WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

3 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Lee is also doing weather from home.

I don't think management was happy how it turned out..  I watched Lee at home during the 5 o'clock hour and the sound was bad.  At 6 they had Jeff do the weather from the Weather Center.  Friday Lee was back at the station.

Bill Ritter is home with what his doctor suspects is a mild case of coronavirus. He was not tested (since those are reserved for people with more advanced symptoms) but will remain home for the time being. He taped portions of this morning’s UpClose at home via Skype. 

34 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Bill Ritter is home with what his doctor suspects is a mild case of coronavirus. He was not tested (since those are reserved for people with more advanced symptoms) but will remain home for the time being. He taped portions of this morning’s UpClose at home via Skype. 

He's 70. He should've gotten tested anyway.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

that’s not how the criteria for testing works and would’ve been a waste of a test. 

In theory if it finds a positive it isn’t a waste of a test. The problem is we don’t have enough tests. Ideally we would be going door to door across the country testing mandatorily.

Just now, ns8401 said:

In theory if it finds a positive it isn’t a waste of a test. The problem is we don’t have enough tests. Ideally we would be going door to door across the country testing mandatorily.

Can't force someone to take a test without a court order, would be a violation of rights. 

59 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Can't force someone to take a test without a court order, would be a violation of rights. 

I suppose that might be a question for a court. In extraordinary circumstances courts have been very lenient on that sort of thing especially in a public welfare situation. It’s pretty easy to argue that is where we are now. That’s the same reason Freedom of speech and assembly don’t apply in these quarantines. Knowing 100% of exactly who has it would make stopping the spread pretty easy.

Edited by ns8401

11 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Regardless, the discussion of COVID 19 and legal rights is not really what should be talking about,

Hopefully Bill feels better and we'll see him back at the desk soon. 

Hopefully so. 

Those weather shots from outside the studio are done with a hard-wired camera, mic and IFB. Depending on the configuration of his home WiFi, it’s possible the signal in Lee’s yard isn’t  strong enough. At my home, the signal inside is fine, but if I take three steps outside the back door, I drop 50%. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

It was a mistake and Bill owned it. With all the talk of people dying from COVID 19, it's an understandable slipup. People aren't perfect. 

True. It's a situation that is volatile given its unpredictability. But that miscommunication tho...script said 'jack died' but NJ Gov. Murphy said he's alive + all, he might as well said christ has risen on top of it, but i digress. One head (writer) at least must face heat (but not roll, a bit cruel, given a volatile jobs environment) after this.

Edited by justin2kx

I was stunned that the story of Jack went down the way it did with Ritter.  I saw it live and started shaking the cobwebs out of my brain.  Sade''s comments after Bill's apology softened the blow. My question is "Who gave Ritter the news Jack passed?"

But credit to Ritter in owing up to it (as if he had a choice).  I'm sure it's just as embarassing  to Michelle who did the original story.  Despite it all, Jack's family and friends won't be watching Ch. 7 EWN till at least the time Bill retires.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

• 1 month later...