WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

ABC must be having some kind of master control issue, because this has been happening sometimes on WLS, lately. That's the logo that flashes during the final few seconds of network promos, but it appears that someone or something is failing to turn it off, so it just keeps blinking.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vlad said:

I love Kristin's style of reporting. She's super engaging and very compelling the way she tells her stories. So glad she's back!

Here's a demo reel from the mid 2010s in honor of her.

Not bad... 

7 minutes ago, 24994J said:

ABC must be having some kind of master control issue, because this has been happening sometimes on WLS, lately. That's the logo that flashes during the final few seconds of network promos, but it appears that someone or something is failing to turn it off, so it just keeps blinking.

Are the master controls hubbed these days?

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

No idea, but it can't just be a coincidence.

No it can’t, if they are all doing it that suggests it’s hubbed. Now that I think about it I seem to recall their Fresno station having some hub operations though I can’t remember what for...

31 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

ABC I believe hubbed their master controls within the past two years. They’re all based out of Encompass which recently handled the NBC O&Os and I believe the CBS O&Os.

10 hours ago, 24994J said:

I've been under the assumption that the bug/logo is inserted at the station level - and that simply WLS' graphics overlay was on the blink since I saw it happening during a newscast recently. If it's at MC/Encompass, however...

Not sure if there’s any rhyme or reason, but why does Bill Ritter anchor 5-6:30 instead of David Novarro anchoring 6 with Liz? Just seems like it would make sense to more evenly divide those newscasts.

Was there a reason that Ken Rosato was moved off of the noon show but Shirleen remained? 

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Not sure if there’s any rhyme or reason, but why does Bill Ritter anchor 5-6:30 instead of David Novarro anchoring 6 with Liz? Just seems like it would make sense to more evenly divide those newscasts.

Was there a reason that Ken Rosato was moved off of the noon show but Shirleen remained? 

David works noon and 4. Getting 4 was part of getting David back from CHI. Bill and Liz at 6 have been the norm for quite a while since Liz left the 11 for 4. As for why Bill at 5, he chose to take over for Diana is my guess. 

As for Ken, he and Lori were both taken off the 12-1 shift to relieve the load of work. Bill (and now Sam) still work both, but there was a place needed for Shirleen, and Ken and  Lori at the time got a break working from 4:30-7. Lori's leaving put Shirleen at mornings as well. Of course, Ken has a ton of seniority.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Roadgeek Adam said:

David works noon and 4. Getting 4 was part of getting David back from CHI. Bill and Liz at 6 have been the norm for quite a while since Liz left the 11 for 4. As for why Bill at 5, he chose to take over for Diana is my guess. 

As for Ken, he and Lori were both taken off the 12-1 shift to relieve the load of work. Bill (and now Sam) still work both, but there was a place needed for Shirleen, and Ken and  Lori at the time got a break working from 4:30-7. Lori's leaving put Shirleen at mornings as well. Of course, Ken has a ton of seniority.

I wonder if Shirleen will eventually also step down from the Noon Broadcast. Seems like its a lot for her to do. Especially now that she's a mother of two..

On 12/31/2019 at 5:54 PM, MorningNews said:

On 12/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Roadgeek Adam said:

10 minutes ago, Vlad said:

I wonder if Shirleen will eventually also step down from the Noon Broadcast. Seems like its a lot for her to do. Especially now that she's a mother of two..

Seems like it would make more sense to have David and Liz handle Noon and 5pm, and Bill and Sade 4pm, 6pm, and 11pm.

Or if Ken were to retake the noon, then David and Liz at 4pm and 6pm, and Bill and Sade at 5pm and 11pm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Seems like it would make more sense to have David and Liz handle Noon and 5pm, and Bill and Sade 4pm, 6pm, and 11pm.

Or if Ken were to retake the noon, then David and Liz at 4pm and 6pm, and Bill and Sade at 5pm and 11pm. 

Yeah this is more of what I had in mind. Seems odd to have Bill go from 5-6:30 while Sade and Liz trade off. 4:30-7 and again from 12-1 really that taxing? Lori, Steve and Ken did that for years.

15 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Yeah this is more of what I had in mind. Seems odd to have Bill go from 5-6:30 while Sade and Liz trade off. 4:30-7 and again from 12-1 really that taxing? Lori, Steve and Ken did that for years.

I think after Lisa died they wanted to rest etc 

Working from 4:30-1 is 8 and a half hours in the building. (not to mention getting there, among other things) No one else in the Eyewitness News anchor department hosts in a stretch more than 6 1/2. The fact that Shirleen is working 4:30-1 means at some point she'll probably go from 4:30-7 unless it's stipulated in her contract. 

Bill only works 6 1/2 (5-11:32) 

David works 4 (12 to 4:58) 

Sade works 6 1/2 (5-11:32) 

Liz works 2 1/2 (4 to 6:30)

Sandra works 7 (5 to 12)

Joe works 7 (5 to 12)

I don't see it being fair to force people to work for 8 and a half hours. 

9 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Working from 4:30-1 is 8 and a half hours in the building. (not to mention getting there, among other things) No one else in the Eyewitness News anchor department hosts in a stretch more than 6 1/2. The fact that Shirleen is working 4:30-1 means at some point she'll probably go from 4:30-7 unless it's stipulated in her contract. 

Sandra works 7 (5 to 12)

Joe works 7 (5 to 12)

They are usually there 1-2 hours before air in addition to what you have there... so their days are rather long as is... some of them may enjoy their jobs so much that they don’t mind working a lot. The old saying about finding a job you love and it not really feeling like work....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Sandra works 7 (5 to 12)

Joe works 7 (5 to 12)

Ummm you do realize you’re talking about their air time right? They’re in the building longer than that prepping and such.. 

• Like 3

I’m so confused, other than a slew of insinuations who here actually said that the anchor’s day is only consisting of their airtime? Who said that at all? I’m so over this “it’s unfair to work that many hours” when 98% of America works a 9 hour workday with an hour lunch and make a lot less money than the anchors in the top media market. Give the pity parties a rest on this narrative please. Beyond that, at a majority of stations across the nation the morning anchors also anchor their station’s midday broadcasts. The question as to why Ken and Shirleen don’t both anchor like Lori Stokes did for the better half of two decades is a fair one.

Do Ken and Shirleen do the cut-ins during GMA? I find it hard to believe that they’re staying put for 6 hours in the building between 7 am - 12 noon. Similarly to how the evening anchors go home after 6 and return before 11. 

Again, you’re making some lofty assumptions and I’m not sure where you’re pulling them from. I think the anchors are paid very appropriately for the work that they do and results they bring, I don’t have any outrage over that. I’m simply pointing to the complaints by most people here that a news anchors commitments are so difficult when a majority of the country works the same long hours and is not paid nearly as much. It’s the standard in our country.

Further, as I stated many people don’t stay put. Typical work standards require mandated lunch periods and periodic breaks throughout the work day. Your statements make it seem like anchor’s are tied to their desks like prisoners in your attempts to paint the “woe is the life of television news.” I can’t speak for NYC, but the anchors at the top Houston television station definitely head home for a bit during the breaks between the 6 and 10 pm news.

Now step off your podium, professor.

16 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Moving off this topic to another question regarding WABC. Why are there talent opens used at Noon, 4 and 6 but not 5 and 11? Sorry if this has already been mentioned

I kinda find that strange although there's promo of Bill, Sade and Lee at 5:00PM. 

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Moving off this topic to another question regarding WABC. Why are there talent opens used at Noon, 4 and 6 but not 5 and 11? Sorry if this has already been mentioned

It is a bit strange but it’s a timing preference on WABC’s part. They want a quick transition to the 5pm news to retain the 4pm audience, so they dropped the 5pm talent open years ago (they brought it back briefly during Diana’s last week anchoring).

At 11, they want to retain as many primetime viewers as possible so they get right to the news.

The 6pm is still seen as the signature newscast of record for the day, so it gets a talent open and “fresh start” rather than the quick transition.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MetroCity said:

Not assumptions. Experience from working in New York, and other markets around the country. Unlike you, I CAN speak for NYC. 

Typical work standards, as you call them, might have different requirements for people who sign personal services contracts, that contain very specific details of work responsibilities. Those contracts also contain financial add-ons  (called penalties) for those differences, as well as a whole lot of vacation and personal time as added compensation. And nobody says anchors are chained to their desks. They are generally allowed bathroom breaks. (Google: Humor)

And, having also worked in multiple markets in Texas, I can tell you there’s a huge difference between leaving Bissonnet Street to go home for dinner in River Oaks or Montrose, than there is in going from West 67th Street to Montclair, New Jersey or Greenwich, Connecticut. I also doubt that Houston anchors who live in The Woodlands do a lot of running home for dinner. 

My real concern is people who make broad assumptions and criticisms about places they’ve never worked or lived.

You’re misunderstanding, which seems to be a theme for you. I asked a question about why it doesn’t make sense for Bill to hand off the 6 pm to David so that he isn’t anchoring a 1.5 hour show. And you’re response was to lecture the entire forum on the intricacies of channel 7’s off camera schedules and build sympathy for “long work days.” You’re tone and frustration is stemmed from a suggestion that Shirleen and Ken could anchor the mornings and noon newscasts to allow for greater parity in their evening news schedules? I’m in the craphole known as NYC more often than I’d ever like to be so nice assumption there on your part, again.

• Concerned 1