WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

On 12/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, LinCruzChicagoNYLA said:

WNBC's holiday sing along is doing virtual again for the second year. This year's song will be "Feliz Navidad" and it is to tie-in to Illumination's animated film "Sing 2" due to release in theaters on December 22. This year's holiday sing along will marked the fifth year anniversary of hybrid Live Action/Animation promotional involvement between WNBC and Illumination. Take a look on their different comparisons from 2016 and this year:

The one from 2016 is filmed in the Rockefeller Center Tree, but they include scenes from promotional clip from the first film. Following the "Happy Holidays" line and Gunter skates over the 2008 "4 New York" logo, the voiceover tag says "...And catch "Sing", in theaters December 21st!"

The 2021 version of the promo begins with the characters from the second film followed by Pat, Gus, and Raphael says "Wait! Wait! Wait! What? What?" before the talent singing the same song. Towards the end of the promo, Jimmy Crystal (voiced by Bobby Cannavale) buzzed it, then Chuck Scarborough ends the promo (ala last year) says "Happy Holidays from NBC 4 New York (and Telemundo 47)..." followed by the voiceover tag "...And "Sing 2", Only in theaters December 22nd (Rated PG)!" This is the first time that the WNBC holiday sing along that to bear the MPA PG rating logo as like did to other movie tie-in promotions.

There's is an alternate version of the ad. the voiceover tag now says "...And "Sing 2", Only in theaters Wednesday (rated PG)!" which is used for this week only. Look at 0:09 mark for the video.

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

21 hours ago, NYNews said:

Would this be considered pandering to a demographic that they know is generating more viewership than on the English stations?

They often operate as one station.  Top brass are the same.  Weather, investigative reporting and consumer complaint reporting has been promoted as both stations.  

6 hours ago, MisterBill said:

She's doing  the Olympics for NBC, so I guess it may be related. 

I'm guessing she was working for NBCSN. If that is the case, the channel shuts down next week.    Although some sports programming is moving to USA, others to Peacock, I would guess some are being redeployed elsewhere within NBCU.  The question becomes, will this be a third person in sports, or, is John Chandler moving to full time news reporting?

16 hours ago, NowBergen said:

I'm guessing she was working for NBCSN. If that ihat is the case, the channel shuts down next week.    Although some sports programming is moving to USA, others to Peacock, I would guess some are being redeployed elsewhere within NBCU.  The question becomes, will this be a third person in sports, or, is John Chandler moving to full time news reporting?

I did not see the story that was referenced, so I don't know exactly what it said. But from her IG profile, it seems like she is mostly a CNN person, not NBCSN. which would likely have been freelance.

Olympic and Paralympic host, CNN Sports/HLN/AKC contributor. Always game for good story & ☕📺:@cnn @cnnsport @hln_be @americankennelclub @nbcolympics

Personally, I'm going to wait for something more definitive before wondering about people moving around. I have never been a big Bruce Beck fan, despite all of his awards. I was always a big Len Berman fan, and I actually like John Chandler. We'll have to see what changes, if anything.

Edited by MisterBill

2 hours ago, MisterBill said:

I did not see the story that was referenced, so I don't know exactly what it said. But from her IG profile, it seems like she is mostly a CNN person, not NBCSN. which would likely have been freelance.

I should have saved a screen shot. She said she looked forward to working with Bruce and John.

I noticed on the channel guide this Friday that since Miley Cyrus' New Years Eve show will be uninterrupted from 10:30pm-12:30am...

News 4 NY will go on at 10pm. I've never seen that before. I'm assuming most if not all NBC stations are doing this?  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, B2r4a6n said:

I noticed on the channel guide this Friday that since Miley Cyrus' New Years Eve show will be uninterrupted from 10:30pm-12:30am...

News 4 NY will go on at 10pm. I've never seen that before. I'm assuming most if not all NBC stations are doing this?  

Yeah my nbc station is 10-1030

• Like 1

Did WNBC actually announce she was permanent vs speculation on this board?   She is not on their website biographies. It’s also possible she had a pre-committed vacation that the station honored - not unusual with mid career new hires. 

7 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Did WNBC actually announce she was permanent vs speculation on this board?   She is not on their website biographies. It’s also possible she had a pre-committed vacation that the station honored - not unusual with mid career new hires. 

No, was never announced as the replacement. And she hasn't changed anything online. Maybe just an extended trial or simply a fill in when Emily wasn't available. But she hasn't been announced as the replacement, either. Alex Lee is changing jobs, so maybe it's going to be her.

I don't know the answer the the question, but don't go by WNBC's website when it

comes to station personnel.

It's been a joke for years!

First, try to find the pictures and bios of the on-air staff.

It's like playing "Were's Waldo?"  They are buried and unless you know how

to find them, it's a mission impossible.

Other stations proudly have easily found links to "Meet the Team."

This ongoing problem was heightened when the station continued to

list a reporter, with his picture and bio for some 18 months after he had

died.  I had to send an email to the then GM to have the page updated.

23 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Just learned that Chris Cimino will be joining WPIX doing morning weather and lifestyle reporting.

Welcome back!

You've been sorely missed.

First that's shocking news that Chris Cimino is coming back to NYC airwaves and apparently down the block to 42nd and 2nd..

Second: I notice this could only be today only that there is News 4 at 12noon.  However, the broadcast was only for 10 minutes.

Lastly: As for the traffic replacement for Lauren Scala.  There hasn't been a report as for the official replacement. Unless it is mentioned via WNBC social pages (Sometimes where announcements are made) or from the actual anchor it self. I wouldn't rely on WNBC's website.

4 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

First that's shocking news that Chris Cimino is coming back to NYC airwaves and apparently down the block to 42nd and 2nd..

Not sure what your reference to "down the block" is, since WNBC is at 50th and 6th, so nowhere near WPIX.

Edited by MisterBill