WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Camille Edwards is on an extended vacation thru January 2, 2018, per FTV Live. This comes after a rare visit to the station by ABC president Ben Sherwood.

This could mean something. Could it mean getting fired while on vacation, like the Bill O'Reilly way?

Haven't seen anything about a suspension of Jim Dolan. Was this reported somewhere?

I just saw him on the air yesterday. If there was a suspension, it must have ended.

I thought i remember seeing something about it a while back but idk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm perhaps being overly critical, but I found WABC's coverage of the Port Authority bombing this morning to be underwhelming. Shirleen was anchoring solo for the majority. Not ideal for a major breaking news event. Nobody else to bounce off of or to jump in with new information.

At one point she read out the bomber's exact home address, which seemed inadvisable at best.

I happened to flip on Fox 5's coverage as well and thought Rosanna and Lori did a solid job.

• Like 1

I'm perhaps being overly critical, but I found WABC's coverage of the Port Authority bombing this morning to be underwhelming. Shirleen was anchoring solo for the majority. Not ideal for a major breaking news event. Nobody else to bounce off of or to jump in with new information.

At one point she read out the bomber's exact home address, which seemed inadvisable at best.

I happened to flip on Fox 5's coverage as well and thought Rosanna and Lori did a solid job.

I meant to comment on the coverage yesterday but forgot to. I completely agree. I know that anchoring breaking news without a lot of new information being provided could be tough but WABC’s coverage was certainly not up to par especially for an event of that magnitude. Shirleen should be able to handing solo coverage of breaking news at this point. She did not come across as being able to do that, given yesterday’s coverage. Lots of stumbling through words, long pauses, “ummmmsss”, and in one remark to former NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, “totally!” It just felt that she was out of place and it’s unfortunate because she is a good anchor.

I turned off WABC and watched FOX5 and WNBC for the rest of the morning.

I meant to comment on the coverage yesterday but forgot to. I completely agree. I know that anchoring breaking news without a lot of new information being provided could be tough but WABC’s coverage was certainly not up to par especially for an event of that magnitude. Shirleen should be able to handing solo coverage of breaking news at this point. She did come across as being able to given yesterday’s coverage. Lots of stumbling through words, long pauses, “ummmmsss”, and in one remark to former NYPD Commissioner, “totally!” It just felt that she was out of place and it’s unfortunate because she is a good anchor.

I turned off WABC and watched FOX5 and WNBC for the rest of the morning.

I agree she's a great anchor but live breaking news must not be her thing. She had this issue when there was a plane crash (?) at Philly airport and she was on WPVI. Thankfully, Jim Gardner got back to the studio and joined her and things were much better.

• Like 1

I hope this doesn’t come off as harsh but once she filed the complaint, she knew her days were numbered. She’ll eventually land on her feet one day.

Absolutely she will. But Corporate ain't a saint either. If upper management decided not to answer her questions of who would be her supervisor, it was a big signal that Camevil would continue to be her boss. That is, unless she is fired during vacation or ousted in a reshuffle.

The annual ewn christmas tradition they already asked for emails, thr anchors on christmas day will be Lauren and Shirleen

No Bill Ritter? Wow. Question is does Shirleen celebrate? If she does I'm surprised she doesn't wanna be home being that it's her baby's first Christmas.

Yeah its a bit surprising that she will not be home with her newborn baby for Christmas, but maybe she can go home right after the broadcast? Usually on Christmas Day the New York stations air basketball games all day, but it looks like GMA will be airing so she may be needed to do cut ins, unless she goes home right after the broadcast and Lauren does all of the cut ins and leaves for the day.

• Like 4

Ritter has not anchored on Xmas since his youngest daughter was born five or six years ago. Early in his career he often missed holidays and celebrations with his kids because of work. He says he won't make that mistake with his youngest. The older kids are now grown.

• Like 4

Shirleen grumbled a bit this morning about having to work Christmas (this was during Ken’s 4:40am Facebook live).

Ken mentioned he only had off Christmas twice in his whole career. Shirleen asked what happened all the years Ritter did the Christmas morning show. He motioned as if he had an explanation but couldn’t say at the moment — they were going back on air. He never mentioned it during the Facebook live, but I’m guessing maybe Ken still had to report later in the morning and be the on call breaking news anchor?

Ritter has not anchored on Xmas since his youngest daughter was born five or six years ago. Early in his career he often missed holidays and celebrations with his kids because of work. He says he won't make that mistake with his youngest. The older kids are now grown.

I think he's anchored on Christmas more recently than 5 years ago. Besides, I'm not sure why "missing" Christmas with his family would matter since he doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Shirleen grumbled a bit this morning about having to work Christmas (this was during Ken’s 4:40am Facebook live).

Ken mentioned he only had off Christmas twice in his whole career. Shirleen asked what happened all the years Ritter did the Christmas morning show. He motioned as if he had an explanation but couldn’t say at the moment — they were going back on air. He never mentioned it during the Facebook live, but I’m guessing maybe Ken still had to report later in the morning and be the on call breaking news anchor?

Not 100% sure but I think he (used to be?) a minister of some sort in addition to news anchor, so he mightve been referring to that.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic