WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

14 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Do they leave it on all the time? I remember a few Facebook lives where the screens went black minutes after the newscast ended.. but that’s beside the point.. it looks great. I wish they’d use a live shot I think it would look great. 

I don’t know. Black could just be from lack of content being played and but the panel could still be on. But I’ve only seen it a handful of times in pictures.

11 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

Do they leave it on all the time? I remember a few Facebook lives where the screens went black minutes after the newscast ended.. but that’s beside the point.. it looks great. I wish they’d use a live shot I think it would look great. 

I've had a chance to visit the station on several occasions. The screen goes black after newscasts and teasers are done.

15 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I don’t know. Black could just be from lack of content being played and but the panel could still be on. But I’ve only seen it a handful of times in pictures.

Just depends on the monitor/tv manufacture. Some default to blue...some to green and some to black when signal is not present.

Funny monitor story...

In the mid to late 1990's CNN Atlanta was slowly replacing the original CRT monitors in the newsrooms, edit bays and control rooms. As engineers and contractors replaced the sets, many of the old ones ended up stacked in corners, hallways and break rooms.  As you can guess...some of those monitors "walked away" and found new homes as video game monitors, extra tv's for kids rooms or grandmas house...

It was not unusal to find some low paid CNN VJ or production type watching an old Sony monitor...with "CNN" burned into the CRT in the lower right corner of the screen.

(For you youngsters...CNN was not as graphic intense back then....but the yellow/orange CNN bug was always there, so the image would "burn in" the screen after being always on screen year after year.)

Edited by Eat News
[FULL ALBUM] ITZY(있지) - IT'z ICY .. https://youtu.be/PAHcU_sX9tU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eat News said:

Just depends on the monitor/tv manufacture. Some default to blue...some to green and some to black when signal is not present.

Funny monitor story...

In the mid to late 1990's CNN Atlanta was slowly replacing the original CRT monitors in the newsrooms, edit bays and control rooms. As engineers and contractors replaced the sets, many of the old ones ended up stacked in corners, hallways and break rooms.  As you can guess...some of those monitors "walked away" and found new homes as video game monitors, extra tv's for kids rooms or grandmas house...

It was not unusal to find some low paid CNN VJ or production type watching an old Sony monitor...with "CNN" burned into the CRT in the lower right corner of the screen.

(For you youngsters...CNN was not as graphic intense back then....but the yellow/orange CNN bug was always there, so the image would "burn in" the screen after being always on screen year after year.)

I heard that before.  Didn’t CNN or another network institute something where the bug moves slowly around a few pixels to prevent burn in?

I heard that before.  Didn’t CNN or another network institute something where the bug moves slowly around a few pixels to prevent burn in? 

Fox News Channel Spins Its ‘Cube’ Off the Screen

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fox-news-channel-cube-graphics-tv-news-1202554511/

Edited by IceManNYR

7 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Fox News Channel Spins Its ‘Cube’ Off the Screen

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fox-news-channel-cube-graphics-tv-news-1202554511/

Thanks, I think I was thinking of Fox when I wrote that post.

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

1. It's an article from 2017
  2. What does this have to do with WABC Channel 7?

I was talking about the monitors being replaced possibly due to screen burn in.  @Eat News had posted that this was a problem with CNN when it launched, that many of their monitors had burnt in logos.  I mentioned wasn’t there a network who had their logo move a little bit to prevent burn in? So @IceManNYR linked to an article about the old animating Fox News logo which is what I think I was thinking about,  they animated it so there wouldn’t be screen burn in. 

• Like 2

That blue at WLS definitely looks like "no signal" blue. I doubt it's something they do intentionally (as in they're not going "hey lets put blue on the screens when we're not using them,) it's probably just what the monitors do for a while when no signal is routed to it. I suspect they'd eventually turn off automatically if they weren't routed something (the poor man's remote control).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 11:22 PM, Weeters said:

That blue at WLS definitely looks like "no signal" blue. I doubt it's something they do intentionally (as in they're not going "hey lets put blue on the screens when we're not using them,) it's probably just what the monitors do for a while when no signal is routed to it. I suspect they'd eventually turn off automatically if they weren't routed something (the poor man's remote control).

Throw a couple circle 7's on the blue, and boom- #nostalgia.

1990_krashesky-brock_1.thumb.png.9fa8da8851e6e430b73c84448331b993.png

...But I digress.

Edited by 24994J
  • Haha 3

The before and after of the changes of the video wall set for in studio interviews and weather forecasts.

In addition to changing the video panels to a solid screen they added two dark blue panels to the top and bottom on the right side.AF_07_13_19d.thumb.jpeg.8e7280a24652ef119e29565dc376270d.jpegAF_08_02_19a.thumb.jpeg.2798b587eb815969a16e936d9645d80e.jpeg

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

The before and after of the changes of the video wall set for in studio interviews and weather forecasts.

In addition to changing the video panels to a solid screen they added two dark blue panels to the top and bottom on the right side.AF_08_02_19a.thumb.jpeg.2798b587eb815969a16e936d9645d80e.jpeg

I think the combination pool / ice rink is a nice added touch to the set.

Those Disney folks sure know forward thinking set design.

Beats the hell out of that CBS News Roomba.

Edited by Eat News
(WJSN) - Boogie Up (Stage Mix).. https://youtu.be/2mdq3Oes9K8
  • Haha 5

On 8/3/2019 at 9:18 PM, IceManNYR said:

In addition to changing the video panels to a solid screen they added two dark blue panels to the top and bottom on the right side.AF_07_13_19d.thumb.jpeg.8e7280a24652ef119e29565dc376270d.jpegAF_08_02_19a.thumb.jpeg.2798b587eb815969a16e936d9645d80e.jpeg

What’s the blue thing to the left of the logo? Is that a screen as well.  I recall when the studio launched it looked like there was a screen there. 

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

Just a wall. 

Oh I thought it was this where the large Eyewitness News and logo appears between the main video wall and the standup/demo area you pictured.  Was that video wall updated as well?

607A4005-07FB-4BD4-AEA9-480888638D08.thumb.png.6c2258f53d68f3f4a5a99c4d5a72eadf.png

10 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Oh I thought it was this where the large Eyewitness News and logo appears between the main video wall and the standup/demo area you pictured.  Was that video wall updated as well?

607A4005-07FB-4BD4-AEA9-480888638D08.thumb.png.6c2258f53d68f3f4a5a99c4d5a72eadf.png

The standup area is pushed back a little further; it’s not really adjacent to the main desk but seems like that from some camera angles.  

The large EWN/7 logo you see in the photo you posted actually was a duratrans at the time that photo was taken, not an actual screen. It just rotated between the EWN logo and Accuweather backdrop.  That duratrans area was recently updated to an actual flat screen.   

Are the screens on the front of the news desk adjacent to the the giant Circle ABC 7 logo still split up or are they now uniform as well? It looked like they were replaced as well.

Edited by Vlad

Now, they just need to get new graphics and we are golden haha. Im thinking something along the lines of what KABC, KGO and KFSN in California use. Anyone know what company created those graphics for them?

As much as I like the KABC package, Roadgeek Adam is right. It's minimalist to a fault, and seems uniquely appropriate for only the west coast. Besides, that package is almost 4 years old. This is about as long as KABC has used any package this century. They're probably already working on the next new look.

WABC has been looking to replace their current package since it debut. I have been told hell will freeze over before "Linear Drift" is allowed to work with WABC again. They were seriously underwhelmed with the content delivered (does anyone remember when the opens said "NEWS YORK'S NUMBER #1 NEWS"?)

It'll happen, maybe sooner than later.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Andrew Brill from ESPN NY is filling in doing the reports. He did the morning taped report and is back at 5 PM.

1634004316_Video008.thumb.jpeg.d15582ceb4412e6972afe62c80e2c81e.jpeg

Good to see him make the big time. I remember when he was tapped by WTEN to restart their sports department at the start of this decade.

47 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Andrew Brill from ESPN NY is filling in doing the reports. He did the morning taped report and is back at 5 PM.

1634004316_Video008.thumb.jpeg.d15582ceb4412e6972afe62c80e2c81e.jpeg

Good to see him make the big time. I remember when he was tapped by WTEN to restart their sports department at the start of this decade.

Have they ever used ESPN New York personnel in the past, even team beat reporters? If not, I don't know why. ESPN Chicago's Cubs and Bears (and Bulls, when the station had one) reporters have filed reports as part-timers for WLS for several years now.