WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Jim Dolan just tweeted that he is returning to air after eight weeks off. Anybody know why he was off for two months?

I saw that too, didn't even realize he was gone. And Jim is great, one of the best reporters WABC has. From his previous replies, it looks like he is playing coy as to why (understandably.)

The AccuWeather team launched a promo featuring TENGA like graphics. I didn't see the video but this is just a promo, I repeat this is JUST A PROMO! They will definitely not use these anytime soon as weather or news graphics.

[MEDIA=twitter]704115164254183424[/MEDIA]

#accuweatherpromise

Seems like they're doing something new at 5.. Called the "Breaking News Live Desk".. Which is in the newsroom..where the go for all the breaking stories (obviously). So far there have been 3.. All done by Shirleen Allicot.. One time they went from a remote shot straight to her.. Seems cool I like it but also seems like it could be extremely over used after a while

Seems like they're doing something new at 5.. Called the "Breaking News Live Desk".. Which is in the newsroom..where the go for all the breaking stories (obviously). So far there have been 3.. All done by Shirleen Allicot.. One time they went from a remote shot straight to her.. Seems cool I like it but also seems like it could be extremely over used after a while

There really isn't much difference between this and Scripps "Live Center" concept....

• Like 1

I watched the archived 5pm on the NewsON app. Wow the "Breaking News Live Desk" is pretty dumb. First of all, it's just the same flash cam desk they use for every newsroom report. Just say "there's breaking news - let's go to Shirleen Allicot in the newsroom..." The segment where Shirleen just cut in from the newsroom after the remote shot could've easily been handled by the anchors in the studio. WABC should put the energy they're spending on this into the 11pm newscast.

There really isn't much difference between this and Scripps "Live Center" concept....

Or the 'Satellite Center' from 1990's.....or the "Update Desk' of the 80's.....or "The Newsroom" of the 70's...

Overused???

Never!

Camille Edwards is going to destroy this station.

Trust me - they didn't bring Shirleen in just to anchor the noon news. Camille has much bigger plans for her - she was her "baby" at WPVI - and Camille brought her along to WABC.

Shirleen will have 2 hours at the desk by the end of the year.

• Like 4

Trust me - they didn't bring Shirleen in just to anchor the noon news. Camille has much bigger plans for her - she was her "baby" at WPVI - and Camille brought her along to WABC.

Shirleen will have 2 hours at the desk by the end of the year.

I agree and I feel it will unfourtanately involve Diana Williams being affected in someway

I agree and I feel it will unfourtanately involve Diana Williams being affected in someway

WPVI has a way of foreshadowing when an anchor is retiring or leaving. They brought in Eva Pilgrim in December 2012, and was mentioned that she was hired as an anchor, which she didn't start doing until July 2013 when Rob Jennings retired (she replaced Walter who replaced Rob). WPVI hired Sharrie Williams as contributing 5pm anchor in March 2014, and she replaced Shirleen at 4pm who departed 14 months later. Gray Hall was hired in November 2015 and replaced Eva Pilgrim after she announced she was leaving a month later. So perhaps things work similarly at WABC and Shirleen's hire is a foreshadow of someone leaving in the future (a well thought out long term plan).

Question, was Liz hired to be top dog right upon arrivial, or did she do like the noon for a little bit before assuming the 11 (and 6)?

Yes. Diana (who was on at 6/11 with Bill) had expressed a desire to lighten her workload because of family. When the 5pm co-anchor spot opened (with the exit of Rob Hanrahan), they moved Diana to that spot (next to Roz) and hired Liz to sit next to Bill. Then Roz left because she was passed over for 6/11 and was replaced by Sade at 5 (Sade took over the noon from Lori for a short time after being hired but once she got the 5pm noon reverted to Lori). Then in 2011 the 4pm is created with Liz expressing a desire to lessen her hours, so she dropped 11pm for 4pm with Sade picking up 11pm.

I honestly don't think anyone will leave but certain roles will be swapped.

Shirleen: promoted from noon co-anchor/early evening reporter to 5 & 11 pm co-anchor.

Sade: bumped off 5 & 11 pm to noon co-anchor/early evening reporter

Diana & Liz: same roles as they are now.

I honestly don't think anyone will leave but certain roles will be swapped.

Shirleen: promoted from noon co-anchor/early evening reporter to 5 & 11 pm co-anchor.

Sade: bumped off 5 & 11 pm to noon co-anchor/early evening reporter

Diana & Liz: same roles as they are now.

Why would they go through all that trouble? It's more likely that Shirleen will replace Diana at some point. No need to shuffle everyone around.

Why would they go through all that trouble? It's more likely that Shirleen will replace Diana at some point. No need to shuffle everyone around.

That's not shuffling every one around. It's shuffling 2 people Shirleen and sade swapping schedules every one else keeps their same schedules .

That's not shuffling every one around. It's shuffling 2 people Shirleen and sade swapping schedules every one else keeps their same schedules .

There's no need to do that. There's a reason why the hired Shirleen and put her on at noon when they could have given Diana the noon show. Diana will most likely retire in the next few years and it will be a lot less trouble to have Shirleen assume the 5pm newscast.

• Like 1

There's no need to do that. There's a reason why the hired Shirleen and put her on at noon when they could have given Diana the noon show. Diana will most likely retire in the next few years and it will be a lot less trouble to have Shirleen assume the 5pm newscast.

Whatever you say

Funny how people here say Camille has such big plans for Shirleen yet knock any ideas I have about Shirleen getting the 5 & 11 gig. You all can believe what you wanna believe but if Camille has big plans for Shirleen I see it being primary anchor not a frumpy low rated noon anchor .

Funny how people here say Camille has such big plans for Shirleen yet knock any ideas I have about Shirleen getting the 5 & 11 gig. You all can believe what you wanna believe but if Camille has big plans for Shirleen I see it being primary anchor not a frumpy low rated noon anchor .

People? I think one person said it, not people. And why you getting so excited? A3N said he doesn't see that happening and I agreed. No need to throw a temper tantrum.

• Like 3

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic