WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

From 1989 to 1990 Storm Field was the chief met at WABC doing the weather on the weekday 6 and 11pm newscast with Sam Champion doing the weather on the 5pm newscast, Art McFarland in addition to co-anchoring eyewitness News this Morning did the weather and Bill Evans did the weather on the weekend newscasts. As far as I know Art McFarland was not a met. Just a weathercaster. In 1990 Storm Field left WABC and Sam Champion took over his weather duties which included being chief met a position he held till 2006 when Lee Goldberg took over for him. Bill Evans continued doing weekend weather until 1992 when he moved over to Eyewitness News this Morning and Eyewitness News at Noon. Bill is the only person to have done the weather for Eyewitness News at Noon. Triva question. Who were the first co-anchors for Eyewitness News at Noon? I will revival the answer Monday afternoon.

Who were the first co-anchors for Eyewitness News at Noon?

Unless there was some turnover in that first year, I'd assume that this video answers the question...

[yt]qkeqkCeMuyw[/yt]

From 1989 to 1990 Storm Field was the chief met at WABC doing the weather on the weekday 6 and 11pm newscast with Sam Champion doing the weather on the 5pm newscast, Art McFarland in addition to co-anchoring eyewitness News this Morning did the weather and Bill Evans did the weather on the weekend newscasts. As far as I know Art McFarland was not a met. Just a weathercaster. In 1990 Storm Field left WABC and Sam Champion took over his weather duties which included being chief met a position he held till 2006 when Lee Goldberg took over for him. Bill Evans continued doing weekend weather until 1992 when he moved over to Eyewitness News this Morning and Eyewitness News at Noon. Bill is the only person to have done the weather for Eyewitness News at Noon. Triva question. Who were the first co-anchors for Eyewitness News at Noon? I will revival the answer Monday afternoon.

Sam isn't a met either is he?

Correct. Edye Tarbox now E.D. Hill and Victoria Corderi were the first co-anchors of Eyewitness News at Noon in 1992. I believe Edye was also co-anchor of Eyewitness News this Morning during that time tho not sure about Victoria. In 1993 Tim Fleischer started to alternate with Edye and Victoria on the EWN at Noon. Yes Sam was not a met. I don't believe tho Bill ever held the title of chief met.

In all honesty tho does chief meteorologist really mean anything or is it just a title? Yes I understand the evening spot is the more prominent time slot? But other than having "Chief Meteorologist" written next to your name.. What else does it mean?

Nothing. Al Roker was the 5 pm met at WNBC from 1996 to 2000 after giving up the 6 and 11 pm newscast for the Today Show while Janice Huff was the 6 and 11 pm met till taking on the 5 pm duties in 2000. Not sure who was chief met there at the time. Also WCBS did team weather with two met's briefly in 2002 on I believe the 6 and 11 pm newscast.

2:30am-1:30pm.. I just saw that comment. Wow. That's an extremely long day.. Once in a while that's ok if needed but every day is way to much. My question is what is Bill's shift? I'm assuming it's something similar. I know hes not on camera as much as the anchors but still..

2:30am-1:30pm.. I just saw that comment. Wow. That's an extremely long day.. Once in a while that's ok if needed but every day is way to much. My question is what is Bill's shift? I'm assuming it's something similar. I know hes not on camera as much as the anchors but still..

Agree. Once in a while is okay but 5 days a week is rough. Ken did say he'd be filling in for David in a few weeks. I wonder if Shirleen will become a main fill-in in the morning.

Lee Goldberg was in for Amy Freeze this morning on EWN Weekend. Haven't seen him on the show before.

I remember in 2000 when he was on weekends, he did the weekend evenings plus Sunday mornings. When they'd expanded to Saturday Mornings (the same time GMA weekend debuted), then he just did the Weekend Evenings only.

I don't think I'd ever remembered him filling in on Saturday Mornings, although I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first time.

EDIT: Amy stated that she will be doing the 6 & 11pm tonight.

The first two anchors of EWN at Noon were Tim Fleisher and Eyde Tarbox. Victoria Corderi took over after Fleisher was replaced on the morning show by Harry Martin.

I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed in time for the start of the show, but here's the 12:30 open, talent and all...

[yt]lYtfaMX7vEo[/yt]

Interesting they said "and meteorologist Bill Evans" instead of "and Bill Evans with the exclusive Accu-Weather forecast." Also, they didn't have a shot together the 3 of them with "Now Eyewitness News at Noon" or anything. Plus, they didn't used to have a talent open at 12:30pm. So some differences with this open.

Interesting they said "and meteorologist Bill Evans" instead of "and Bill Evans with the exclusive Accu-Weather forecast." Also, they didn't have a shot together the 3 of them with "Now Eyewitness News at Noon" or anything. Plus, they didn't used to have a talent open at 12:30pm. So some differences with this open.

Looks like it was slapped together in a short amount of time. Which makes me wonder why they didn't take the time to do the talent open/rejoin look the same as the other ones? Also, i'm under the impression that they will be looking to move Bill off the noon show in the not so distant future. I'm sure they only kept him around to provide some stability and to give them some time to look for another weather person to add. They can do what KTRK does and have one weather person for the AM, one for the midday/noon and early afternoon news and the evening weather person to balance the load out.

Looks like it was slapped together in a short amount of time. Which makes me wonder why they didn't take the time to do the talent open/rejoin look the same as the other ones? Also, i'm under the impression that they will be looking to move Bill off the noon show in the not so distant future. I'm sure they only kept him around to provide some stability and to give them some time to look for another weather person to add. They can do what KTRK does and have one weather person for the AM, one for the midday/noon and early afternoon news and the evening weather person to balance the load out.

Yeah, many would say that having three weekday weather anchors is a unnecessary, but 5 (if not more) of WABC's sister stations have 3, so there is precedent. Three of those five have 7 broadcasts to fill, while the other two have 6. Four air an hour of news on another local station.

If they do being in someone else I wonder if they'd bring in someone completely new or have Amy and Jeff split the days. I personally think they'd bring in someone new WABC is big on having solid teams and not rotating people. I agree with moving Bill. It seems like they are trying to lighten the load on their staff. Example normally Amy would work all weekend if Jeff was off.. and visa versa.. They had Lee in on Saturday am and Amy on Saturday night. Not sure for Sunday but that's just an observation

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic