WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Eyewitness News AM 7/23: Mike > Michelle > Sam.

Opinion: Mike makes a good fill-in anchor. However, too early to have him with other pairings. But, so far so good from what I saw the last 2 days.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, IceManNYR said:

WABC made another change replacing the video screen in the AccuWeather Center.

Here's what it looked like in 2018 and Friday.
vlcsnap-2019-07-20-00h16m30s257.thumb.png.dea0ae2892c616f7df3db3bf1e05e1e0.png

They went back to the 2018 version with the Accuweather marquee this morning with Sam. @IceManNYR. So I will say this, WABC uses 2 versions for the weather center.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, Spintech33 said:

Eyewitness News AM 7/23: Mike > Michelle > Sam.

Opinion: Mike makes a good fill-in anchor. However, too early to have him with other pairings. But, so far so good from what I saw the last 2 days.

They went back to the 2018 version with the Accuweather marquee this morning with Sam. @IceManNYR. So I will say this, WABC uses 2 versions for the weather center.

The weather center in both shots are the same set.. just different angles.. however there are 2 different weather centers.. one used during newscasts and the other one that’s upstairs which is used during GMA/breaking weather cut ins 

5 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

The weather center in both shots are the same set.. just different angles.. however there are 2 different weather centers.. one used during newscasts and the other one that’s upstairs which is used during GMA/breaking weather cut ins 

Yes that is correct. Just recently observed that. Thank you for pointing that out for me.

Rob mentioned this morning that they were using the newsroom studio because their main studio was receiving technical upgrades this weekend.

Curious what they are upgrading? The only thing I’ve noticed on TV is the chromakey wall didn’t seem to be keying in the graphics cleanly since they came back on after the blackout. 

17 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Rob mentioned this morning that they were using the newsroom studio because their main studio was receiving technical upgrades this weekend.

Curious what they are upgrading? The only thing I’ve noticed on TV is the chromakey wall didn’t seem to be keying in the graphics cleanly since they came back on after the blackout. 

It might not be things the viewer ever sees. “Technical upgrades” could include replacing or updating cameras, robotics, lighting grid or lighting panel, etc.. Any of those can be time consuming to remove, install and test. Setting aside a weekend to do it is not unusual, since it displaces a minimum number of shows and people.

• Like 4

Yes - they’ve upgraded to a seamless video backdrop. They’ve also added a seamless video monitor to the interview/stand up area. Will be great to see if weather forecasts can be done on that, similar to what KABC does.  

Edited by wabceyewitness

4 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Nope. They’re moving downtown within the next 4 years or so. That’s when a new studio and set will happen. 

,,,, Construction is or has already begun. A few other tenants have to vacate within 3 days. As of 8/1/19 demolition will begin for the New Hudson Square area.

12 hours ago, kshow said:

I guess that means no new set in the near future. It’s almost a decade old, right?

They will not be doing any set replacement (or probably any more major upgrades like this) before they move to the new Hudson Square development.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Yes - they’ve upgraded to a seamless video backdrop. They’ve also added a seamless video monitor to the interview/stand up area. Will be great to see if weather forecasts can be done on that, similar to what KABC does.  

Also updated are the two big monitors that make up the front of the anchor desk. Those are also now seamless displays. 

I believe the monitors were left on when newscasts weren’t airing so people could look in on the street. The fact that most of the time it displayed the same image probably caused significant burn in. Additionally 9 years with it being on most of the day they probably were getting towards the end of their useful life.

Looks like they did a Mid-Cycle upgrade. Kinda like what they did when they were in the previous studio when they went from the Cockpit Styled Backdrop from the 90s to the Duratrans backdrop in the late 2000s up until when they moved to their current studio. The studio current studio is really nice, to me nothing is wrong with it and these upgrades add new life to whats already really nice. This is hands down their best studio they've ever had, and as with WABC long standing tradition, if it is not broken, no need to fix it terribly lol. The only thing that WABC has always struggled with is their graphics in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I believe the monitors were left on when newscasts weren’t airing so people could look in on the street. The fact that most of the time it displayed the same image probably caused significant burn in. Additionally 9 years with it being on most of the day they probably were getting towards the end of their useful life.

WLS in Chicago opts for a solid blue feed on their video wall during off hours. Is it safe to assume that does less damage to the screens over time?

Do they leave it on all the time? I remember a few Facebook lives where the screens went black minutes after the newscast ended.. but that’s beside the point.. it looks great. I wish they’d use a live shot I think it would look great.