WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I'm sure a lot of these behind the scenes shuffles at WABC will lead to on-air changes too. Hopefully we can see some refreshing ideas from new talent make it on the air. :)

Hopefully a return to hiring only the best and most qualified -- and retaining them. WABC has become a revolving door over the last few years.

I'm doubtful of this, though, given Disney's cost-cutting directives. That may explain the increase in hiring younger, less experienced reporters as well as the increasing use of freelancers.

• Like 5

What on air changes would you all like to see at Channel 7?

Honestly I know the graphics were just changed, but they have to go. I'd like to see something more on the like of the package that KABC and KGO use. The music needs to change too. They've been using it for too long. They've been too complacent over the years.

• Like 3

Honestly I know the graphics were just changed, but they have to go. I'd like to see something more on the like of the package that KABC and KGO use. The music needs to change too. They've been using it for too long. They've been too complacent over the years.

Graphics yes.. music NO!! They should also spruce up the set a bit.. and use diff images as the backdrop.. preferably live shots

• Like 3

There's no reason to change the music. Part of the reason Eyewitness News is successful is because it has a long history and a recognized brand. The music is part of that. Loyal viewers who have been watching for 10, 20, 30+ years like it and like the consistency. They don't like change.

• Like 7

There's no reason to change the music. Part of the reason Eyewitness News is successful is because it has a long history and a recognized brand. The music is part of that. Loyal viewers who have been watching for 10, 20, 30+ years like it and like the consistency. They don't like change.

I have a hard enough time remembering the words to the current EWN theme.

God forbid we have to learn the words to a new theme song. That could be quite difficult for older and less smarter people.

I have a hard enough time remembering the words to the current EWN theme.

God forbid we have to learn the words to a new theme song. That could be quite difficult for older and less smarter people.

You really think the majority of the general viewing public turns to a newscast because of the theme? I would argue they like familiarity but the driver isn't a theme by itself. The exception is when the theme becomes iconic - like "Get Closer to Your World" in Philly. When ABC changed it, there was push back. But even though WABC has used a version that has some similarity to the Cold Tar theme originally used, it's not that iconic. I doubt most folks turn the station for a song, or a graphic, or a set color. Content, reporters, yes. That's what counts.

• Like 1

You really think the majority of the general viewing public turns to a newscast because of the theme?.

I never said that...

I said I would have a hard time learning the words to the new theme.

Here at the senior center we all like to sing-a-long to the EWN themes. If you change the theme...we won't watch.

Some older people (FNC viewers mostly) have memory issues. Some people that get slapped a lot also have problems membering things.

eatseniors.jpg.3ef725319dbd54810823f0742917e668.jpg

I guess that's why I get slapped a lot.

• Like 3

Yeah, I understand now why they kept it, because when watching some of the older opens, that news-ticker jingle that begins in the start of the theme, is super catchy and sounds just like the original Cool Hand Luke theme from the 70s and 80s and early 90s. So I get it now, but they can do a newer rendition of it no? But I guess it might be a theme to stay for the forseable future. I'm assuming WABC has access to the entire Eyewitness News Package.

The theme that they use for the "Protect Our Children" is KABC's Morning Theme.

WABC-TV "Protect our Children" Theme (Eyewitness News NG4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=gVrypA0hlfs;t=20

KABC-TV "Morning' Theme (Eyewitness News NG4)

So since these are the same themes, I would assume that WABC has the rights to the entirety of the ABC O&O Eyewitness News Package.

So WABC could easilly change up their themes and experiment with the package if they wanted to, which is something I hope they do. :)

WABC Opens from the 1970s to the Mid 2010s. And I think the reason now, the "a-ha" moment behind them keeping the current theme and jingle for all of these years, since 1999 is because of the reminiscence it brings to the classic themes. The catchy news-ticker sound at the start of the opening sequence. So I get it now, it pays homage to their early days.

• Like 2

Yeah, I understand now why they kept it, because when watching some of the older opens, that news-ticker jingle that begins in the start of the theme, is super catchy and sounds just like the original Cool Hand Luke theme from the 70s and 80s and early 90s. So I get it now, but they can do a newer rendition of it no? But I guess it might be a theme to stay for the forseable future. I'm assuming WABC has access to the entire Eyewitness News Package.

What ???

No EWN-EDM extended fanboy remix?

I'm starting to lose faith in the NMSA fanboys...

No news music mixtapes...no EDM's...not even any crappy "tropical house" EWN version.

What gives?

She came back a few weeks ago.

Upon her return, she was only anchoring the 11pm. I'm not sure if she's back on at 5pm.

She's back on the 11 but not the 5. I would think it would be oppiset and she'd want to be out earlier but who knows the exact circumstances. It also seems like they maybe trying out different teams again. Especially at noon. Not saying it's anything to read into but you never do know.

• Like 1

They currently do not have a general manager or news director. I don't think it's likely they're "trying" anything. I think they're probably in a state of leaving everything where it is and keeping the engine running until someone is in charge.

• Like 1

She's back on the 11 but not the 5. I would think it would be oppiset and she'd want to be out earlier but who knows the exact circumstances. It also seems like they maybe trying out different teams again. Especially at noon. Not saying it's anything to read into but you never do know.

All of that could be true. But it's also probably easier for management to get other anchors to sub in for the 5 than the 11. So, if she asked for a reduced schedule, she may have been told her option was to sit out for the 5 and do the 11.

• Like 2

Yeah, Sade Baderinwa has not been on the 5pm broadcast for months since the injury. The 5pm is where Sade had originally started back in 2003 when she replaced Roz Abrams who left for WCBS.

When the substitute anchors introduce themselves, out of curiosity, do they say the following; "I'm Diana Williams, and I'm <First Name> <Last Name>, In for Sade Baderinwa" . The reason I ask this question, because if they say "In for Sade Baderinwa" that means that she still is officially the anchor for that broadcast, however if they no longer say that, then that means she is no longer the anchor and they are looking for someone else. I haven't seen a 5pm broadcast in a while so I can't confirm or say for sure if the sub-anchors say this key phrase.

Yeah, Sade Baderinwa has not been on the 5pm broadcast for months since the injury. The 5pm is where Sade had originally started back in 2003 when she replaced Roz Abrams who left for WCBS.

When the substitute anchors introduce themselves, out of curiosity, do they say the following; "I'm Diana Williams, and I'm <First Name> <Last Name>, In for Sade Baderinwa" . The reason I ask this question, because if they say "In for Sade Baderinwa" that means that she still is officially the anchor for that broadcast, however if they no longer say that, then that means she is no longer the anchor and they are looking for someone else. I haven't seen a 5pm broadcast in a while so I can't confirm or say for sure if the sub-anchors say this key phrase.

That could be the case but I wouldn’t read into that until it’s officially stated she’s not the 5 p.m. anchor. Because I knew when some anchors go on maternity leave or leave of absence for any reason they sometimes don’t even mention them filling in for that anchor. But maybe she’s on a reduced schedule right now until the doctor plays her to work full time again.

They usually do mention it. But sometimes they don't. Hell, on WNBC sometimes they dont even introduce themselves.