WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Maybe a sign of things to come, the 3D weather graphics seen on KTRK and a few other ABC O&O's seems to have come to WABC.

[MEDIA=instagram]BIVv6BNhk1t[/MEDIA]

That looked really cheesy... Like something out of the 80s or 90s. The graphics on the screen behind him looked better and more professional. It doesn't help that WABC has little room on their set to play well with the technology, as opposed to KTRK and other O&Os.

Not a fan at all of those, hopefully they use it sparingly haha. Problem is it doesn't look as clean as lets say what the weather channel would use. I think local stations should really refrain from this, because i don't think the viewers need a science lesson on how weather works, I think those that are that interested are better off watching The Weather Channel haha.

• Like 2

I think it should be Laura, but no NY station has ever had a woman as their lead sportscaster, have they?

Sam Ryan was the lead sportscaster at WCBS from around 2007-2009, and then, when she wanted to cut back on her work schedule, she shared weekday duties with Otis Livingston from 2009-2011 until leaving (I believe she anchored three weekdays, and Livingston did two).

Have they named a replacement for Rob yet? I think it should be Laura, but no NY station has ever had a woman as their lead sportscaster, have they? For now, it probably will be Laura (with Anthony Johnson on weekends).

Well, Laura did the 11pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and she's still in the opens. So far, they haven't named a replacement but they did remove Rob from the 11pm promo.

Monica Pellegrini shared the nightly news with Russ Salzberg on WWOR from '98 to '03, while Sam Ryan was the first female sports director to anchor solo in '07 when Ducis Rodgers was laid off.

• Like 1

While she likely will replace Rob I don't think Laura has been chosen yet.. You would think it would've been mentioned when he left that she would be taking the chair.. Kind of like Rob was announced by Scott.. Plus she's still in the weekend opens.. Idk something just tells me nothing's official

While she likely will replace Rob I don't think Laura has been chosen yet.. You would think it would've been mentioned when he left that she would be taking the chair.. Kind of like Rob was announced by Scott.. Plus she's still in the weekend opens.. Idk something just tells me nothing's official

You're right. That is a little bizarre. By all accounts, if the plan was for her to replace Rob, it would have been announced during or shortly following Rob's departure.

Maybe they are still negotiating contract details?

there is a sports anchor/reporter job opening posted on the site so idk what it implies

That posting has been up since May, probably when they began the search for the new sports anchor. They're required to post job openings publicly even if they intend to offer it to an internal candidate. That's all it means.

• Like 2

That posting has been up since May, probably when they began the search for the new sports anchor. They're required to post job openings publicly even if they intend to offer it to an internal candidate. That's all it means.

And it should be noted that every TV News talent agent knew of that opening before the actual job was posted.

Keeping that couch warm and ready.

• Like 1

Tony Yates filled in for Lori a few mornings this past week. I actually thought she was great with Ken. I prefer her to Shirleen.

Well that won't be for too long. Lori is on Vacation so thats why various people are filling in for her.

• 2 weeks later...
So whats the consensus on the addition of Shirleen to WABC. Its been a year now since she joined from WPVI.

My guess is she was added to lighten the load of work the morning anchors have to do since the Noon broadcast expanded to the extra hour.

• Like 1

He did, from WKYC, where Lisa Colagrossi also worked. Tappy Phillips left the station Powers is going to, WEWS. WEWS also had John Hambrick back in the day.

John was WEWS's first **star** anchor after market legend Dorothy Fuldheim. Later on he went to WTVJ to face the unenviable task of succeeding another broadcasting pioneer, Ralph Renick.

John's brother Judd later went to WJKW (the former and current WJW), then to WKYC for two stays in the 80s and 90s... where he was initially paired with Al Roker as chief meteorologist (NBC ran WKYC as an AAA team for WMAQ and WNBC until 1990).

Lisa joined WKYC shortly after NBC sold off majority control of the station.