WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

53 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

They used the video screen to the right of the news desk during the 4 PM newscast.

capture_20190829_184846.thumb.jpg.12ddd549a2da18bd428953ce4b1ac7b0.jpg

The abrupt end to the main screen adjacent with the random solid blue behind Liz looked silly when they launched the set, and still looks just as silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

They used the video screen to the right of the news desk during the 4 PM newscast.

capture_20190829_184846.thumb.jpg.12ddd549a2da18bd428953ce4b1ac7b0.jpg

Wait, they added an actual video screen there? I thought that was just an Accuweather-themed backdrop they occasionally superimpose stuff over.

23 minutes ago, Spectrum27 said:

Wait, they added an actual video screen there? I thought that was just an Accuweather-themed backdrop they occasionally superimpose stuff over.

It’s a video screen as of a few weeks ago.. 

Edited by RealNews18

The current EWN music is officially 20 years old and still sounds as good as new!

Here is what WABC-TV looked like back in late August / early September of 1999 when it switched over to the current cuts of Gari’s “Eyewitness News” and, briefly, became “ABC7 Eyewitness News”.  

5pm News short open, talent open, bumper:

https://youtu.be/VMjL2FswYeU

“Coming Up” promo (from a few months later in May 2000):

https://youtu.be/muESKwhgafk

• Like 4

15 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

The current EWN music is officially 20 years old and still sounds as good as new!

Here is what WABC-TV looked like back in late August / early September of 1999 when it switched over to the current cuts of Gari’s “Eyewitness News” and, briefly, became “ABC7 Eyewitness News”.  

5pm News short open, talent open, bumper:

https://youtu.be/VMjL2FswYeU

“Coming Up” promo (from a few months later in May 2000):

https://youtu.be/muESKwhgafk

I have a feeling they will continue to use this music until they switch to the new building. The music is good, just wish they could use more of their package. 

I’ve always preferred the “ABC 7” branding better than the “Channel 7” but I doubt that ever change lol. I think they should rebrand themselves as ABC 7 for consistency especially since their website is called “ABC 7 NY”. I feel like saying “Channel Seven” in 2020 is like so dated. They switched back to the “Channel 7” branding in 2004. I remember we had a big discussion on that back then on this site haha.

I remembered one of the arguments was that the word “Chan-nel” was easier to say than “A-B-C”. Flows better, less syllables.

Another argument was the audience, older folks especially the baby boomers and native New Yorkers whom watch the broadcast call it “Channel 7”.

Where in conversation they would say;

“Yo, did you see that story on Channel Seven? That was Crazy!” Lol. With that New Yawk accent haha.

Out of curiosity, I’ve always wondered, does anyone know if they include Sam Champion for the Friday talent Morning and Noon opens since Sam does not work on Fridays?

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

I have a feeling they will continue to use this music until they switch to the new building. The music is good, just wish they could use more of their package. 

I’ve always preferred the “ABC 7” branding better than the “Channel 7” but I doubt that ever change lol. I think they should rebrand themselves as ABC 7 for consistency especially since their website is called “ABC 7 NY”. I feel like saying “Channel Seven” in 2020 is like so dated. They switched back to the “Channel 7” branding in 2004. I remember we had a big discussion on that back then on this site haha.

I remembered one of the arguments was that the word “Chan-nel” was easier to say than “A-B-C”. Flows better, less syllables.

Another argument was the audience, older folks especially the baby boomers and native New Yorkers whom watch the broadcast call it “Channel 7”.

“Yo, did you see that story on Channel Seven? That was Crazy!” Lol. With that New Yawk accent haha.

Out of curiosity, I’ve always wondered, does anyone know if they include Sam Champion for the Friday talent Morning and Noon opens since Sam does not work on Fridays?

Yes. They use the talent open fir both shows on Fridays

3 hours ago, Vlad said:

Some markets are like that... they will use Channel x or just the number when referring to a station. The ABC7 thing shouldn’t be a one size fits all if it really doesn’t fit with the market or the audiences attitudes towards the station very well.

Channel 7 emphasizes the local aspect... ABC7 emphasizes that they are abc and the 7 is secondary to that so it’s really all about who the audience is and how you want to present the station’s identity to that audience. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Some markets are like that... they will use Channel x or just the number when referring to a station. The ABC7 thing shouldn’t be a one size fits all if it really doesn’t fit with the market or the audiences attitudes towards the station very well.

Channel 7 emphasizes the local aspect... ABC7 emphasizes that they are abc and the 7 is secondary to that so it’s really all about who the audience is and how you want to present the station’s identity to that audience. 

Completely agree. We as fans can identify the affiliates but when speaking with family and friends of all ages it's rare that someone knows what I mean when I say the "ABC channel" but know exactly what I'm referring to if I say "Channel 13."

ABC 7 doesn't even sound right for WABC haha. WLS in Chicago is the only one that can pull it off. Does KABC use Eyewitness News, ABC 7 or Channel 7?

I prefer “Channel 7” vs “ABC7”

WPVI also uses “Channel 6” in lieu of “6ABC” and I think “6ABC Action News” is a bit of a mouthful anyway.

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Completely agree. We as fans can identify the affiliates but when speaking with family and friends of all ages it's rare that someone knows what I mean when I say the "ABC channel" but know exactly what I'm referring to if I say "Channel 13."

ABC 7 doesn't even sound right for WABC haha. WLS in Chicago is the only one that can pull it off. Does KABC use Eyewitness News, ABC 7 or Channel 7?

ABC7.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 2:33 PM, MorningNews said:

Does KABC use Eyewitness News, ABC 7 or Channel 7?

They go by ABC 7.

As for here in Chicago, at least when talking in the office about whatever may be on TV on any given day, I never hear them refer to it as ABC 7 - always as "Channel 7". Just as WGN is always, well, WGN and not "Channel 9" but I digress.

• Like 2

There is a special "Celebrating Diana" at 5 pm on Thursday (9/12), the last of her time.

They also posted her first report on Twitter, back when she was reporting and anchoring weekends. 

https://abc7ny.com/society/diana-williams-first-wabc-report-on-1991-at-t-phone-fiasco/5525995/

• Like 4

On 9/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, IceManNYR said:

The walls of the interview area got a remodel.

vlcsnap-2019-09-10-14h06m53s509.thumb.png.0b553cccb8a4a63eb756dacc9eff8277.png

It’s a nice addition but could they consider adding some more contrast and not painting or lighting every thing in a shade of blue?  I love the EWN blue theme, but maybe some wood paneling, a faux bookshelf.. something ? 

Edited by wabceyewitness

Hello all! New to this site but not new to news programs. And snark!

This is an incredible site! So glad I found it, and so glad to read your comments. 

Re: Diana Williams sendoff today. They did a decent job for her. I wish someone had a big thing of flowers and balloons or something at the very end. Would have been nice.

She really is the picture of grace and professionalism. And she looks better now than ever, even after all the family tragedies. I want to be like her when I grow up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Does anyone know what is going on with "Live With Kelly & Ryan" announcer Tony Pigg? 
Since mid last week Ryan Seacrest has being doing the show intro.

I was wondering what's up with Tony. During the WPLJ Radio Reunion in May, the day before it signed off, there were mentions of Tony being an alumnus of the station but couldn't make it to Reunion Day. Both 'PLJ + LIVE are based in NYC, but i'm not sure where he lives. You'd think if he was in the area, he'd make it there, but that said it raises such warning signs though. God forbid this isn't another Chris Corley or Ed Hopkins. 🙏

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Looks like the ABC O&Os are now partnering on reports. WABC will air a “7 On Your Side Investigates” report on the return of measles during Monday’s 5pm broadcast. It’s billed as “An ABC Owned Television Stations Data Investigation”.  

From their creative services department (and the obvious font choice), WLS produced this graphic.

5556582_1280x720-Measles.thumb.jpeg.cabf3187f30b3a567ded083d83178f96.jpeg

Edited by 24994J