WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

On 8/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, Roadgeek Adam said:

The other thing is under accessibility standards, people are going more and more to Capital letter then lowercase text. WABC's new graphics do that well. KABC's do not.

I do agree that the graphics are minimalistic, but I feel like they are much much cleaner and more appealing. I just feel like the west coast stations (KFSN, KGO and KABC) iWABC's just seems a bit sloppy, rushed, amateurish, and have super poor attention to detail. They honestly should've stayed with what they had back in 2011 - 2016 with the Giant Octopus, why did they change something that was not broken? 😑

image.png.4256041bcc92f5d6b48caad39af4f861.png

ncs_wabc_008.JPG

ncs_kabc-graphics_03.PNG

image.png

Edited by Vlad

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Actually the WABC ones look more complete... the KABC lower thirds are weird looking... they are just kind of floating there disconnected and it looks odd...

Yeah, idk. I guess it looks nice still but in motion and animation, I feel like the KABC graphics flows nicer better than WABC. 

Any thoughte? I don’t don't to turn this into a WABC vs KABC thread haha but just wanted to show what I meant with the way the two graphic packages flow and animate.

The KABC ones have better animations and transitions... I think much of that is due to the small time nature of the company that made them. It's like using a small budget effects company instead of Industrial Light and Magic.. You're gonna get lesser results. I think the WABC package could be better if somebody like Renderon or one of the other major graphics companies had made it... Linear Drifts other big brag is the CBS O&O look but they just don't have much else major... WOIO maybe?

Edited by ns8401

The WABC opens are fine. I think the L3s and rest of the graphics could use a little work.  Overall, though, a better package for WABC would be the KTRK look:

https://youtu.be/djtzkno-vcU

The current west coast look doesn’t really fit NYC or WABC. Also, I think the previous KABC look was better and less generic:

https://youtu.be/FFheiawlf3s

That's not true. Last September, ABC started producing America This Morning at 3:30am/ET. Only WPVI is only eastern station to air ATM at 3:30am.

Of course, its up to the station's discretion if they want to expand to 4am, but I'm sure there are other reasons why the other O&Os haven't done so yet. But should they do expand in the future, expect stations having a different anchor pair for the midday show.

Edited by CircleSeven

20 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I was watching WABC recently and the one thing that detracted me were how in your face they were, the constant use of transitions and animations.

Violently agree with this. I love WABC, but the constant transitions and animations are really irritating. WAVY News 10 is similar.

Yeah and I think that’s where my issue lies with them it’s the transitions and the animations. The animations and transitions are already not that nice because the package looks pretty much sucks compared to their previous look as you’ll see below. This look is by far my all time favorite look they had from 2011 through Eary 2016. They were clean, shiny, and more appropriate.

What’s was appealing about the current package that made WABC switch? Was it pricing? Their previous graphics were done by Giant Octopus.

Edited by Vlad

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

That's not true. Last September, ABC started producing America This Morning at 3:30am/ET. Only WPVI is only eastern station to air ATM at 3:30am.

Of course, its up to the station's discretion if they want to expand to 4am, but I'm sure there are other reasons why the other O&Os haven't done so yet. But should they do expand in the future, expect stations having a different anchor pair for the midday show.

Oh wow! Just realized that. Sorry! WABC and WTNH are up at 4am. Everyone else is too reluctant. I think the CBS Morning News is still live at 4:00 a.m.

13 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Amy said they were using the newsroom studio this morning due to renovations going on in the studio.

Curious what else they might be upgrading?

Maybe they are toying with the camera blocking. Their cameras are fixed in place but can PTZ and have a height drive.  I noticed a Moiré pattern in some of the shots when then got the LEDs.