WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

1 hour ago, B2r4a6n said:

Has anyone noticed that WNBC has been using talent intros again... Not at the top of the newscast but before or after the first commercial break? 

Thanks for mentioning it. I was gonna ask about that, too. I was in New York over the weekend, and watched maybe 5 minutes, but that was enough to see the talent rejoin for the weekend morning news. It was shot on the new set, so they're new, in that regard, but I don't know if they had them before.

4 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Thanks for mentioning it. I was gonna ask about that, too. I was in New York over the weekend, and watched maybe 5 minutes, but that was enough to see the talent rejoin for the weekend morning news. It was shot on the new set, so they're new, in that regard, but I don't know if they had them before.

they have been doing it for TINY for a few months now. It recently expanded to other newscasts.  Seems to be at 11 and 40 min marker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Checking the schedule, https://www.nbc.com/schedule, I noticed there are no live morning newscasts on WNBC Christmas day.

The first newscast of the day is News 4 NY at 6. Is this new or a standard thing for them?

Checking the schedules for the other stations: WABC is 5-7am. WCBS is 6am. WPIX is 4-8am. WNYW is the regular 4:30-10am.

4 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Checking the schedule, https://www.nbc.com/schedule, I noticed there are no live morning newscasts on WNBC Christmas day.

The first newscast of the day is News 4 NY at 6. Is this new or a standard thing for them?

Checking the schedules for the other stations: WABC is 5-7am. WCBS is 6am. WPIX is 4-8am. WNYW is the regular 4:30-10am.

Possibly to give the AM crew Christmas Day off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYTV said:

Possibly to give the AM crew Christmas Day off. 

Probably a good decision. It's a historically slow news day, and they covered the puff pieces the other stations carried on their NY Live taped show.  I tuned into 2 and 7 for a bit and they too had limited news, the biggest covering the masses at St. Patricks.  Besides, probably a good portion of the viewers slept in or were busy opening presents, not paying attention to an early morning news show.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Surprising giving this is a major marker. 

I get what everyone is saying… but it was Christmas Morning… not many wake up and say let me turn on the news… if anything it would be background noise while you’re opening gifts… I don’t see this as a huge deal especially if it means the staff gets time off with their family. Also GDNY ran a taped special at 9, not a live newscast as expected 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

I get what everyone is saying… but it was Christmas Morning… not many wake up and say let me turn on the news… if anything it would be background noise while you’re opening gifts… I don’t see this as a huge deal especially if it means the staff gets time off with their family. Also GDNY ran a taped special at 9, not a live newscast as expected 

WNBC didn't even have anyone for the Today local news breaks at ~25 and ~55.

GDNY actually had their regular traffic reporter Ines Rosales in, which seemed really strange. Seems like they could do without a traffic report at 5am on Christmas Day when few people are watching. Maybe she gets paid extra for working holidays? Mike Woods (weather) was also in, but you need someone to do that.

Edited by MisterBill

I'm sure the bosses all looked at multiple factors from it being a historically slow news day for local stories (the wars are not local stories per se), low viewership, network programming and sports programming, they all made decisions on what to do today.  Both CBS2 and ABC7 morning shows lacked real news, mostly features, a weather update and for Ch. 7 reading emails. The 3 network morning shows were primarily taped with features with a short news and weather updates.  None of the big 3 offered a midday news.  NBC did air a NYLive at 11:30 which had stories you would find on other channels.  4 will do a live 6 and 11 pm news, plus network at 6:30.  CBS 2 did a half hour 5, 6 and 11.  ABC 7 will only have an 11:30ish pm news.  I'm sure all stations have crews available should a major local story develop that requires breaking into other programming.  This is just not a day people sit in front of the TV for news.  Even MSNBC and CNN did not have a full day's schedule using taped docs and shows.  Unless a major local story is not being covered, then it's really not a big deal.  There are lots of choices today to keep up with breaking news.  Tomorrow everyone will be.back to their normal schedules.

• Thanks 2

Watching News 4 at 6.  The first 10 minutes were holiday interest stories (meal programs, volunteering, the service at the cathedral, Rev. Al's holiday get together including the mayor, Gov. Hochul's Christmas message and that no celebrations in Nazareth (again)).  After the break, a couple of quick real news stories - a son killing his father in Boonton and subway changes, plus the lottery update for tonight's drawing (note all available on their webpage or app). Then a story on the 5 most popular holiday beverages, leading into the weather update.

Honestly, anyone not watching hardly missed anything.  I find it hard to believe Ch. 2 would be any different.  It's Christmas, and most stories are predictable.  No need to be concerned for not having a morning or midday news show, or that other stations skipped some broadcasts as well.  Just relax and enjoy this day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Two wars in full bore - death and destruction!

If you want to spend the holiday with your family, work somewhere else!

And 2,5,7 and 11 all had newscasts you could watch. 

if you want to watch the news watch somewhere else. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

14 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Good. 

For crying out loud, it’s Christmas. Skipping a morning newscast is perfectly fine. 

Agreed. Let's be fair. People work 300+ days out of the year. I see no issue in setting aside a few holidays for rest. We really need to drop our live to work attitude.

Let's be reasonable. One of seven stations slashed a news block designed for people waking up for work, where not many are going during America's biggest holiday. That's totally fine. On a day like Christmas, all you really need is morning news starting late, and 10/11pm. Previewing the day and end of the day wrap up. 

Christmas is typically a slow news day. In the internet age, skipping a newscast is nothing. Even Today and GMA usually go pre recorded on Christmas with a live headline insert. I'd say it's cool to see the world pause, even the always on TV institutions, for just ONE day.

16 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Two wars in full bore - death and destruction!

If you want to spend the holiday with your family, work somewhere else!

Empathy. The notion that because someone works in news they don't deserve to be with their family and should be at work on a day with below average ratings and dry content is overkill. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

And there is plenty of coverage of world events from a multitude of sources. Were there to be something truly monumental happen, it might be bare bones initially, but the major national and international news outlets would get the coverage going. There are correspondents out there filing for the web, and it stinks many of them are far from loved ones today. That doesn’t mean every news outfit needs to act like it’s just any old manic Monday. The regulars would be off, for the most part, and you’re not using fill-ins for no meaningful purpose. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the program guide on FiOS is wrong, they're dropping the 4-4:30am segment of Today in New York and will start at 4:30 like everyone else (except WPIX). It shows up for Monday (probably an error), but is showing Early Today after that.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1