WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I’m glad she’s feeling better and has made it through this injury. That said, to be quite honest, I’m not a Sade fan. She seems like a wonderful person — and well liked by her colleagues — but I don’t find her to be at the same level as the other anchors at WABC, past and present.

• Like 1

I’m glad she’s feeling better and has made it through this injury. That said, to be quite honest, I’m not a Sade fan. She seems like a wonderful person — and well liked by her colleagues — but I don’t find her to be at the same level as the other anchors at WABC, past and present.

I find her to be a real class act. Very classy and very professional in the work that she does. I've met her in person and I must say she is just as nice in person as she is on television. So personally I'm a fan. I think she could be along the lines of being the lead female anchor for the station. I don't think there's anyone else that is at her level. Diana Williams of course one can argue can be the lead female anchor as well especially with her veteran status and the amount of time she's been there.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insight on when WABC will be updating their music or if there is talks in them getting a new package? They've been using this music since Fall of 1998 and we are in 2018. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it would be nice to see something refreshing for them. :). I believe Fall of this year will mark it 20 years that they are on Series 4 of Eyewitness News from Frank Gari. The tune is very fitting and nice for New York so it will be interesting to see how Gari will top that if they even do decide to update their package. Unless they go the WPVI route and just never change it at all haha.

Also is there a definitive replacement for Laura Benkhe or is Anthony Johnson assuming the role? I think he's actually a pretty good fit for role and his personality really matches position.

• Like 3

Does anyone have any insight on when WABC will be updating their music or if there is talks in them getting a new package? They've been using this music since Fall of 1998 and we are in 2018. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it would be nice to see something refreshing for them. :). I believe Fall of this year will mark it 20 years that they are on Series 4 of Eyewitness News from Frank Gari. The tune is very fitting and nice for New York so it will be interesting to see how Gari will top that if they even do decide to update their package. Unless they go the WPVI route and just never change it at all haha.

Also is there a definitive replacement for Laura Benkhe or is Anthony Johnson assuming the role? I think he's actually a pretty good fit for role and his personality really matches position.

Not quite 20 years just yet.. music debuted at the end of August 1999 so Fall 2019 will mark 20 years. No need to change it in my opinion!

• Like 2

"Even without an ND, WABC continues to lead the way in the ratings."

Interesting. Wonder how the Olympics are affecting the numbers? Wonder if they are providing a nice bump to WNBC's 5 and 11 (which comes on at around 1130 during the Olympics)

"Even without an ND, WABC continues to lead the way in the ratings."

Interesting. Wonder how the Olympics are affecting the numbers? Wonder if they are providing a nice bump to WNBC's 5 and 11 (which comes on at around 1130 during the Olympics)

To serve as some kind of reference and comparison (ratings shares are fairly similar between the markets), Chicago's ABC and CBS stations are pulling in roughly normal numbers on their late newscasts, while the NBC station is bringing in 1.5 to 2 times their normal late audience. So, there's a good chance WABC may not be winning the evening ratings, but numbers may not be down.

Not quite 20 years just yet.. music debuted at the end of August 1999 so Fall 2019 will mark 20 years. No need to change it in my opinion!

Gari would have to come out of retirement given he sold the business to Warner. Still sounds fresh but then I still think his work on the Cool Hand Luke theme sounds fresh.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic