WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

1 minute ago, Amra said:

I hope they fixed this open too. The version posted here says News York’s. 

The version I posted was from pre-launch. They debuted with the error, but it was fixed. I'd assume the 5pm talent they're using is okay.

Totally random, but I was looking up David Novarro's time in Chicago the other day. In the process, I discovered that he'll be turning 60 this fall. Doesn't look like it, sound like it, act like it, so I never realized it. Everyone talks about Mike replacing Bill, but there might be other slots opening up, too, before too long.

Edited by 24994J

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, 24994J said:

Totally random, but I was looking up David Novarro's time in Chicago the other day. In the process, I discovered that he'll be turning 60 this fall. Doesn't look like it, sound like it, act like it, so I never realized it. Everyone talks about Mike replacing Bill, but there might be other slots opening up, too, before too long.

I meant to answer this yesterday (Friday). However, David Novarro has plenty in the tank left and I don't forsee any retirement for him anytime soon.  (This is my overall opinion on the Bill situation). Bill Ritter I say another 5 years at least before he retires. New York anchor talent is shrinking and you gotta keep the good ones from leaving. Retirement is one thing. However, if it's backdoor conversations that can be resolved including contracts (we) has forum members have no say since this is management. All we can do is offer opinions to certain outcomes (to a degree).

Admittedly, if Diana wasn't retiring on 9/12/19, I would've suggested Diana and David permanently become the 12 pm hosts. Shirleen already works 4:30-7 and as a reporter. Alas, not to be. 

Regardless, this is the first time I've seen Diana work 12 with Sam present. (She worked Friday, when Sam wasn't there.) It has probably already happened, but I'm not sure. 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, wabceyewitness said:

Looks like WABC brought back the 5pm talent open. For years now, it has just been the short intro to quickly transition between the 4pm and 5pm newscasts. I wonder if they are doing this as a nod to Diana Williams. She returned from vacation today for her final 10 weeks before she retires. 

No more talent open at 5pm, at least since late last week. I guess it was a short-lived return. I hope WABC reconsiders and let’s it air from now until Diana leaves. 

6 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Admittedly, if Diana wasn't retiring on 9/12/19, I would've suggested Diana and David permanently become the 12 pm hosts. Shirleen already works 4:30-7 and as a reporter. Alas, not to be. 

Regardless, this is the first time I've seen Diana work 12 with Sam present. (She worked Friday, when Sam wasn't there.) It has probably already happened, but I'm not sure. 

Last week there was a day Lauren was on with Diana at noon, and Sam was doing weather.

11 hours ago, JamelVVanderburg said:

She worked 4th of July, and she and Sam shared a nostalgic moment

Was there a video montage?

I have higher hopes for your second post.

Edited by Eat News
Raina ,Wuno, DayDay All day All Night (MV)..https://youtu.be/QRC6AYnaf2U

20 hours ago, mountainave said:

The talent opens are sometimes included because the producers just want to experiment, or because the show timeline is a few seconds shorter so the talent opens can fill the time.  

No, WABC seems to have a rhyme and reason to when they air talent opens.

They almost never air at 5pm or 11pm.. presumably to keep viewers during the transition from 4-5pm and from prime time to news.

They always air at 4:30am, 5am, 6am, noon and 6pm unless the producer opts for the Breaking News open. 

7/11 AM line up for today:

Ken > Michelle > AMY  (Sam off until Monday) 😂 

2 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

They almost never air at 5pm or 11pm.. presumably to keep viewers during the transition from 4-5pm and from prime time to news.

They always air at 4:30am, 5am, 6am, noon and 6pm unless the producer opts for the Breaking News open

Accurate...

9 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

They always air at 4:30am, 5am, 6am, noon and 6pm unless the producer opts for the Breaking News open. 

So... “Ah the next newscast is starting... better tune out because they are introducing people”? That’s some odd reasoning...

People are far more likely to keep watching if they want more news or tune out if they don’t... 20 seconds of talent open won’t make or break you or everybody would do what you are describing... 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 2

I think Talent Opens while we wanted them so much in the past, they are kinda a thing of the past now. In this day and age where everything is fast paced, producers have shifted to just a quick news open sting. WABC seems to be the only station that does talent opens now in the New York market. Do the other stations do talent opens?

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

I think Talent Opens while we wanted them so much in the past, they are kinda a thing of the past now. In this day and age where everything is fast paced, producers have shifted to just a quick news open sting. WABC seems to be the only station that does talent opens now in the New York market. Do the other stations do talent opens?

No they don’t.. however PIX11 does have talent bumpers while going to commercial every so often showcasing the talent... 

People who thinks producers are making the decisions about whether or not to run talent opens, have no understanding  of the hierarchy of a newsroom. Show opens are serious business, and their form, format and appearance are strictly the domain of the news director, creative services director and general manager. No producer in any station I’ve ever worked had unilateral power to drop, modify or replace an open.

In the past, WABC has replaced the talent opens with generic stingers when: an anchor slot is open and a rotation of people are sitting in; an anchor is out on extended medical leave; a newscast is airing off the clock at an unusual time, such as after football; during continuous breaking news coverage, where a standard talent open might be inappropriate.

Opens are not like teases or bumps where a producer or director can call an audible and elect to drop or change it. To station management, they are as important as the hood ornament is to a Rolls Royce owner. Whether an open is a short stinger or a fully produced talent showcase, it is the baby of those far above a producer pay grade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

They’ve (finally) replaced the AccuWeather/EWN duratrans with an actual screen. This is the backdrop that appears behind the weather anchor area of the main news desk. 

Bout. Damn. Time.