WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Could be. I raised the question because I wonder if a station in the #1 DMA would be willing to have a female chief sports anchor. If it's up to Camille, then maybe it would happen. But otherwise, I imagine there might be some apprehension about how viewers would respond to a female delivering sports on weeknights.

I'm pretty sure Sam Ryan (female) was lead sports anchor at WCBS for a period of time.

• Like 1

Could be. I raised the question because I wonder if a station in the #1 DMA would be willing to have a female chief sports anchor. If it's up to Camille, then maybe it would happen. But otherwise, I imagine there might be some apprehension about how viewers would respond to a female delivering sports on weeknights.

Laura is great. But honestly Camille will jump at putting a black male in that position.

Or Rob Nelson.. Who I'm surprised doesn't get much more airtime.. Camille Edwards better watch out cause WCBS is creeping up on them it seems and WNBC has a fresh start coming soon while I don't think it's enough to beat 7 you never know what will happen.

I think it's because Rob isn't "Camille's guy," in the fact that he came from network and was probably pushed a bit on WABC. I agree, he deserves more airtime. He's a pro.

True. There is no way Camille would allow a white male to ascend to an anchor position. She'll shove Shirleen and a future minority male hire down our throats before that happens.

You realize the "minority" ethnicities of black, Latino and Asian are actually the majority in New York City, right?. Blacks and Latinos alone make up 53% of the NYC population; Asians another 12%. It's too bad you're not satisfied with the fact that the station's 4 weather anchors, 2 sports anchors and 3 of the weekday anchors are Caucasian or that WABC is trying to have a news team that reflects the audience it serves.

You've posted on here before about Camille Edwards forcing minorities down your throat. Please, nobody is forcing you to watch. You can change the channel to other stations. Be forewarned, however, some of them are even more diverse than Ch. 7 is. Maybe you're better off moving back to the 1950s.

• Like 3

You realize the "minority" ethnicities of black, Latino and Asian are actually the majority in New York City, right?. Blacks and Latinos alone make up 53% of the NYC population; Asians another 12%. It's too bad you're not satisfied with the fact that the station's 4 weather anchors, 2 sports anchors and 3 of the weekday anchors are Caucasian or that WABC is trying to have a news team that reflects the audience it serves.

You've posted on here before about Camille Edwards forcing minorities down your throat. Please, nobody is forcing you to watch. You can change the channel to other stations. Be forewarned, however, some of them are even more diverse than Ch. 7 is. Maybe you're better off moving back to the 1950s.

Jeez, calm down there. You seem like one of those annoying social justice warriors. I can tell because generally they always end a huffy statement with a similar (usually copy and pasted) witty (or what you think is witty) line. In this case it was "Maybe you're better off moving back to the 1950s." I hope you were pleased with that one.

And you're off base. I'm for the BEST person getting the job. Whether that be someone who is black, white, asian, hispanic, or purple. If you cared to do any research, you'd see Camille is notorious for replacing well known talent with young minority hires, at the expense of ratings and viewer trust. She has done this well before WABC, it's her MO. As many have said, Shirleen is not here to anchor the noon news.

• Like 1

Jeez, calm down there. You seem like one of those annoying social justice warriors. I can tell because generally they always end a huffy statement with a similar (usually copy and pasted) witty (or what you think is witty) line. In this case it was "Maybe you're better off moving back to the 1950s." I hope you were pleased with that one.

And you're off base. I'm for the BEST person getting the job. Whether that be someone who is black, white, asian, hispanic, or purple. If you cared to do any research, you'd see Camille is notorious for replacing well known talent with young minority hires, at the expense of ratings and viewer trust. She has done this well before WABC, it's her MO. As many have said, Shirleen is not here to anchor the noon news.

I agree with you 100% about the BEST person getting the job. Your posts just gave the impression you were against minorities being hired.. not against minorities being hired just for the sake of being hired. That said, it is television and you need to hire people who viewers can relate to and viewers often do take ethnicity into account. It might not sit well with many but it's the truth.

• Like 2

Lori and Ken are in at noon and I must say, I miss them doing the noon news. It's a better vibe and flows much better than David and Shirleen.

They were on yesterday too at noon. I don't really prefer one or the other, but there was one day this week Shirleen was on with Liz at 4, and I thought they meshed well together.

They were on yesterday too at noon. I don't really prefer one or the other, but there was one day this week Shirleen was on with Liz at 4, and I thought they meshed well together.

If any major anchor shakeup would happen (which is unlikely), I will like to see Rob Nelson and Diana Williams in the morning. Diana is such an amazing journalist and is such a comedian on the low. I feel these two will work extremely well together.

Ok, on a different note - look for a graphics update for May sweeps - along with an update to the ABC "eyewitness news" package from Warner/Gari custom for WABC. This is long in the making and finally coming.

The "clunkiness" of the current on-air image is going away.

Ok, on a different note - look for a graphics update for May sweeps - along with an update to the ABC "eyewitness news" package from Warner/Gari custom for WABC. This is long in the making and finally coming.

The "clunkiness" of the current on-air image is going away.

We've heard this before- probably not gonna happen. At least for a while.

• Like 2

image.jpeg.cb495538da14e568a5ee97604a5d1107.jpeg

You said the same thing just about a year ago. Please, stop with your guessing games. We know there are at least some updates opens coming just from some of the anchors' social media accounts but that's all. Let's wait until WABC actually debuts something new and then we can comment away.

The "clunkiness" of the current on- image is going away.

• Like 3

Interesting anchor line up today:

Noon: David and Sandra

4pm: David and Lori

5pm: Bill and Shirleen

6pm: (probably) Bill solo

11pm (probably) Bill and Shirleen

Interesting because of the fact almost everyone including Lee is off

Bill was solo at 6pm. I see Lori was on in the morning as well. Wonder if Ken was there too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just found what appears to be two of WABC's new opens. Let's just say, they are quite a bit different than the current package. Same color scheme and same cut of 'Eyewitness News', but the whole look is flatter and kind of blocky. The colors and hard edges remind of KTRK and the transitions of horizontal moving boxes are reminiscent of WLS. That said, it appears to be an all-new package and full-screen, abandoning the safe zone. Very clean and beautiful.

I'd post them here, but then they'll probably be privatized and others might not be posted. Message me if you want to see them, or try and find them yourself. They're on Vimeo.

• Like 1

Those are some very blah graphics for WABC.

They're even worse with WABC's cut of Eyewitness News. I mean, that music is so dramatic and fast paced, and those graphics look so minimal and wimpy. They clash horribly.

They're just too simple for WABC, I think.

I just found what appears to be two of WABC's new opens. Let's just say, they are quite a bit different than the current package. Same color scheme and same cut of 'Eyewitness News', but the whole look is flatter and kind of blocky. The colors and hard edges remind of KTRK and the transitions of horizontal moving boxes are reminiscent of WLS. That said, it appears to be an all-new package and full-screen, abandoning the safe zone. Very clean and beautiful.

I'd post them here, but then they'll probably be privatized and others might not be posted. Message me if you want to see them, or try and find them yourself. They're on Vimeo.

Wait... What would be the point of whoever posting them if they only wanted them to be private? Why would they privatize them once people start looking at them? That makes literally no sense.

Wait... What would be the point of whoever posting them if they only wanted them to be private? Why would they privatize them once people start looking at them? That makes literally no sense.

I don't know the reason why, but it happens all the time.

I can't count the number of times someone on here has seen and shared a video pre-debut graphics package or set, the poster apparently notices an uptick in views, and hides them.

• Like 1

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic