WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

What happened to Michelle Charlesworth and Rob Nelson on the weekends? I have not been watching as much on weekends because of the summer. I turned it on last weekend and this morning and they are not on. I love Rob and Michelle. I see Amy is still on. I hope this is just temporary. I remember Rob saying awhile back Michelle  was going to fill in on weekday mornings or something but do not panic she would be back.   

4 hours ago, Jacksonjohn1961 said:

What happened to Michelle Charlesworth and Rob Nelson on the weekends? I have not been watching as much on weekends because of the summer. I turned it on last weekend and this morning and they are not on. I love Rob and Michelle. I see Amy is still on. I hope this is just temporary. I remember Rob saying awhile back Michelle  was going to fill in on weekday mornings or something but do not panic she would be back.   

Rob is probably off.. Michelle is covering weekdays for Shirleen. 

Thanks. I am glad to hear. I have been watching them for the last couple of years. . I always thought he was a bachelor. I remember awhile back  Michelle and Amy teasing him they were going set him up on a date. Congrats to Rob.  It’s funny how you watch these people and you feel like you know them. 

If Chad were smart, he would make Michelle permanent weekday AMs - leave Shirleen at Noon.
She should have had the position from the get-go, as there is real chemistry between Michelle and Ken, and the morning show numbers have been up since she went on leave.
Shirleen is a great newsreader - but her interactions with others just seem forced. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

If Chad were smart, he would make Michelle permanent weekday AMs - leave Shirleen at Noon.
She should have had the position from the get-go, as there is real chemistry between Michelle and Ken, and the morning show numbers have been up since she went on leave.
Shirleen is a great newsreader - but her interactions with others just seem forced. 

I doubt that will happen since Rob and Michelle do very well on the weekends, although I wonder if Shirleen will go back to strictly noon at some point now that she's had her second child. To be honest, I was surprised she even picked up the morning newscasts since that happened right after she came back from having her first child. WABC does have a chance to groom some new anchors, as they've been doing with Mike Marza and Candace McCowan, and longtime fill-in stalwarts like Toni Yates and Lauren Glassberg. I do know WABC is doing new promos for all of the newscasts in the coming weeks, so I doubt any major changes are happening. It doesn't seem like they'll be hiring any other anchors to fill any gaps anytime soon. 

16 hours ago, nynewsguy said:

Fascinating to learn that the numbers are up during this period. I agree about the chemistry between Ken and Michelle... and that she should have gotten the job in the first place. I wonder if the powers that be will acknowledge Michelle’s contribution to the ratings spike, or if they will attribute the numbers to Sam. I do enjoy Shirleen, but I will miss Michelle when this period is over. 

Edited by LarryFlick

Michelle always belonged on weekday mornings. Only reason she didn’t get it when Lori left was because of the previous unethical ND who also didn’t promote white talent. I see Shirleen as much more of a nightside anchor. 

Edited by anchorman

Interesting about perspective on this. Hesitate to say that the only reason Michelle didn't get the M-F job is only because of an allegedly racist News Director. Michelle is talented, definitely well-equipped with anchoring and reporting chops, that are quite frankly, well-suited for weekends. Weekends demand a truly special kind of talent and connection with viewers. Personally, I'd rather see her at noon if any where M-F. I've been watching Michelle and WABC for more than half of my life. I could also see Shirleen going nights down the line. And let's be clear, Ken is a one-of-a-kind, can't say that he seems to be the easiest to find chemistry with. LOVED Steve Bartelstein before him, but we remember how that ended, despite the great chemistry, he, Lori, Dave, and Joe all had. 

Trust me - if you knew what everyone was going through in the days of Bartelstein - you would be thankful he was gone. Yes he had charisma and talent and great chemistry with Lori - but he also had demons that were much stronger. The man was offered help countless times and turned it down. The final straw broke when he was caught stalking an intern. It was sad to watch - but everyone saw it coming. Drugs can do horrible things to great people - and Steve’s story is just one example. 

9 minutes ago, nynewsguy said:

Trust me - if you knew what everyone was going through in the days of Bartelstein - you would be thankful he was gone. Yes he had charisma and talent and great chemistry with Lori - but he also had demons that were much stronger. The man was offered help countless times and turned it down. The final straw broke when he was caught stalking an intern. It was sad to watch - but everyone saw it coming. Drugs can do horrible things to great people - and Steve’s story is just one example. 

it was, indeed, a bad era. There was a live on air fight between Steve and Bill Evans. There was the day he was passed out at his desk and missed a live broadcast. He was notorious in Chelsea, the NY gayborhood where he lived. I think there was a combination of shell shocked faces and celebrations when he was finally fired. A real shame. 

6 hours ago, LarryFlick said:

it was, indeed, a bad era. There was a live on air fight between Steve and Bill Evans. There was the day he was passed out at his desk and missed a live broadcast. He was notorious in Chelsea, the NY gayborhood where he lived. I think there was a combination of shell shocked faces and celebrations when he was finally fired. A real shame. 

This is the “argument” that Larry had mentioned. He did not pronounce the name “Melania Knaus” (Melania Trump now) correctly and Bill wanted him to say it again and Steve asked why don’t you read it and the argument ensues with Lori in the middle of it. All three of them are no longer with WABC. Steve is out of the news business altogether, Lori is on Good Day New York on Fox 5 and Bill is on the radio out east on Long Island.

Let’s be honest the chemistry between Steve, Lori and Bill was great.. they all just flowed well together kind of like Greg and Rosanna.. some people just “mesh” well.. it’s hard to find. I really wanted Jeff Rosen to get Steve’s position when that happened.. but Ken was obviously a great choice.. I agree with previous posts where Michelle should’ve gotten the morning show.. Shirleen would do well at like 4:00.. if an anchor shake up we’re to happen I wouldn’t mind seeing Shirleen moved a bit later. 

• Like 1

Let me throw my 2 cents in here right quick:  It takes a dedicated news anchor team to work weekday mornings and weekend mornings.  For some of you guys that are bickering about Michelle working mornings and Shirleen working PM's right now is not going to happen. Are they both great journalists (YES), and they both have a cult following. So I say this, sometimes things work out the way they are and what is not broken doesn't need to be fixed.  Let's just enjoy the moments for now until both anchors return to their regularly scheduled slots.

Edited by Spintech33
Sentence structure.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Let me throw my 2 cents in here right quick:  It takes a dedicated news anchor team to work weekday mornings and weekend mornings.  For some of you guys that are bickering about Michelle working mornings and Shirleen working PM's right now is not going to happen. Are they both great journalists (YES), and they both have a cult following. So I say this, sometimes things work out the way they are and what is not broken doesn't need to be fixed.  Let's just enjoy the moments for now until both anchors return to their regularly scheduled slots.

I love these words! Totally agree!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LarryFlick said:

I love these words! Totally agree!!!

Thank You.. WABC-TV is the #1 station for a reason. Why break up the current anchor pairings for new ones. All the fill-ins are doing a great job even the ones you normally don't see like Lauren Glassburg, Candice McCovan, Mike Marza and Danelle Leigh just to name a few of the fill-ins.

7 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Does WABC have a new voice for their news promos?

It's Mr. "You're Watching NBC 4, The Tri-State News Channel". Now he's the voice of New York's official TV station for WHEEL OF FORTUNE!

I guess the reason for why Mr. Chapin  is now the new voice for WABC is that Charlie van Dyke is getting old.

Edited by PBC5NewsUnova