WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

Rana said they were starting at 4am Monday on the Sunday 11pm news, so either an old script, or the program guide is wrong. I can't see them making the change mid-week. Will have to check the DVR, since I certainly will not be up at 4am to check live!

Edited by MisterBill

2 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

TINY is on at 4 am this morning. 

As mentioned above, the program guides indicate the 4:30 start tomorrow, Tuesday after the MLK holiday.  We will see tomorrow if in fact it begins later.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:55 PM, Drew said:

I think its in line with the launch of the 7am edition of TINY on streaming that I saw in a report on TVNewsCheck. 

Today in New York at 7 a.m. — Watch Live Coverage From NBC 4 New York on the NBC New York app and streaming channel – NBC New York

I do not intend to be watching live :).

And their own schedule also shows the broadcast show starting at 4:30 starting tomorrow.

WATCH LIVE: News 4 New York - NBC New York

And the ad in the 11pm news says 4:30-7. Have yet to see anything advertising the streaming portion.

Edited by MisterBill

Did anyone watch the streaming to see if they ran it? I didn't see any mention of it when they signed off just before 7am. They did start at 4:30, but made no mention of the later start time. And amusingly, WABC started their news at 4am on Tuesday because of the weather.

2 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Did anyone watch the streaming to see if they ran it? I didn't see any mention of it when they signed off just before 7am. They did start at 4:30, but made no mention of the later start time. And amusingly, WABC started their news at 4am on Tuesday because of the weather.

I wasn’t able to catch it. Surprised they didn’t add “Today in New York @7am continues on our streaming platforms” after the “That’s what’s happening Today in New York” close. 

• Like 2

Did anyone notice this morning that TINY ended early at 10:11am and The Debrief with David Ushery came on from 10:13-10:30am? (It didn't say this on the channel guide.) 

It seems the Debrief was prerecorded and was more Politics focused. Similar to Pix on Politics and Up Close with Bill Ritter.

Seems this will be weekly for now. 

Edited by B2r4a6n

On 1/21/2024 at 12:17 PM, B2r4a6n said:

Did anyone notice this morning that TINY ended early at 10:11am and The Debrief with David Ushery came on from 10:13-10:30am? (It didn't say this on the channel guide.) 

It seems the Debrief was prerecorded and was more Politics focused. Similar to Pix on Politics and Up Close with Bill Ritter.

Seems this will be weekly for now. 

I always used to enjoy The Debrief where he'd go around the newsroom talking to different reporters about their stories. Is this the same format? I guess I'll record tomorrow morning's 10am TINY and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed last week, and today on the morning newscast, they are not using the large video display on the wall to the left of the news desk for the weather reports. They are using the chroma key wall somewhere else instead. They also are not using the smaller video display for traffic reports.
This is a still of the area they had been using.

vlcsnap-2024-03-04-13h57m57s342.thumb.png.8162cf1ac85d3fd8eb569c4eb6366046.png

Not only that, the station seems to have abandoned using the high shot (as above) that it promoted when they moved into 3B-East.

Also, it appears that each director and/or producer is shooting the weather as he/she sees fit - no established shot pattern.

Sometimes we see the weather presenter walk from the desk to the large video wall, other times the walk is covered by a graphic.

There are times the master shot of that large video wall is head-on, other times the camera is farther to the left.

Then there's a difference in now tight that shot it.  Sometimes I can see shoes and then there are shots from the calves up.

Who's running the store?

No one!

• Haha 3

The mets and traffic reporters probably simply thought the visual quality of presenting in front of a screen was poor and went back to the chroma key. You have to line up the map a certain way so a county line isn't confused with a screen seam (though here it's seamless) and they probably just did not think the presentation in front of a screen with blur rather than a key with known PQ worked long-term. Certainly no cause for concern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes, there is concern!

It's rank amateur that things keep changing depending upon who's in the control room.

After a newscast, that's when you experiment and settle upon a shooting style/pattern, you don't do it on the air.

This is market #1 and the Flagship station of the NBC Television Network!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

Yes, there is concern!

It's rank amateur that things keep changing depending upon who's in the control room.

After a newscast, that's when you experiment and settle upon a shooting style/pattern, you don't do it on the air.

This is market #1 and the Flagship station of the NBC Television Network!

I don’t mean to offend you, but this is a nothingburger. Changes happen on the fly during a newscast all the time. There are instances where stories are cut due to time constraints.

There’s absolutely nothing to get worked up about here when these are things that very few people will actually notice. So they shot the set from a different angle…big deal.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I refuse to accept the bar continually being lowered - especially when it comes to news.

Why should we accept standards/quality on the descent?

You might, I won't and never have in all of my years in broadcasting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

I’m a routine WNBC viewer. As a viewer I have not noticed these changes (I saw Matt walk to the weather display the other night) nor see a quality difference in the projection on my large UHD set.  I see no issue with changing it up sometimes.  Just like anchors don’t stand in exactly the same spot in front of the big video wall for each story in a newscast.  Although I got used to the angled view at the weather video wall (also used on other NBCU stations) I did notice a more straight on view which I said to myself, hmm - glad to see that.   Before throwing the station to the curb let’s see how things progress.  Technical issues do pop up on occasions.  None of this impacts what’s most important to viewers - content. 

• Like 3

That’s because it is hyperbole. The world is not frozen in time and there is not one single way to do things.  Sometimes things are done for variety, sometimes because something is temporarily unavailable, sometimes because in the judgement of those tasked with making the decision,

something wasn’t working. 

We’re not talking about an assembly line where doing things to precise specifications every time is a matter of quality and safety. It’s perfectly fine to draw from several options.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

That’s because it is hyperbole. The world is not frozen in time and there is not one single way to do things.  Sometimes things are done for variety, sometimes because something is temporarily unavailable, sometimes because in the judgement of those tasked with making the decision,

something wasn’t working. 

We’re not talking about an assembly line where doing things to precise specifications every time is a matter of quality and safety. It’s perfectly fine to draw from several options.

Given my work for our school's program, I 100% understand emphasize this! Some days you just have to improvise and work with what you have while still putting out the best product you can! Just because you didn't have that one wide shot or this newscast is a bit different then the one this time yesterday doesn't degrade the overall product at all! As people have said, it's things people barley notice anyway! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

I refuse to accept the bar continually being lowered - especially when it comes to news.

Why should we accept standards/quality on the descent?

I truly appreciate that you care about visual presentation standards. But I don't see the lack of a high camera or the shift to chromakey as the lowering of the bar for local news. 

Endless "local" newscasts filled with national stories from network news services, repurposed packages from ownership sister stations, and copious time spent on television talking about "what people are talking about online". Local newscasts with a shrinking amount of actual community news. That's lowering the bar for news. Not a few tweaks to how a newscast is shot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I just tuned into today’s 11 am news. Dave Price was at a weather video screen, shot from a slight angle, all looked fine on my TV.  So far.  Update, the full weather report at 11:20 was I'm guessing in front of a green screen, straight on shot.  Camera did hot follow him walking.  To viewers, no big deal, and mixing it up a bit is fine.  It utilizes all the capabilities of the studio.  

Edited by NowBergen