WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I like it. The coloring doesn't look as muddy or unnatural, and the imagery is sharper. Overall, a much better look, and I kinda like the blue and red trim at the bottom that matches the graphics.

442900419_bandicam2018-09-1215-40-06-413.thumb.png.9bac88c482a6f5e4044765bbe55ffaa7.png

Points are lost, though, for that random blue strip running down the right side of the display.

2008120909_bandicam2018-09-1215-49-53-427.thumb.png.1b6de5c0b214e80946a08720253df484.png

• Like 2

Very nice background. They are finally making use of the tech they have! :). But I guess not for long as they are moving buildings soon...

Why did she not stay for the full broadcast? I guess they are slowly getting her back in the groove. :)

• Like 1

Is this a new permanent backdrop? I don't recall what they used for the 11pm broadcast, but it looked like they may have used the new skyline of Lower Manhattan it for the morning show as well. I wish they used a live video feed though of different areas of the city kinda like what KABC and KGO does in the west, would be a bit better. :)

Is this a new permanent backdrop? I don't recall what they used for the 11pm broadcast, but it looked like they may have used the new skyline of Lower Manhattan it for the morning show as well. I wish they used a live video feed though of different areas of the city kinda like what KABC and KGO does in the west, would be a bit better. :)

They seem to use the Midtown Manhattan skyline for 11pm. I'd like to see live action shots of the city too. I thought i was the only one who wanted to see Channel 7 do that lol

Sade anchored at 5 BUT she only did a half hour and Bill Ritter did the 5:30 part. Kinda weird how that went but it was still so good seeing Sade next to Diana again.

They had the same setup today, with Sade only doing the 5pm half hour and Bill doing the 5:30pm half hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's NJ Burkett interviewing Sade:

Turns out the very job she does made her symptoms worse, hence why its been such a long recovery process for her..

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else realize it seems like they don’t use 2 anchors on the Saturday and Sunday evening newscasts anymore? The past few times I’ve watched (not consecutive weekends) either Joe or Sandra have been solo. This has been going on for a while.. To me it’s way to long (5-6:30) for a solo anchor.. it seems weird and they should really have someone fill in

The last couple of days WABC appears to be having problems with the newscast automation.

During the 5pm newscast b-roll video and full screen graphics sometimes did not appear.

I’m not sure if WABC transitioned yet but I noticed that the other O&Os are switching from Grass Valley Ignite automation to Ross OverDrive.

I’m not sure if WABC transitioned yet but I noticed that the other O&Os are switching from Grass Valley Ignite automation to Ross OverDrive.

This is all pretty foreign to me. While that impacts timing and cues and stuff, but would that affect how the graphics look? Like, might actual graphics have to be rebuilt to comply with the new systems? I'm asking because of another O&O.

Edited by Guest

This is all pretty foreign to me. While that impacts timing and cues and stuff, but would that affect how the graphics look? Like, might actual graphics have to be rebuilt to comply with the new systems? I'm asking because of another O&O.

No it wouldn’t. But it could affect play out of graphics and video.

• Like 1

WABC recently switched their CG playout over to Ross Xpression (They actually transitioned to a brand new control room as I understand it) I believe other O&O's are going to make the transition to Xpression as well. Yes, the graphics have to be rebuilt in it.

Edited by Weeters
  • Like 1

WABC recently switched their CG playout over to Ross Xpression (They actually transitioned to a brand new control room as I understand it) I believe other O&O's are going to make the transition to Xpression as well. Yes, the graphics have to be rebuilt in it.

Does it run any better than ignite? There must be some advantage to it...

• Like 2

Does it run any better than ignite? There must be some advantage to it...

Ignite was the automation system they were using and has nothing to do with Xpression. I believe they're standardizing the group onto Xpression for graphics and OverDrive for automation (so yes, there will probably be subtle changes at the other O&Os too.) I couldn't say what the draw is for ABC to get Xpression, but I can say I often hear that users of Xpression elsewhere like it.

As I understand it, they actually switched over a month ago, when that new backdrop debut...

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic