WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Does anyone have a clue what that font is that's used for the names? I can't make heads nor tails of it. It's not Helvetica/Univers like they've been using, it's not Gotham like in LA, Houston, and ABC News, and it's not the network's promo font.

The video for the new short open syncs up pretty well with the "primary open" cut of the KABC 2014 Eyewitness News package found on newsmusicnow.com.

Like the move to a simpler, cleaner, modern look. Not completely sold on it yet but it's definitely an improvement.

Wait... What would be the point of whoever posting them if they only wanted them to be private? Why would they privatize them once people start looking at them? That makes literally no sense.

Because it's easier to post them "publicly" and share them internally than it is to privatize them and add an extra step to viewing the thing. By the time people on here find them, they're probably not needed anymore and they get yanked offline.

I hope these are early drafts, because what I'm seeing right now is NOT up to the quality you would expect from Market #1.

• Like 1

Because it's easier to post them "publicly" and share them internally than it is to privatize them and add an extra step to viewing the thing. By the time people on here find them, they're probably not needed anymore and they get yanked offline.

I hope these are early drafts, because what I'm seeing right now is NOT up to the quality you would expect from Market #1.

Definitely agree- there isn't much polish on them, but based on the fact that the new opens were shot with the anchors in front of a white backdrop instead of in the studio leads me to believe that these are the general design they are going with.

Attach them in an internal email... Problem solved.

• Like 2

Likely there weren't the final versions and were just up there temporarily for internal use and sharing. Ether way, we'll see the new look in all its glory soon.

But again why would you need to put them up there on a public site to share them internally?

But again why would you need to put them up there on a public site to share them internally?

Well...

And look at that, yanked offline.

Does anyone have any idea if they'll be 16:9 or will they still be safe zoned like channel 2?

Whether or not those opens are final, they seemed to be 16:9. That would also fit with the shift to full-screen by KTRK and KABC.

Attach them in an internal email... Problem solved.

What's even the point. Idiots.

Kinda lazy and half assed on their creative services part...

Couple of points here:

1) The link to the open might have been posted on an internal email and not everyone has a Vimeo account. Also, their e-mail servers might actually block out or strip attachments if they have a certain ending and considering that there is probably a "size" limit within an enterprise setting, this was probably the easiest way to get it up for review.

2) Yes it is lazy for the uploader to not set the privacy. I know for youtube there is a way there is a privacy setting to where whomever gets the link to the video can see it, but it remains unsearchable to those that might not have a link. I would think Vimeo is the same way.

New weather graphics hinted during the 6pm weathercast. A new font seen in the radar/satellite pic, new font and bar for the temps, and a new animation and font for upcoming weather. I am not a big fan of the upcoming changes. I love WABC's current graphics in every way.

image.thumb.jpeg.19755a1cbc063d7474c9148f59608202.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ebb608b513aa0fcfdaca3e54a1f6d68b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.23abcfb1b4a4a36396ec2db5b9f07b77.jpeg

New weather graphics hinted during the 6pm weathercast. A new font seen in the radar/satellite pic, new font and bar for the temps, and a new animation and font for upcoming weather. I am not a big fan of the upcoming changes. I love WABC's current graphics in every way.

[ATTACH]2809[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2810[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2811[/ATTACH]

The current graphics are coming up on 5 years old, the limitations of the package are becoming evident with the graphics dept coming up with new ways to animate the existing graphics to try to meet new demands... Also there are a lot of unnecessary and outdated 3D movements in the current package that aren't in style anymore, especially for DMA 1.

• Like 3