WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Well here's the job description on their website. There's only one job opening for reporter/anchor, so it seems that she'll anchor with someone internally (likely David Navarro).

Reporter / Anchor

WABC-TV, NY seeks an experienced reporter / anchor for New York's top news organization. Five years broadcast news experience required, some major market experience preferred. Candidates must be great journalists, communicators, writers, and story-tellers, both from the set and the field. Candidates must be adept at social media, and know how to drive interaction with the audience.

Probably report for the morning show and anchor the noon? Or will Michelle finally get put on weekdays? It's possible though that the station views her as crucial to their weekend AM morning show and won't pull her off that.

• Like 2

Probably report for the morning show and anchor the noon? Or will Michelle finally get put on weekdays? It's possible though that the station views her as crucial to their weekend AM morning show and won't pull her off that.

If they were moving Michelle they'd prob move Rob too.. They're too good to split up just for the noon show

It's likely that one of the main anchors are leaving. If you're an evening anchor in a big market like Philadelphia, you don't come to New York just to anchor at noon without the promise that you'll be anchoring a more prominent show. For example, Sade came from Baltimore with the promise of filling a bigger spot once Roz left. David came back from Chicago with the promise of anchoring the new 4pm show.

So... Looks like Lori, Diana, Sade or Liz may be saying goodbye and some point soon.

It's likely that one of the main anchors are leaving. If you're an evening anchor in a big market like Philadelphia, you don't come to New York just to anchor at noon without the promise that you'll be anchoring a more prominent show. For example, Sade came from Baltimore with the promise of filling a bigger spot once Roz left. David came back from Chicago with the promise of anchoring the new 4pm show.

So... Looks like Lori, Diana, Sade or Liz may be saying goodbye and some point soon.

when sade came and roz left to go downtown to channel 2 roz only had the 5 pm show right and never had the 11 pm show (which she lost)? cause i remember diana had the 11 pm show and when did they take her off, i left ny in 2003

when sade came and roz left to go downtown to channel 2 roz only had the 5 pm show right and never had the 11 pm show (which she lost)? cause i remember diana had the 11 pm show and when did they take her off, i left ny in 2003

Correct. Roz wanted the 11pm slot after Diana moved from 6 & 11 to co-anchor the 5pm when Robb Hanrahan left. WABC opted to hire Liz Cho instead and Roz let them know she would be leaving. So, Sade was brought on first as noon anchor (displacing Lori Stokes for a few months - which she initially was not happy about) and then moved to 5pm alongside Diana once Roz said farewell.

I'm curious to know what the intentions behind this move are. Is it that after Lisa's untimely death, that the ND wants the morning shift to work less hours? Or is it that they are wanting viewers to get acclimated with Shirleen so that she can eventually replace another anchor? Or maybe both? But for some reason, I think that Diana will be the one to be replaced-- via retirement or just leaving on her own.

New weekday teams could be something like this? :

Mornings: Lori & Ken

Noon: Shirleen & David

4: Liz & David

5: Shirleen & Sade

6: Liz & Bill

11: Sade & Bill.

With Diana possibly wanting to come off the anchor desk to be more by her husbands side perhaps she can continue her weekly Sunday show?

I'm curious to know what the intentions behind this move are. Is it that after Lisa's untimely death, that the ND wants the morning shift to work less hours? Or is it that they are wanting viewers to get acclimated with Shirleen so that she can eventually replace another anchor? Or maybe both? But for some reason, I think that Diana will be the one to be replaced-- via retirement or just leaving on her own.

More likely that she is being groomed to soon replace a departing anchor, just as Sade was. You might be right about Diana, although she is my favorite anchor there, she has been there close to 25 years now! Perhaps she is deciding that it's time to take a step back.. But that is all just speculation. Liz just signed a new contract so is likely staying put. I wonder about Lori and Sade.

Correct. Roz wanted the 11pm slot after Diana moved from 6 & 11 to co-anchor the 5pm when Robb Hanrahan left. WABC opted to hire Liz Cho instead and Roz let them know she would be leaving. So, Sade was brought on first as noon anchor (displacing Lori Stokes for a few months - which she initially was not happy about) and then moved to 5pm alongside Diana once Roz said farewell.

EDIT WHOOPS CAN this be deleted?

New weekday teams could be something like this? :

Mornings: Lori & Ken

Noon: Shirleen & David

4: Liz & David

5: Shirleen & Sade

6: Liz & Bill

11: Sade & Bill.

With Diana possibly wanting to come off the anchor desk to be more by her husbands side perhaps she can continue her weekly Sunday show?

If the sole reason for Shirleen's hire is because Diana wants to come off the anchor desk, then a more sensible and less-costly solution would have been:

4&6: David & Liz

5&11: Bill & Sade

Also, if Shirleen is later moved to evenings, I almost feel like Lori will rightfully be pissed.

The problem with Shirleen replacing Lori is that Michelle is perfect and groomed for that chair. If Lori is leaving and Michelle isn't used as a replacement, she may jump shift to another station.

The problem with Shirleen replacing anyone on the weeknight is that Lori would probably like a weeknight spot instead of mornings, and Lori definitely had seniority.

WABC needs to be careful. It has a solid lineup of great talent but with too many, you risk losing some if they don't have enough air time or if you add people instead of moving them.

If someone does leave on the evening shift, I think Lori should get the spot and Shirleen should then take the morning shift. That would make the most successful transition minus Michelle in my opinion. Hoping it's not Diana or Liz, those are my two personal favorites.

The only two I could see leaving are Diana or Lori.. Diana to spend more time with her husband and Lori has parents out in Clevland and might wanna move out closer to them. More likely tho it's Diana. If it is I don't think they want to split the morning team up, they are great. If Lori gets a pay raise and can stay on mornings and she's happy I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic