WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

23 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

Better than the studio they use for the daily news.

Really?  This looks like a tiny virtual set up for now.  I have no problem IMO with how 3K looks, however, at this point they will not be making changes (including the desk which is what most don't like) since they will be moving to half of 3B sometime next year.  I suspect some of what WMAQ just did will filter into both the WNBC and Telemundo 47 sets that are relocating to 3B.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, anthonyz said:

It seems that WNBC dropped "Storm Tracker 4," the S-Band Radar in partnership with Rutgers University. There has been no on air mention or is listed as a radar on NBC O&O weather map sites.

Strange because their sister stations in Philadelphia also used it, so what would replace it.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:28 AM, NowBergen said:

Really?  This looks like a tiny virtual set up for now.  I have no problem IMO with how 3K looks, however, at this point they will not be making changes (including the desk which is what most don't like) since they will be moving to half of 3B sometime next year.  I suspect some of what WMAQ just did will filter into both the WNBC and Telemundo 47 sets that are relocating to 3B.

Why exactly did News 4 move from 3C to 3K?

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Why exactly did News 4 move from 3C to 3K?

Space! 3K is significantly larger than 3C. Studio 3C was never the largest of 30 Rock's studios, but it was made even smaller when MSNBC moved into 3A. Their new footprint in 3B will be slightly smaller than what they have in 3K but will be a good amount of space...and still significantly larger than 3C. 

• 2 weeks later...

Take it for what it's worth, Sibila Vargas posted a photo of her at WNBC with Janice Huff and a WNBC hairstylist the other day with the caption "When you reunite with your besties". The hairstylist then responded "welcome back to NY" and Sibila responded "happy to be back"

She had been doing a morning show in SC for a while and haven't seen any announcement of her leaving (and she is still listed on their site) but have not seen any SC posts for a couple of months now.  Will be interesting to see if she does end up back at WNBC again.

Edited by MisterBill

2 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Take it for what it's worth, Sibila Vargas posted a photo of her at WNBC with Janice Huff and a WNBC hairstylist the other day with the caption "When you reunite with your besties". The hairstylists responded "welcome back to NY" and Sibila responded "happy to be back"

She had been doing a morning show in SC for a while and haven't seen any announcement of her leaving (and she is still listed on their site) but have not seen any SC posts for a couple of months now.  Will be interesting to see if she does end up back at WNBC again.

Is Adam still solo at midday and 5pm?

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Vlad said:

She could just be visiting too.. 

Perhaps, but she did say "Happy to be back", and when Bruce Beck said "how did I miss this", Sibila responded "You're next! I'm coming for you Bubba!". So it doesn't seem like it was just some random visit.  She also liked a comment that said "please please tell me that you're coming back".

Time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

With KNBC, WMAQ, and WCAU all losing their top male anchors, at least some if not all to retirement buyouts, I’m surprised Chuck has not taken the opportunity to call it quits. He’s approaching 80, you’d think he’d want to enjoy retirement.

I think he's going for the world record as an anchor. That's why he's sticking around

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 4

On 12/9/2022 at 2:39 PM, TVNewsLover said:

With KNBC, WMAQ, and WCAU all losing their top male anchors, at least some if not all to retirement buyouts, I’m surprised Chuck has not taken the opportunity to call it quits. He’s approaching 80, you’d think he’d want to enjoy retirement.

Crazy, was thinking about this today. I was having a discussion with a family member — who retired early — and is very big on people of a certain age calling it quits to enjoy retirement. The way I see it, when you love and are passionate about a career, you aren't rushing to leave. All things considered, when one retires, what is there to do at home? Chuck aside, in the average citizen's case, retirement often means sitting at home, watching daytime television, and waiting for the eventual. Especially if their family doesn't live close and their friends aren't in good health or have passed, going to work is what gives many of the elderly the drive to keep going.

In Chuck's case, I'm sure he has decent wealth to travel and live well. We aren't privy to his personal life, so I'll guess that he really just loves his job. It pays well, isn't physically taxing, and simply requires him to sit and read a pre written script for about 22 minutes excluding commercials. Plus, Chuck's usually on about 3 out of 5 nights a week.  As long as he remains in good health and isn't demanding any dramatic salary increases, lets see how long he can go for. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There was a fire in 30 Rock this morning, sometime between 4:30 and 6:30am.  I recorded TINY at 6:30, and they started with the NBC Early Today show, but then Michael Gargiulo came back on and said that there had been a fire alarm that went off elsewhere in the building, and they had to be evacuated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/11/2022 at 2:22 PM, iron_lion said:

Crazy, was thinking about this today. I was having a discussion with a family member — who retired early — and is very big on people of a certain age calling it quits to enjoy retirement. The way I see it, when you love and are passionate about a career, you aren't rushing to leave. All things considered, when one retires, what is there to do at home? Chuck aside, in the average citizen's case, retirement often means sitting at home, watching daytime television, and waiting for the eventual. Especially if their family doesn't live close and their friends aren't in good health or have passed, going to work is what gives many of the elderly the drive to keep going.

In Chuck's case, I'm sure he has decent wealth to travel and live well. We aren't privy to his personal life, so I'll guess that he really just loves his job. It pays well, isn't physically taxing, and simply requires him to sit and read a pre written script for about 22 minutes excluding commercials. Plus, Chuck's usually on about 3 out of 5 nights a week.  As long as he remains in good health and isn't demanding any dramatic salary increases, lets see how long he can go for. 

They've already announced he took a buyout with four other on air personalities at KNBC.

10 hours ago, MisterBill said:

There was a fire in 30 Rock this morning, sometime between 4:30 and 6:30am.  I recorded TINY at 6:30, and they started with the NBC Early Today show, but then Michael Gargiulo came back on and said that there had been a fire alarm that went off elsewhere in the building, and they had to be evacuated.

That on-air disruption came happen 30 minutes into TINY.

Yup!

No one at the station cares about the wonderful tradition that has been part of New York broadcasting for

so many decades.

Last year, when Covid restrictions had already began to ease, WNBC chose not to produce the "Holdiay Song"

outdoors.  When I questioned management about this, the excuse was that the Prometheus Fountain area was

in the midst of alterations.  Surely, there were other outdoor locations that could have been used.  But no one

seemed to care!

Also, last year, was the first and only time that the music chosen was a "Christmas Song," not the longstanding

policy to only use "Holiday Songs."  When I pointed this out to management, the response was "Really?"

Ignorance and Apathy rule supreme at 30 Rock!

• Confused 1