WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Looks like WABC brought back the 5pm talent open. For years now, it has just been the short intro to quickly transition between the 4pm and 5pm newscasts. I wonder if they are doing this as a nod to Diana Williams. She returned from vacation today for her final 10 weeks before she retires. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Looks like WABC brought back the 5pm talent open. For years now, it has just been the short intro to quickly transition between the 4pm and 5pm newscasts. I wonder if they are doing this as a nod to Diana Williams. She returned from vacation today for her final 10 weeks before she retires. 

Did they ever actually use the 5 o'clock talent open for these graphics before now? I know it was posted to the station's Vimeo account ahead of the package debuting, but I thought they only had the short open, at official launch.

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

My guess is Diana is back these 10 weeks as a favor for WABC so they aren’t too terribly short staffed while Shirleen takes maternity leave. Perhaps she will fill in at noon st some point and reunite with Sam 

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

My guess is Diana is back these 10 weeks as a favor for WABC so they aren’t too terribly short staffed while Shirleen takes maternity leave. Perhaps she will fill in at noon st some point and reunite with Sam 

20 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Mike Marza will be filling in for Joe Torres this weekend.

Interesting. Perhaps when Bill retires which could be a few years off still Mike will take over for Joe and Joe will take over for Bill.

6 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

No video of it?

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Unless they changed or re-shot it, this should be it.

No change to talent opening selection. I could only think they are bring it back for Diana since retirement is on the horizons for her.

14 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I agree with this!

14 hours ago, 24994J said:

Did they ever actually use the 5 o'clock talent open for these graphics before now? I know it was posted to the station's Vimeo account ahead of the package debuting, but I thought they only had the short open, at official launch.

I believe these graphics are used from time to time ( I could be wrong). However, as everyone here has indicated that there's a quick transition from 4P to 5P as the anchors swap. This is around the 4:50-4:55PM period.

They are incredibly rarely used. I'm not sure I've ever seen it before.

Regardless, Diana's retirement date is September 12. I don't think that's a date picked out of thin air or because of Shirleen being out. Simpler, it's probably so she can do 9-11 coverage, something I'm sure means a lot. 

37 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

They are incredibly rarely used. I'm not sure I've ever seen it before.

Regardless, Diana's retirement date is September 12. I don't think that's a date picked out of thin air or because of Shirleen being out. Simpler, it's probably so she can do 9-11 coverage, something I'm sure means a lot. 

That’s probably why. Diana should co-anchor the 9/11 coverage with Bill this year. Perhaps she will.

14 hours ago, nydem2015 said:

Interesting. Perhaps when Bill retires which could be a few years off still Mike will take over for Joe and Joe will take over for Bill.

26 minutes ago, nydem2015 said:

Do you realize that you posted the same exact thing about 14 hours apart. Your repetitiveness all over the NY boards is becoming annoying.

As to the topic at hand, I actually would like to see Mike either take over for Bill or David. Mike’s young and has plenty of experience, and is great at what he does. I like Joe, but like Sandra, he’s better on weekends and as a weekday fill-in. His personality just doesn’t scream “lead anchor” material.

54 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Do you realize that you posted the same exact thing about 14 hours apart. Your repetitiveness all over the NY boards is becoming annoying.

As to the topic at hand, I actually would like to see Mike either take over for Bill or David. Mike’s young and has plenty of experience, and is great at what he does. I like Joe, but like Sandra, he’s better on weekends and as a weekday fill-in. His personality just doesn’t scream “lead anchor” material.

It was a mistake. I’ll warn you that I can be just as rude as you are. David likely won’t be retiring anytime soon. Not sure about  Bill.

33 minutes ago, nydem2015 said:

It was a mistake. I’ll warn you that I can be just as rude as you are. David likely won’t be retiring anytime soon. Not sure about  Bill.

I’m not trying to be rude. I’m pointing out that your posts are repetitive, not just here (see all your WCBS and WNBC weather related posts). It doesn’t seem to be accidental (1 minute apart would be accidental). Seems as the moderators are asleep at the job, as they’ve scolded me and others for far less offenses in the past.

As too David, what I meant is for Mike to replace David if David were to move to Bill’s role after he retires. 

9 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Seems as the moderators are asleep at the job, as they’ve scolded me and others for far less offenses in the past.

There's been quite an influx of posts on the New York forums. There are a ton of posts that were immediately blocked and flagged, and were never visible to the general users. The double post exchange you directly referenced was hidden quickly, but you just saw it before I did.

• Like 1

Last night, during the 11pm broadcast, anyone notice that they did not use the Time and Temperature on the Lower Third section of the ABC 7 Bug? It was just the WABC 7 Circle Logo and the "Eyewitness News" Banner during the 11pm show. I still think that blue square behind the ABC 7 logo is ridiculously hideous... Still not a fan of this graphics package. Can't wait for them to change it.

Edited by Vlad

50 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Last night, during the 11pm broadcast, anyone notice that they did not use the Time and Temperature on the Lower Third section of the ABC 7 Bug? It was just the WABC 7 Circle Logo and the "Eyewitness News" Banner during the 11pm show. I still think that blue square behind the ABC 7 logo is ridiculously hideous... Still not a fan of this graphics package. Can't wait for them to change it.Last night, during the 11pm broadcast, anyone notice that they did not use the Time and Temperature on the Lower Third section of the ABC 7 Bug? It was just the WABC 7 Circle Logo and the "Eyewitness News" Banner during the 11pm show. I still think that blue square behind the ABC 7 logo is ridiculously hideous... Still not a fan of this graphics package. Can't wait for them to change it.

I also noticed (on the same show) that they also didn't use the bumper music on the first three commercial breaks. But at the end of the sports segment, the bumper music was used. I remember many years ago, the station didn't use the bumper music for the 5pm hour (not sure if that practice continued or not).

In regards to the time/temp bug, I'm hoping that it was a technical issue (because I've seen that bug without it before, and then minutes later the time/temp returns) and hope that's not a common occurance. I know several other stations (especially the Cox TV stations) omit using the time (and/or) temp bug, fearing viewers might look at the time and then turn off the TV because its late. I just find it weird to not use time for the late, and use it at all other times.

Edited by CircleSeven

47 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

I did. I don't mind it, but the old one was due for a change. You'll have to likely wait till 2022-2023 probably to get a new one.       

I wish they would adopt the style that the ABC O&Os in California use. KABC, KGO and the KFSN styled package. Its much cleaner and a better look overall. Maybe someone can make a reimagined package with that look on the Graphics Forum? 😉.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vlad said:

I wish they would adopt the style that the ABC O&Os in California use. KABC, KGO and the KFSN styled package. Its much cleaner and a better look overall. Maybe someone can make a reimagined package with that look on the Graphics Forum? 😉.

I love the current graphics. It's a New York Subway style which works well on WABC and they doesn't seen standardized (Yes I know WGGB/WSHM has them too) which nearly even other station in town has. Channel 7 is not a flashy station but the graphics knows how to get the job done without being in your face nor does it insult your intelligence.

• Like 1

I hate the KABC ones. Besides the fact they can't spell half the time, they just seem boring. 

Regardless, they perform their function. Considering how long the old package survived, I doubt they are going to make that quick a switch. 

(Also, for 12 & 5, the bug has worked as proper) 

Edited by Roadgeek Adam