WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Can anyone shed light on the way the beat reporters are rotated on air? Dray Clark has disappeared from the air in recent weeks, and it seems longer than a typical vacation. I'm enjoying Darla Miles in the morning slot... it's curious. Also, seemingly gone a lot lately are Carolina Reid and Anthony Johnson.

Their copy writing skills would really come to the fore... :D

Now, now, we established that that was proper usage of the term...an outdated term only really used by 70 year old white guys on the cusp of retirement. ;)

• Like 2

A somewhat of a rarity regarding programming on 7 tonight.

Tonight is the airing of The Ten Commandments on ABC, which the network will air at 7pm/ET. That's no rarity. But the rarity is that WABC is pushing the movie one hour later to 8pm, because it's schedule to air an hour-long Auto Show special at 7pm.

That means (because of the length of the movie (with ads)) the late news will be aired at 12:44am!!!

I don't think I've remembered the station airing news this late, and it didn't involve a sporting event.

• Like 1

Just watching the Saturday AM broadcast. Gotta say, whomever assembled the team of Michelle Charlesworth, Rob Nelson, and Amy Freeze is damn smart. Their instincts in combining news gravitas with a lighter, less intense, Saturday friendly tone is spot on. As much as I'd love to see them all in weekday anchor slots (especially Michelle), I cannot imagine starting the weekend with others.

• Like 1

A somewhat of a rarity regarding programming on 7 tonight.

Tonight is the airing of The Ten Commandments on ABC, which the network will air at 7pm/ET. That's no rarity. But the rarity is that WABC is pushing the movie one hour later to 8pm, because it's schedule to air an hour-long Auto Show special at 7pm.

That means (because of the length of the movie (with ads)) the late news will be aired at 12:44am!!!

I don't think I've remembered the station airing news this late, and it didn't involve a sporting event.

The auto show seems to be a big deal for ABC7. They have Liz Cho, Bill Evans, Heather O'Rourke, Joe Torres, Jeff Smith, Michelle Charlesworth, Rob Nelson and Amy Freeze there all day taking photos and signing autographs in front of the Eyewitness News van inside the Javitz Center.

The auto show seems to be a big deal for ABC7. They have Liz Cho, Bill Evans, Heather O'Rourke, Joe Torres, Jeff Smith, Michelle Charlesworth, Rob Nelson and Amy Freeze there all day taking photos and signing autographs in front of the Eyewitness News van inside the Javitz Center.

Probably because doing something local is smarter business than not...

• Like 2

We once speculated at great lengths the possibility that Rob would eventually transition to news while at WABC. However, the hiring of Shirleen virtually eliminated that possibility. It also essentially put an end to Rob filling in for the news anchors which he had previously been doing more and more of. So, if he indeed wants to transition to news, I guess this makes sense. Would be a loss for the team at a time when more instability isn't needed. Would also raise the question: what happens to Laura Benhke?

We once speculated at great lengths the possibility that Rob would eventually transition to news while at WABC. However, the hiring of Shirleen virtually eliminated that possibility. It also essentially put an end to Rob filling in for the news anchors which he had previously been doing more and more of. So, if he indeed wants to transition to news, I guess this makes sense. Would be a loss for the team at a time when more instability isn't needed. Would also raise the question: what happens to Laura Benhke?

i would think she would become the lead then they hire someone?

True. There is no way Camille would allow a white male to ascend to an anchor position. She'll shove Shirleen and a future minority male hire down our throats before that happens.

i would think she would become the lead then they hire someone?

Could be. I raised the question because I wonder if a station in the #1 DMA would be willing to have a female chief sports anchor. If it's up to Camille, then maybe it would happen. But otherwise, I imagine there might be some apprehension about how viewers would respond to a female delivering sports on weeknights.

True. There is no way Camille would allow a white male to ascend to an anchor position. She'll shove Shirleen and a future minority male hire down our throats before that happens.

Or Rob Nelson.. Who I'm surprised doesn't get much more airtime.. Camille Edwards better watch out cause WCBS is creeping up on them it seems and WNBC has a fresh start coming soon while I don't think it's enough to beat 7 you never know what will happen.