WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

Personally, I think traffic reports on television are useless and a waste of time. Traffic can change dramatically from the time you see it until the time you hit the road. Other than a major accident, road closure or detour that will shut things down for hours, TV traffic is like trying to predict tomorrow’s lottery numbers.

With the proliferation of truly relevant traffic apps, the availability of constant traffic updates on New York’s multiple news radio stations, and even a SiriusXM New York traffic channel, TV traffic is nothing more than window dressing.

Anybody who bases their commuting decisions on TV traffic reports doesn’t really want to get where they’re going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MetroCity said:

Personally, I think traffic reports on television are useless and a waste of time. Traffic can change dramatically from the time you see it until the time you hit the road. Other than a major accident, road closure or detour that will shut things down for hours, TV traffic is like trying to predict tomorrow’s lottery numbers.

With the proliferation of truly relevant traffic apps, the availability of constant traffic updates on New York’s multiple news radio stations, and even a SiriusXM New York traffic channel, TV traffic is nothing more than window dressing.

Anybody who bases their commuting decisions on TV traffic reports doesn’t really want to get where they’re going.

I get your point. I've always wondered if drivers really pay attention to traffic reports on tv, especially in this digital age.

But then I also question the same for tv weather reports. Outside of big storms like blizzards and hurricanes, does the average viewer take the time to sit down and watch the extended forecast or do they just google "7 day forecast"? But weather reports definitely top traffic updates in terms of audience relevance, IMO.

Edited by iron_lion

I think weather reports are much more relevant to people’s everyday lives for sure. I once thought it was unconventional to not have traffic reports but it is rather pointless especially in a place like NYC where there are millions of traffic patterns which makes traffic reports somewhat ineffective.

7 hours ago, MetroCity said:

I have been saying this for years. Unless there's a major incident, most traffic news you get from TV will be outdated by the time it's relevant to you. I'm fine not having dedicated traffic reports on TV. 

On 11/20/2021 at 10:33 AM, Spintech33 said:

I get it traffic reporters are hard to find. But, for New York traffic you need a seasoned veteran reporter who knows the layout of NYC traffic.

Are they REALLY that hard to find? What sort of skills are required other than knowing how to pronounce Van Wyck and Koscuiuszko and knowing the basic roads and how to point to a map?  As for a seasoned veteran reporter, Alex Denis and Marissa Torres came from out of town and did fine jobs on weather and 2 and 11, and I'm sure there are other examples. And Natalie Duddridge is from Canada and was doing fine on 2 before they dropped traffic when Covid hit and most people stopped commuting. 

9 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I get your point. I've always wondered if drivers really pay attention to traffic reports on tv, especially in this digital age.

But then I also question the same for tv weather reports. Outside of big storms like blizzards and hurricanes, does the average viewer take the time to sit down and watch the extended forecast or do they just google "7 day forecast"? But weather reports definitely top traffic updates in terms of audience relevance, IMO.

Most people can just use Google Maps or Waze to direct them around traffic problems, and that information will be much more current than your TV traffic report.

As for weather reports, while the big name meteorologists go a great job, the fact that someone like Jill Nicolini can do a credible job on WPIX shows that you may not really need to have someone skilled in meteorology to do them all the time. Nothing against Jill, I just don't think that she has much knowledge about weather.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1

I've found the quick full-screen graphics showing the status of the subway and regional rail lines to be far more effective. Even for people out in Long Island and NJ who work in the city, I'd hazard that most commutes are via public transit. 

2 hours ago, B2r4a6n said:

Just saw Adelle Caballero, who was a traffic reporter on NY1,  do a traffic report during a Today Show cut in this morning...Wonder if she will be the new traffic reporter when Lauren leaves? 

I would think it is up to Emily West to decide if she wants the full time job considering she is the often used sub today.  Back several years, all the traffic reporters used to work for the former Shadow Traffic as well, which made substitutes and replacements easy.  I'm not sure if that is still the case other than stations subscribing to the current vendors for traffic information in the entire tri-state region.

Lauren Scala’s last traffic report was this morning. She was very emotional. I mean for someone who’s been doing this for 10 years  the emotions are really gonna be there.  However, congratulations to her and that she’s still apart of the WNBC family and still reporting and doing things with NY live and TINY. So, all is not lost with Lauren. 

I wonder if WNBC has found her replacement as of yet.  Hopefully, it is the old traffic reporter from spectrum news (NY1). 

• Like 1

WNBC's holiday sing along is doing virtual again for the second year. This year's song will be "Feliz Navidad" and it is to tie-in to Illumination's animated film "Sing 2" due to release in theaters on December 22. This year's holiday sing along will marked the fifth year anniversary of hybrid Live Action/Animation promotional involvement between WNBC and Illumination. Take a look on their different comparisons from 2016 and this year:

The one from 2016 is filmed in the Rockefeller Center Tree, but they include scenes from promotional clip from the first film. Following the "Happy Holidays" line and Gunter skates over the 2008 "4 New York" logo, the voiceover tag says "...And catch "Sing", in theaters December 21st!"

The 2021 version of the promo begins with the characters from the second film followed by Pat, Gus, and Raphael says "Wait! Wait! Wait! What? What?" before the talent singing the same song. Towards the end of the promo, Jimmy Crystal (voiced by Bobby Cannavale) buzzed it, then Chuck Scarborough ends the promo (ala last year) says "Happy Holidays from NBC 4 New York (and Telemundo 47)..." followed by the voiceover tag "...And "Sing 2", Only in theaters December 22nd (Rated PG)!" This is the first time that the WNBC holiday sing along that to bear the MPA PG rating logo as like did to other movie tie-in promotions.

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

The area in front of Prometheus was still under construction when the station wanted to shoot.

Universal movie tie-in leveraged by corporate management.

As far as I can remember, this is the first time the mention of "Christmas" was part of the lyrics used.

Previously, management kept the songs "neutral."

5 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Jen Maxfiled is in all week for Darlene. Adelle Caballero did traffic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXbIzz_rnwS/

Given the comments on that post, it appears that she is the replacement. I did not watch, did they welcome her? I noticed she was also there one day last month (and mentioned above) and had posted a picture then. Maybe that was her tryout.

Edited by MisterBill