WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

A seriously extreme overreaction.

People leave the media industry in droves every single day, just like any industry. Doesn’t Channel 7 have one of the most experienced and long running news teams in NYC? That to me would indicate that they aren’t as bad as your conspiracy suggests.

1 minute ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

If it was non-amicable, it would've been immediately, not April 10.

Also, Michelle has already acknowledged it, so I doubt it. 

While I have problems with Disney as a company, I don't think your conspiracy theory holds water. The only mistake lately was Camille Edwards and the damage she did. 

Yeah... I agree. I don't think this is any different than it's ever been at WABC. I really feel like his departure is voluntary. 

1 minute ago, Vlad said:

Yeah... I agree. I don't think this is any different than it's ever been at WABC. I really feel like his departure is voluntary. 

Maybe April 10 is when his contract is up.  Michelle was silent for a little while and didn't respond when people asked lately until yesterday. Sometimes jobs put you in a position where they want you to leave.   But we will probably never know.  I think that Mike got real popular and  that has something to do with it.  

10 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

A seriously extreme overreaction.

People leave the media industry in droves every single day, just like any industry. Doesn’t Channel 7 have one of the most experienced and long running news teams in NYC? That to me would indicate that they aren’t as bad as your conspiracy suggests.

Hell WABC has 3 reporters with 30+ years at the station (Burkett, Dolan, Fleischer), 12 at 20+ (Ritter, Del Giorno, Goldberg, Evans, Bookman, Charlesworth, Torres, Solis, Sager, Yang,  Glassberg and Pineda), 13 at 10+ (Einiger, Kenyon, Cho, Baderinwa, Johnson,  Novarro (two pieces separated by a stint in CHI, Champion (two stints separated by GMA & TWC), Rosato, Sohn, Yates, Richardson, Smith, Miles). The rest are at 9 or less. 

WABC doesn't have this attitude or turnover. 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nancy said:

Maybe April 10 is when his contract is up.  Michelle was silent for a little while and didn't respond when people asked lately until yesterday. Sometimes jobs put you in a position where they want you to leave.   But we will probably never know.  I think that Mike got real popular and  that has something to do with it.  

The newscast that Mike will likely take over was already extremely popular and dominant with Rob as anchor so I’m not sure that’s it either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nancy said:

I knew it.  When he was scheduled to come back Feb. 1st and didn't I knew something was up.  I bet he was forced out.  When Mike came on the scene he is their new golden boy.  Ken Rosato better watch out. I think Mike will replace him in a couple of years if not sooner.  I know they are grooming Candace, maybe for future weekends with Michele. 

The troll is back I see 

This was 100% Robs choice if not why would they have him working until April?? My question is do they take this as a time to make a few moves or do they just replace Rob? Obviously Mike will play a roll somewhere.. it would be cool to see Joe and Michelle reunite.. they worked very well together and place Mike with Sandra? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Hell WABC has 3 reporters with 30+ years at the station (Burkett, Dolan, Fleischer), 12 at 20+ (Ritter, Del Giorno, Goldberg, Evans, Bookman, Charlesworth, Torres, Solis, Sager, Yang,  Glassberg and Pineda), 13 at 10+ (Einiger, Kenyon, Cho, Baderinwa, Johnson,  Novarro (two pieces separated by a stint in CHI, Champion (two stints separated by GMA & TWC), Rosato, Sohn, Yates, Richardson, Smith, Miles). The rest are at 9 or less. 

WABC doesn't have this attitude or turnover. 

WPVI has even more staff with longer tenure. Pretty sure WLS does too.

15 hours ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, well Rob was a good class act anchor. Sad that he didn't spend as much time there as some of the other seasoned veterans but i'm sure he can always return in the future if there is a fit for him. WABC has gone to hire reporters and anchors whom left only to return again. I do not think he was forced out. Again we don't know the full story but to me someone that is forced out wouldn't write such a beautifully written monologue such as that on Instagram. I feel like he left voluntarily. Aside from WABC Rob has been in the business for a while so maybe he feels like a change in career is good for him. I could also see Rob doing a talk show he just has that kind of personality for that. Wouldn't be suprised if we stumbled on him again on some sort of talk or radio show. Good luck to Rob and his wife!

This statement.. I agree Rob wasn't forced out at all. Parenting is tough, but the rewards are marvelous and that's something that Rob wanted to focus on.  Rob has been in the business for 10+ in the NYC area most with ABC News. There was no bitterness on that statement yesterday.

17 hours ago, Nancy said:

I knew it.  When he was scheduled to come back Feb. 1st and didn't I knew something was up.  I bet he was forced out.  When Mike came on the scene he is their new golden boy.  Ken Rosato better watch out. I think Mike will replace him in a couple of years if not sooner.  I know they are grooming Candace, maybe for future weekends with Michele. 

Ken won't get replaced... 

Marza is in his own lane..

Candace-  excellent reporter. However, not fit for the anchors chair..

15 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

If it was non-amicable, it would've been immediately, not April 10.

Also, Michelle has already acknowledged it, so I doubt it. 

While I have problems with Disney as a company, I don't think your conspiracy theory holds water. The only mistake lately was Camille Edwards and the damage she did. 

Agreed.

9 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

This was 100% Robs choice if not why would they have him working until April?? My question is do they take this as a time to make a few moves or do they just replace Rob? Obviously Mike will play a roll somewhere.. it would be cool to see Joe and Michelle reunite.. they worked very well together and place Mike with Sandra? 

It's just my feeling that I have.  He could be working till April cause that's when his new gig is or what they agreed upon.  But why not go back to do at least one weekend anchor to say goodbye.  I know there is a transition period but if it's Mike taking over people are already used to him.  The statement effective immediately for not returning to anchor hit me the wrong way.  Mind you, I don't think things are ending badly, I think he had a job to come back to with reporting but the anchors job on the weekend because Mike got very popular they decided to go that route.  Just my opinion.  I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just a feeling that I had and I had that feeling way before his statement came out. When he was supposed to return Feb. 1st and did not, that's when I said to myself he is not coming back.   My feelings were right about Chris Cimino too. 

1 minute ago, Spintech33 said:

This statement.. I agree Rob wasn't forced out at all. Parenting is tough, but the rewards are marvelous and that's something that Rob wanted to focus on.  Rob has been in the business for 10+ in the NYC area most with ABC News. There was no bitterness on that statement yesterday.

Ken won't get replaced... 

Marza is in his own lane..

Candace-  excellent reporter. However, not fit for the anchors chair..

Agreed.

It's just a feeling that I have.  Just because Michele says it doesn't mean it's true.  They all have to watch their tongues about what they have to say, or that's what she was told.  Forced out has many meanings.  They could have been changing his job description and he wasn't on board with it and decided to leave. Of course there was no bitterness in his statement. Probably not bitter with co workers but there is also a no disclosure agreement.  This is just my opinion.  The news business can be brutal.  Chris Cimino said nice things too and we later found out he was asked to leave, although the circumstance was different where he dropped the F bomb and Rob was a class act. You just never can totally trust it in any business.

• Confused 1

This was 100% Rob’s choice. His contract was expiring, he was looking for more $$.  He used his time on FMLA to look for new opportunities and one came his way. 
His resignation from the anchor desk effective immediately makes for less confusion for the viewer. Mike has been on for the past 6 months and to have Rob anchor for a month would just create more speculation. 
You’ll find out where he’s off to once his contract is up. Rest assured Rob fans - he is not leaving television. 

The last clear non-amicable departure was Bill Evans. You can see how badly that went given he went missing for a bit and never returned to get a true goodbye despite 30 years of employment. This is clearly the opposite. 

Rob Nelson's a good reporter and good anchor. The fact they're giving him 22 days to enjoy his last days, then the departure is amicable. He's not being forced out. 

2 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

The last clear non-amicable departure was Bill Evans. You can see how badly that went given he went missing for a bit and never returned to get a true goodbye despite 30 years of employment. This is clearly the opposite. 

Rob Nelson's a good reporter and good anchor. The fact they're giving him 22 days to enjoy his last days, then the departure is amicable. He's not being forced out. 

I can't remember clearly but wasn't Lori Stokes' departure also somewhat rough?

• 3 weeks later...

Where in the world is Liz Cho? 

I notice she was not on at least part of last week.  Missing Monday and Tuesday so far.  Vacation?  Maybe, but I would think one that was scheduled would be mutually postponed because you can't go anywhere......unless she doesn't want to come to work and wants to be sheltered in place at home with Josh and the kids.