WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Ok, there are a lot of red flags going off right now. Rob is co anchoring with Liz at 6pm right now and Laura is doing sports. This never happens. Bill or Liz usually solo when the other is out. Very, VERY odd. Could this be in prep for Bill retiring, could this be because NBC 4 doesn't solo at 6 anymore? Either way, very odd.

yeah I agree..Its been weird the past few weeks..Lori Stokes was off for about 2 weeks... They had Michelle (normal) filling in..Sandra Bookman and Lauren Glassberg which hasn't happened in a while even before she went on leave..Then over the weekend Kemberly Richhardson filled in for Rob Nelson on Saturday..David Novarro filled in Sunday.. Today Ken was out and Michelle filled in..according to Lori Stokes David will be in for him later on in the week..I don't know if they have people out but the 6:00 with Rob filling in is the biggest question.. I'm only 20 but as long as I've watch the news I don't remember them ever giving a fill in at 6pm..

I'm not completely up on WABC but are we talking solo-anchoring 6pm in the past and it being interesting they are not or? Sorry for the silly question but this is interesting.

Yes. They NEVER have a sub at 6pm unless both Liz and Bill are off and at that, they still get someone to solo.

Yes. They NEVER have a sub at 6pm unless both Liz and Bill are off and at that, they still get someone to solo.

That's interesting, I am surprised that in market #1 they would solo anchor a weekday newscast at 6pm. Usually I see that at 11 (or 10 if it's CT) in places like Detroit and Chicago where I spend the most time and see the most news. They usually carry over the anchors from previous newscasts like 5pm. WXYZ still runs a 7pm newscast so the sub may carry over to 6 and 7 and then have a solo 11pm show. Although with Dave Manney from WNBC at the helm now that has ceased and an anchor may do 5, 530, 6, 7 and 11.

Ok, there are a lot of red flags going off right now. Rob is co anchoring with Liz at 6pm right now and Laura is doing sports. This never happens. Bill or Liz usually solo when the other is out. Very, VERY odd. Could this be in prep for Bill retiring, could this be because NBC 4 doesn't solo at 6 anymore? Either way, very odd.

Interesting. I don't think Bill's retiring any time soon. I wonder if Rob volunteered to do it -- maybe they usually fly solo because it's hard to find people to do the 6, or maybe the ND figured she'd give it a shot? Just a pure guess.

Interesting. I don't think Bill's retiring any time soon. I wonder if Rob volunteered to do it -- maybe they usually fly solo because it's hard to find people to do the 6, or maybe the ND figured she'd give it a shot? Just a pure guess.

I don't think it's because it's hard to find people to do the 6, I'm sure any person employed at WABC would love to anchor the 6pm. I don't think Bill is retiring yet either, all I was pointing out was that he is getting to the age where he can retire at anytime.

That's interesting, I am surprised that in market #1 they would solo anchor a weekday newscast at 6pm. Usually I see that at 11 (or 10 if it's CT) in places like Detroit and Chicago where I spend the most time and see the most news. They usually carry over the anchors from previous newscasts like 5pm. WXYZ still runs a 7pm newscast so the sub may carry over to 6 and 7 and then have a solo 11pm show. Although with Dave Manney from WNBC at the helm now that has ceased and an anchor may do 5, 530, 6, 7 and 11.

very good point... the trend here in NY is to have a solo anchor at 6pm. It's been that way for a few years now. Dana Tyler is a solo anchor at WCBS, Steve Lacey at WNYW, and formally Chuck Scarborough at WNBC, now with Sibila Vargas. So when you do the math, 2 out of 4 stations here in NY do solo anchoring at 6pm. Soloing at 11pm is pretty rare, although I've seen it at WCBS, WNBC, and occasionally WABC. One thing though in my book that is a no-no is soloing at 5pm. The only station I've ever seen do that is WPIX, with kaity soloing when Tamsen and Scott are off, usually during holidays. But the bottom line is that soloing at 6pm is not that rare and surprising, at least here in NY. I kind of like it.

very good point... the trend here in NY is to have a solo anchor at 6pm. It's been that way for a few years now. Dana Tyler is a solo anchor at WCBS, Steve Lacey at WNYW, and formally Chuck Scarborough at WNBC, now with Sibila Vargas. So when you do the math, 2 out of 4 stations here in NY do solo anchoring at 6pm. Soloing at 11pm is pretty rare, although I've seen it at WCBS, WNBC, and occasionally WABC. One thing though in my book that is a no-no is soloing at 5pm. The only station I've ever seen do that is WPIX, with kaity soloing when Tamsen and Scott are off, usually during holidays. But the bottom line is that soloing at 6pm is not that rare and surprising, at least here in NY. I kind of like it.

Probably because the 5 is an hour long.. It's probably hard and boring for one person to talk an hour straight.. Only time where they've been solo for the 5 at the desk is if partner is out in the field.. I personally can't stand solo anchors.. However Fox5 does make good with the format they use at 6pm

Bill is not retiring.

Probably because the 5 is an hour long.. It's probably hard and boring for one person to talk an hour straight.. Only time where they've been solo for the 5 at the desk is if partner is out in the field.. I personally can't stand solo anchors.. However Fox5 does make good with the format they use at 6pm

WPIX did solo @ 5 when Jodi Applegate worked there

Maybe Rob is prepping to take Bill's place (as you mentioned) when Bill retires and Laura is going to take Rob's place? BTW you mentioned that Rob was anchoring at 6 did he also at 11 with Sade or did Sade just anchor solo?

I missed the 6 PM last night, however I did catch the 11 PM and that was the first time I saw Rob fill-in anchoring on the 11 instead of just the 4 PM and I can get used to that (If indeed Rob is the one to replace Bill when he retires)...The whole team was great last night

Anyone notice how tight the two anchor shots have been on Ch. 7 lately? Just now at the start of the 5pm w/ Diana & Sade and last night when they closed the 11pm w/ Sade & Rob, the shots were super tight.

Also, with daylight savings two weekends ago, it's about time they switch the 4, 5, and 6 backdrop back to daytime instead of the evening shot.

I just caught a brand-new style for the topicals. Finally. Also, last night's 6 PM had another idiot interrupt a live shot; this time it was NJ Burkett at Jones Beach (it happened one or two weeks ago on First @ 4:00; there Kemberly Richardson was reporting from Union Square before some moron started spouting "Baba Booey, Baba Booey, Howard Stern's penis", like Peter did in Congress on Family Guy).

• 24994J pinned, unpinned, featured and unfeatured this topic