WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, RGSJenkins said:

The last time Chapin's voice was heard in NYC was between 2004-06 on WNYW, and on WNBC from 1995-03.

Man, he sounds awful.

4 minutes ago, NateinFLA said:

Completely off topic (but it’s TVNT so 🤷🏻‍♂️) I have no idea why Bill St. James hasn’t been used by local stations as they look to replace CVD.

I was thinking Scott Chapin was mulling retirement a few years ago.  It wouldn't surprise me if Ed Ansin, owner of stations in Boston and Miami made him a sweet deal to stick around a little while longer.  I'd imagine a few other Fox O&O's and Cox stations still have Chapin voicing their news opens and promos.

Other voice-over I can think of, but not sure if any of the NYC stations use... Names like Bill Ratner, Bob Tracey, and Paul Turner.  I don't know if WPIX still has Jim Cutler.  Good female VO would be Roberta Solomon.  I'd agree that Charlie Van Dyke may be inching closer to retirement.

Ratner was used during the 2000s decade on WCBS & later WNBC. And I'm sure Tracey was also used on WPIX at one point or another.

Should Chapin be used on Channel 7 permanently, this will be the third station he's been used in town, after WNBC during the 90s thru the early 2000s (the original 4NY & NewsChannel eras), and WNYW during the mid 2000s.

Edited by CircleSeven

Noticed something last night during the 6PM Newscast.  Andrew Brill from ESPN Radio New York- Host of ESPN New York Tonight covered for Sam Ryan. His story is very interesting. I'm probably 24 1/2 months late with this.  However, good to see a face from ESPN Radio on WABCTV.  

10 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'd imagine a few other Fox O&O's and Cox stations still have Chapin voicing their news opens and promos.

WPXI still uses him in their opens and a few promos. Brian Lee voices over most other station promos.

He actually didn't sound bad in the promo above. CVD's voice is deteriorating, and IMO, Chapin could be a decent replacement...

Edited by tjt24

3 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Noticed something last night during the 6PM Newscast.  Andrew Brill from ESPN Radio New York- Host of ESPN New York Tonight covered for Sam Ryan. His story is very interesting. I'm probably 24 1/2 months late with this.  However, good to see a face from ESPN Radio on WABCTV.  

Andrew's been with WFSB for the last year or so.

18 hours ago, NateinFLA said:

Completely off topic (but it’s TVNT so 🤷🏻‍♂️) I have no idea why Bill St. James hasn’t been used by local stations as they look to replace CVD.

He doesn't seem to do local stuff. The only things he seems to do now are Adult Swim and his weekend radio show TimeWarp. He voiced Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite for years, plus both HBO and Showtime.

30 minutes ago, Spectrum27 said:

He doesn't seem to do local stuff. The only things he seems to do now are Adult Swim and his weekend radio show TimeWarp. He voiced Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite for years, plus both HBO and Showtime.

He also does Sunday Night Football.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:31 PM, RGSJenkins said:

The last time Chapin's voice was heard in NYC was between 2004-06 on WNYW, and on WNBC from 1995-03.

Man, he sounds awful.

Compare that to this news promo from WNBC from July of 1992, one of the first days with him. It sounds almost like a completely different person:

Edited by hmaxhanson

On 9/19/2019 at 2:09 AM, justin2kx said:

I was wondering what's up with Tony. During the WPLJ Radio Reunion in May, the day before it signed off, there were mentions of Tony being an alumnus of the station but couldn't make it to Reunion Day. Both 'PLJ + LIVE are based in NYC, but i'm not sure where he lives. You'd think if he was in the area, he'd make it there, but that said it raises such warning signs though. God forbid this isn't another Chris Corley or Ed Hopkins. 🙏

Just happened to be up for Live today, and Kelly and Ryan had a couple minutes towards the end of host chat to say that Tony is indeed retiring, and paid a very nice tribute to him.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

On 11/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, CircleSeven said:

Ratner was used during the 2000s decade on WCBS & later WNBC. And I'm sure Tracey was also used on WPIX at one point or another.

Should Chapin be used on Channel 7 permanently, this will be the third station he's been used in town, after WNBC during the 90s thru the early 2000s (the original 4NY & NewsChannel eras), and WNYW during the mid 2000s.

Agreed. Bill Ratner should do V/Os for the ABC O&Os - sounds great in Chicago. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Wait.. Jim Hoffer retired?

Yes, it was quietly announced last spring at the same time the station announced Diana Williams would retire in September.  Jim left in June and preferred to call it “moving on”, not a retirement.  His next chapter is opening a craft beer and community entertainment venue in his hometown of Lititz, PA.

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

Jim's new place is the Lititz Shirt Factory. It hasn't opened yet, but they are restoring a place to be the new brewery. 

As for going with 1 investigator, they seem to be pretty content with replacing in kind rather than eliminating any positions. The only one that's a little unusual is Mike Marza, whose role seems extra. (As retirements go up, that will probably change.) Sam Champion replaced Bill Evans, Sam Ryan replaced Laura Benkhe, Derick Waller replaced Dray Clark, so on and so forth. 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam

30 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Jim's new place is the Lititz Shirt Factory. It hasn't opened yet, but they are restoring a place to be the new brewery. 

As for going with 1 investigator, they seem to be pretty content with replacing in kind rather than eliminating any positions. The only one that's a little unusual is Mike Marza, whose role seems extra. (As retirements go up, that will probably change.) Sam Champion replaced Bill Evans, Sam Ryan replaced Laura Benkhe, Derick Waller replaced Dray Clark, so on and so forth. 

I hope Robin Baumgarten gets invited to the grand opening.

Edited by TheOneManHerd
  • Haha 7