WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

He was the Gwinnett County reporter.  I suspect that first story was a puff piece to get his feet wet and wasn't suited for him.  Subsequent reports have been fine.  He doesn't seem to get lost while reporting like another NBC4 reporter does.

Which reporter is this? I hope it's not one of the other most recent pickups....

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

He doesn't seem to get lost while reporting like another NBC4 reporter does.

Which other reporter are you referring to?

From the reports I've seen, Chris Jose is a nice addition. Not sure of Melissa Colorado, wasn't impressed with her 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, NYTV said:

Per TVSpy, Melissa Colorado from sister station KNTV NBC Bay Area started at WNBC on April 18th

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/melissa-colorado-switches-nbc-owned-stations-now-reports-for-wnbc/240932/

She has been on the air for a couple of weeks now.  Not sure why but she didn't post her job change to Instagram until a couple of days ago, which got picked up by the media press.  A bit late, as it is stale news to anyone that actually watches.

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Violeta Yas from NBC10 and Telemundo 62 in Philly is doing weather this morning.

It was posted on this board on Feb. 17 that she joined WNBC.  Here is the copy of the stations PR release from then that was part of the post.  She is not a 100% on air meteorologist (like Steve Sosner in the past).  https://www.nbcnewyork.com/weather/weather-stories/violeta-yas-joins-storm-team-4/3559262/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else watch Saturday Today in New York? They really need to get someone to do the produce segment with Produce Pete. I used to love watching him, but the episodes he is doing from home are getting painful to watch. In this week's segment about broccolini, he repeated the same thing multiple times. He doesn't seem to have a script and just rambles. If he doesn't want to go back to the studio, then Pat Battle or Jen Maxfield should go over and record segments with him, since they both live in NJ and have worked well with him in the studio. Or they should just get him to have a script and stick to it.

Or, what about someone who knows and cares do some judicious editing of Pete's report????

Things have become so sloppy at the station - how long can you blame Covid.

Just take a look at the Bill's Books segment.  With all those books in his home, surely he

could be advised to use a few to prop up his laptop!

Then there was this year's holiday sing-along - a travesty!

Have you seen the new promos for Today in New York?

The station doesn't have a "new team" - it has a new traffic reporter who has joined the

team!

Ignorance and apathy are alive and well at 30 Rock!!!!

UGH!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Or, what about someone who knows and cares do some judicious editing of Pete's report????

If they edited it, it would have been much shorter than it needs to be. I wonder who is taping these, whether they send a crew or if a family member is recording it. He's doing it in his living room, it seems.

12 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Things have become so sloppy at the station - how long can you blame Covid.

Just take a look at the Bill's Books segment.  With all those books in his home, surely he

could be advised to use a few to prop up his laptop!

Then there was this year's holiday sing-along - a travesty!

Have you seen the new promos for Today in New York?

The station doesn't have a "new team" - it has a new traffic reporter who has joined the

team!

Ignorance and apathy are alive and well at 30 Rock!!!!

UGH!

Ch 4 is my go to station for NY and I consider them the next best after Eyewitness News, but it does feel discombobulated at times.

The transparent desk and topical video wall cheapens their on air look. Not to mention Studio 3K was already a downgrade from 3C. A studio upgrade really neeed to accompany their graphical update.

Their anchor lineups seem mixed up.(Not that the average viewer cares but..) on Today in New York, one day Michael or Darlene is solo, the next they're together. I would think if someone is off or on vacation WNBC would get a substitute to help tackle the 3 hour broadcast. The same with Weekend TINY.

David & Natalie anchoring 4, 7, and 11pm solo with no clear pattern of who anchors what newscast. I'm sure Chuck could handle an extra half hour so they could at least utilize him for 7pm as well.

Obviously there's no rule in stone that a local newscast must have dual anchors, but the chemistry between partners on-air really does lift a broadcast.

Edited by iron_lion

8 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

3K will be history for WNBC! 

The station along with WNJU/Telemundo will be moving to newly constructed studios

on the 2nd Floor of 30 Rock.  Not sure of the date for the move.

Early reports say 2023, after WNJU moves in

• Like 1

C5772E55-CE1B-441B-B363-2B929106D838.thumb.jpeg.bf06766454adc4e38e261c10cd93b304.jpegToday in New York did not start until 4:07 AM. 
There was no mention from the anchors of the delayed start. The lower thirds were not displaying and they were not using the graphics for the news intro and tease before the commercial breaks. The other graphs were working. At 4:35 AM they were able to get the lower thirds working. They’ve been using a two shot of the anchors at the desk.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, SnellKrell said:

3K will be history for WNBC! 

The station along with WNJU/Telemundo will be moving to newly constructed studios

on the 2nd Floor of 30 Rock.  Not sure of the date for the move.

What's your source that WNBC is leaving 3K? I've seen no public announcement that new "studios" are being built. According to Broadcasting & Cable, the two stations will share a "massive workspace extending from 49th Street to 50th Street" which will include a shared newsroom. But there was no mention of studios.

Since moving to Studio 3C in 2012 - and for decades earlier when WNBC used Studio 6B - the newsroom and station staff have been housed on a different floor than the studio. All of the television studios inside 30 Rock are two stories tall. So studio 3K starts on the 3rd floor and extends up to the 4th floor. Given there are four existing studios on the 3rd floor, it would be very difficult to find a physical footprint for a new studio that would start on the 2nd floor and extend up to the 3rd.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd like for them to get a new studio as I think the set in 3K is boring and doesn't fully utilize the space. And I certainly don't want to see them return to the days of a tiny conference room turned into a cramped "studio" space. (That's how Studio 7E was made) But I haven't seen anything to suggest a new WNBC studio is being built. Anyone have any info?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

NewscastStudio -

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2022/01/14/wnbc-wnju-combined-facility/#:~:text=NBC-owned WNBC and WNJU,New York City metro area.

and a friend who works for the station.

Those are my sources!!!!

That NewscastStudio article cites a single Broadcasting & Cable article, which suggests that both stations will move into a shared workspace. I assume both stations will get new sets when they do, but the B&C article doesn’t mention that. The “Potential Studios” section of the NS article doesn’t cite anything, so I’m assuming it’s speculation on the part of the author.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The point made about 2-story studios at 30 Rock by carolinanews4 no longer pertains to the way NBC designs television studios.

Let's not forget that that the studios in the building were originally radio studios.  They had the ability to accommodate a studio

audience and their control booths and client rooms were one flight above the studio floor.  In later years, TV control rooms were on

the studio floor level and client rooms were abolished.

Just look at New York's Studio 1A.  When it was first built, I wondered why NBC designed it with such a low ceiling?  But the network

preferred to use the second floor as an additional production/storage area.

And the recent design of Washington's Studio N1 on Capitol Street bears this out. N1's ceiling is only 14' high!

Productions from both 1A and N1 now use the lighting grid as a frequent element in shots - no longer a mistake.

And although I haven't been on the second floor for many years, I remember that the ceiling was quite high - not office height.

So, the second floor at 3o Rock should be able to accommodate modern television news studios.

My entire point here is that we don't know what is going to happen. The claim that "3K is history for WNBC" seems premature as the only thing we know is that the two stations are moving into a shared workspace. Shared workspaces does not equal new studios. Like I said, I hope WNBC does get a new set but there's no evidence at the moment to support that. Only speculation. 

I haven't forgotten that 30 Rock used to be filled with radio studios. But all of the radio studios that were capable of being transformed into television studios were converted over half a century ago. As for Studio 1A, it used to be a bank and the ceiling in that space, as is true for most ground floor retail space, is a story and half. In fact, the area over homebase didn't have a ceiling above it at all. You could look down from what is now the SPA into Studio 1A. 

But my aside about construction clearly became a distraction from the fact that neither B&C or NewscastStudio made any mention of WNBC getting a new studio. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

David and Natalie anchoring together tonight for what seems like the first time in weeks, if not months.

Not sure if anyone here noticed, but last Friday's 4:00am TINY went on seven minutes late. They kept showing station promos until then, and they did not acknowledge the delay when they went on the air.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:19 PM, iron_lion said:

on Today in New York, one day Michael or Darlene is solo, the next they're together. I would think if someone is off or on vacation WNBC would get a substitute to help tackle the 3 hour broadcast.

Sometimes when an anchor is off for the week, they have Jen Maxfield sub. Darlene was off Monday-Tuesday and returned this morning.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, IceManNYR said:

Sometimes when an anchor is off for the week, they have Jen Maxfield sub. Darlene was off Monday-Tuesday and returned this morning.

Jen probably wasn't available to sub in this week as she was on assignment for a 2 stories that appeared on TINY and News at 4/5 during the week and today (Friday).

• Like 1