WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Let me say this when I made the post I started with. I didn't mean to insinuate they only worked 8 1/2 hours on  air and in between. I know that they commonly have long commutes in and also do lots of prep work. I just feel like Ken & Shirleen shouldn't have to spend 8 1/2 hours on broadcasts (and in between stuff) unless it's stipulated. I legitimately apologize. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Let me say this when I made the post I started with. I didn't mean to insinuate they only worked 8 1/2 hours on  air and in between. I know that they commonly have long commutes in and also do lots of prep work. I just feel like Ken & Shirleen shouldn't have to spend 8 1/2 hours on broadcasts (and in between stuff) unless it's stipulated. I legitimately apologize. 

Listen, no worries. Although the points are valid you just gotta remember that everyone else may have their own spin of things. Working 8.5 hours a day in the #1 market is no easy fate.
Perhaps WABC doesn't have a breaking news anchor or an anchor who could do cut-ins during the GMA hour while Ken and Shirleen are prepping for the 12 noon newscast. 

If you go down the dial to WNBC and WCBS, they have similar situations.

However, in the case of WNBC their morning anchors don't anchor the 11AM news,  they have a breaking news anchor(s), and unless the 11AM anchors are off.

Only WABC and WCBS  have the same morning anchors broadcast the news at noon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MetroCity said:

At WABC, the afternoon (4PM) anchor’s day starts around 10AM. The evening (5/6/11) anchor’s day starts at 2:00PM. Their time is spent in story meetings, writing some of their own copy, doing newsbriefs, writing or recording for online platforms, prepping for and recording public affairs shows, working on sweeps projects, mentoring interns, and yes, anchoring.

Anybody who doesn’t understand how a newsroom workday actually works should get a job in one and stop watching Mary Tyler Moore Show reruns.

When did the WABC evening anchors quit taking 2-3 hour dinners?

Last night?

(pssst...don't tell those new kids over at Scripps, they might only get 1/2-1hr lunch)

Edited by Eat News
Momoland-Thumbs Up .. https://youtu.be/TbuP2ypiTRc?list=PLEOiHV2JOcSZgnF9FcOaJvQ-zP9nlCgxU

On 1/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, MorningNews said:

Moving off this topic to another question regarding WABC. Why are there talent opens used at Noon, 4 and 6 but not 5 and 11? Sorry if this has already been mentioned

On 1/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, wabceyewitness said:

It is a bit strange but it’s a timing preference on WABC’s part. They want a quick transition to the 5pm news to retain the 4pm audience, so they dropped the 5pm talent open years ago (they brought it back briefly during Diana’s last week anchoring).

At 11, they want to retain as many primetime viewers as possible so they get right to the news.

The 6pm is still seen as the signature newscast of record for the day, so it gets a talent open and “fresh start” rather than the quick transition.  

Plus at 5p & 11p has a weather open with Lee standing at the chroma instead of him at the desk during the full weather forecast.

6 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Interesting they would go so far out of market for a sub.

Steve Stewart came in last week as well from WTVD. However, he is king of graphics.

The issue is the only one they've brought in recently who has a general idea of the area, and that was Spencer Christian which was great in June.

Admittedly, if WABC wanted to hire a freelance for this situation, John Bolaris is a free agent. 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam

WABC is the only major market ABC O&O to carry only 4 meteorologists, with one of them being a veritable talking head (I love Same, but his arrangement limits his availability outside of M-Th mornings). With a middle of the road weekly output, there is absolutely no reason why they can't have a permanent 5th, or at least a regular, locally-based freelancer.

• Like 2

The fun is right now even WKBW, in Buffalo where I'm stuck, has 5 full-time meteorologists. They also had 8 at one point last year. 

I don't mind the 4 meteorologist system, but even someone from WPVI would be an improvement over Raleigh-Durham stations. 

Ultimately, a freelance is probably the best approach. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 11:31 PM, rkolsen said:

607A4005-07FB-4BD4-AEA9-480888638D08.thumb.png.6c2258f53d68f3f4a5a99c4d5a72eadf.png

If you're wondering what ABC 7 did with the old monitor backdrop, wonder no more.  It's been donated to Hofstra University. 

I believe the previous Hofstra set was from ESPN.  Before that, many years ago, they had parts of a "News 2" set from the "More News in Less Time, Every Time" era.  Looks like a huge upgrade.  

WABC news graphics and same ABC7 logo appeared in episode 6 of ABC’s show Emergence. The site wouldn’t let me screenshot it. (Also seen in the recap prior to episode 7).

I’ve seen WNBC graphics on various NBC shows over the years but can’t remember seeing one for WABC. 

15 minutes ago, abc7 Man said:

WABC news graphics and same ABC7 logo appeared in episode 6 of ABC’s show Emergence. The site wouldn’t let me screenshot it. (Also seen in the recap prior to episode 7).

I’ve seen WNBC graphics on various NBC shows over the years but can’t remember seeing one for WABC. 

WNBC graphics and possibly talent were actually used in the show's pilot. It must've been produced with NBC in mind, before ABC picked it up.

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

WNBC graphics and possibly talent were actually used in the show's pilot. It must've been produced with NBC in mind, before ABC picked it up.

Correct. NBC originally ordered the pilot from ABC Studios. NBC declined to pick it up as a series. ABC then ordered it as a series from ABC Studios. 

8 hours ago, abc7 Man said:

WABC News has been featured more and more in ABC television shows the last few years. They have sometimes appeared in movies but used to steer clear of television shows up until recently.  

Edited by wabceyewitness

23 hours ago, brianpr3 said:

I remember him doing this on CBS for The Saturday Early Show (and I think he brought it over to CBS 2 as well sometimes).  I had no idea he had been doing this far longer than that.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

Ira Joe was WABC from 1983- August 1985 because he got tired of being a 2nd man to Storm Field, wanting more to do, and they let him go from his mllion dollar contract early (due to end in 1986). He went back to WKRC (where he was before WABC) for three years until his show (The Ira Joe Fisher Show) was canned in December 1988. 

Ira Joe Fisher returned to the Big Apple at WNBC in May 1989 to do fill-in work for Linda Church, who was on maternity leave. That stretch ended up being through April 30, 1995, when he jumped shipped from WNBC to WCBS. At WCBS he ended up being in multiple roles, including being kicked to the mornings and afternoons for Mark Danon, which went well till he ended up being busted trying to buy a gram of cocaine. David Rogers from WKYC replaced Danon. 

Ira Joe's contract at WCBS was not renewed in August 2002 after being kicked back to mornings from noon in favour of Janine D'Adamo, and some idiot on the radio decided to duct tape himself to a utility pole in Carteret, NJ just off the Turnpike as a stunt to help get Ira Joe work after his contract was renewed.  

Edited by Roadgeek Adam
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 7:59 PM, brianpr3 said:

Anyone know the name of the song that played at the end of the newscast? I remember it well, but tried using one of the music recognizing apps, with no luck.

Edited by StudioTech

1 hour ago, StudioTech said:

Anyone know the name of the song that played at the end of the newscast? I remember it well, but tried using one of the music recognizing apps, with no luck.

You're talking about in this video? That the instrumental of ABC's Still The One campaign, made by JAM Creative Productions.

Vid courtesy of JAM Creative's YT page.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

The promo music is an adaptation of a pop song called “Still The One”, recorded in 1976 by the group “Orleans”. (Not to be confused with a very different song with the same name from Shania Twain.)

Edited by MetroCity