WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

1 minute ago, Dk_mediaNYC said:

Sheba Russell is leaving Atlanta due to her daughter going to Philly college could she perhaps end back at NBC4?

The thought crossed my mind early this morning when I saw it.  Anyone remember the circumstances under which she left?  

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, Dk_mediaNYC said:

Sheba Russell is leaving Atlanta due to her daughter going to Philly college could she perhaps end back at NBC4?

She's better off working at WCAU before jumping back to WNBC. However, if she does come back where do you put her.. She could go back to her old slot at 5 and that's really it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, Dk_mediaNYC said:

On 6/9/2022 at 4:14 PM, SnellKrell said:

Try to replace Sue Simmons working with Chuck at 11 - lotsa luck!

Absolutely no chemistry!!!!!!

On 6/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, newscopter7 said:

Is there any reason to bring her back? Letting Sue go was a mistake. 

Sheba and Sibila were pretty decent anchors, and I though Sheba was good with Tom Llamas, but Sue Simmons didnt need to go. Sue should still be with Chuck weeknights at 6 (and maybe even 7) up to this day. Chuck has not had a stable partner to this day. Add to that anchor lineup these days  is pretty scattered with Natalie and David individually anchoring 14 different newscasts.

Out of curiosity, why was just Sue axed and not Chuck aswell? I remember Sue kept saying in her last broadcast "I hope to find employment elsewhere", which made it clear she did not want to go. 

Overall that was a major NY broadcasting blunder along with eighty-sixing Jim & Kaity on PIX weeknights.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Out of curiosity, why was just Sue axed and not Chuck aswell? I remember Sue kept saying in her last broadcast "I hope to find employment elsewhere", which made it clear she did not want to go. 

A lot of different stories and pieces of information out there in this. What we do know is she was initially offered a buyout in 2008 and refused. Sometime after that, she signed a new three year deal set to expire in 2012 and it was made clear then that it would be the last contract WNBC would offer her. She hoped WNBC would change their mind along the way but in the final year if the contract when no renewal talks were offered, she began telling close friends it was her last year at NBC. 

She was being paid upwards of $2 million a year (some estimates say $5 million) and, in her final year, was anchoring just one 30 minute broadcast. Some reports say she seemed to have lost interest in the job, started phoning it in and NBC execs were not thrilled. 

Other reports say it’s just a classic case of a woman not being able to age gracefully on television. As we can see, her coanchor of the same age is still with the station in a high profile role. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The difference I remember hearing, when compared to Chuck, is that Sue wasn't as willing to do more than just the 11, whether it was adding a show, filling in, or other programming. Chuck was willing, as he was still doing 2 shows.

• Like 2

Chuck and Sue were WNBC; and NYC Broadcast Legends. 

Ever since that duo was broken up; WNBC hasn’t been the same.

Some say it’s Karma, But they just haven’t found the right anchor teams with that unmatched chemistry that Chuck, Sue, Len, Al Roker later (Janice Huff) had that made them #1.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 24994J said:

The difference I remember hearing, when compared to Chuck, is that Sue wasn't as willing to do more than just the 11, whether it was adding a show, filling in, or other programming. Chuck was willing, as he was still doing 2 shows.

*IF that was the case, the top brass --or any job for that matter-- is gonna want more for their money than just 30 mins for $2 Mil. (recognizing that anchors do more off camera as well). Then again Chuck also does just 30 minues now.

Across markets, 6:00 seems to be the place where they plant vets who aren't ready to hang it up yet. Chuck Scarborough, Bill Ritter, Ernie Anastos (retired now), Dana Tyler, Jim Gardner in Philly, Bill Beutel back in the day.

I assumed 6 PM was the most critical afternoon newscast but it seems like 5 (and 10/11pm) is where stations put their "fresh, newer" faces these days. 

Edited by iron_lion

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Across markes, 6:00 seems to be the place where they plant vets who aren't ready to hang it up yet. Chuck Scarborough, Bill Ritter, Ernie Anastos (retired now), Dana Tyler, Jim Gardner in Philly, Bill Beutel back in the day.

Bill Ritter does the 5, 6 and 11pm. He actually added the 5pm to his schedule just 3 years ago when Diana Williams retired. He’s done the 11pm since 1999 and the 6pm since 2001.

Bill Beutel was a phased retirement plan. Stepped down from 11pm in 1999, stepped down from 6pm in 2001 and then fully retired in 2003. 

With Chuck, yes, it seems like they’re just letting him hang on to the 6pm until he’s ready to call it quits on his own terms. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Bill Ritter does the 5, 6 and 11pm. He actually added the 5pm to his schedule just 3 years ago when Diana Williams retired. He’s done the 11pm since 1999 and the 6pm since 2001.

Bill Beutel was a phased retirement plan. Stepped down from 11pm in 1999, stepped down from 6pm in 2001 and then fully retired in 2003. 

With Chuck, yes, it seems like they’re just letting him hang on to the 6pm until he’s ready to call it quits on his own terms. 

6:00 is an understandably preferable slot as it's not too early or late of a shift and it's the lead in to the evening news. 

I like how strong of a role Bill Ritter still plays (despite some of his on air commentary) given that once anchors reach a particular age their role slows down. I actually had no idea Ritter was was in his 70s until he started graying. 

To bring it back to WNBC, I hope to see Chuck at 6 for as long as possible!

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:26 AM, B2r4a6n said:

Here's her tweet. She says NBC News.

Dosen't say anything about WNBC. 

Looks like she’s a ‘NewsBreak’ anchor on MSNBC and probably NBC NewsNow as well… atleast she’s done overnight news updates on MS…. Is Milissa Rehberger still around?? She did these forever

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...