WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

9 hours ago, MisterBill said:

And it sucks whenever it happens (even worse when they say "wait we have another game to switch to!"). Sorry for the rant.

Oh boohoo. During football season you have to work an hour or two overtime, one or two nights a week.

If all you want is an eight hour, no overtime day, then Jiffy Lube or CitiBank are probably hiring. Here’s an idea: the next time you see a nurse or first responder on the street or in the supermarket, stop them and tell them your horrible overtime tale of woe.

Edited by MetroCity
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, MetroCity said:

Oh boohoo. During football season you have to work an hour or two overtime, one or two nights a week.

If all you want is an eight hour, no overtime day, then Jiffy Lube or CitiBank are probably hiring. Here’s an idea: the next time you see a nurse or first responder on the street or in the supermarket, stop them and tell them your horrible overtime tale of woe.

Actually, I am not concerned about them working overtime (well I guess it's a pain) and you completely missed the point of my post/rant (which I guess I had not mentioned) I hate that they run late because it screws up the shows that follow it, and my DVR recording of those shows. If the games are never going to end on time, they should just schedule additional time so there is at least a chance of the following shows starting on time.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Actually, I am not concerned about them working overtime (well I guess it's a pain) and you completely missed the point of my post/rant (which I guess I had not mentioned) I hate that they run late because it screws up the shows that follow it, and my DVR recording of those shows. If the games are never going to end on time, they should just schedule additional time so there is at least a chance of the following shows starting on time.

WNBC 6 pm news will be late tonight due to Notre Dame football overage.  Big deal.  It happens this time of year.  What you should do if a show is so important, is change your DVR settings to go an extra 30 minutes.  It's an easy fix.  Or stream the show the next day on Hulu, Peacock, WB or whatever.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I often feel bad for late night news when the NFL broadcast pushes the news into the next morning but who is going to complain about extra football especially if it’s a particularly good game (as one might be if it’s ending an hour late)?

Last night's game is an example of a very tight game which could of went into overtime.  It's good business for the NFL and for the O&O's that carry the game.  I could see the problem why especially for east coast news that news may go into 1AM depending on the NBC O&O.  NBC might need to an abbreviated news cast to supplement for the halftime show.

• 2 weeks later...

Switched over to sister station Telemundo 47 for a bit and I must say their studio looks better than WNBC's. WNJU's set gives a terrace with a view kind of feel. I like that Ch 47's video wall occupies the entire shot, and you don't see the frames or wooden bottoms like Ch 4's set.

image.jpeg.c9b3bc0564e0af07ed2d9bb94b41894a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49066f5203a16956e85086bc7e56f69b.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:52 PM, iron_lion said:

Switched over to sister station Telemundo 47 for a bit and I must say their studio looks better than WNBC's. WNJU's set gives a terrace with a view kind of feel. I like that Ch 47's video wall occupies the entire shot, and you don't see the frames or wooden bottoms like Ch 4's set.

I think they both look nice, but I've decided that backgrounds that are just big skyline photos are boring. Putting a photo in a monitor does not take much effort. I prefer seeing some graphical design and physical set pieces.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I think they both look nice, but I've decided that backgrounds that are just big skyline photos are boring. Putting a photo in a monitor does not take much effort. I prefer seeing some graphical design and physical set pieces.

My thoughts exactly. Some furniture, some trinkets, maybe a plant or too are my preference over soely video walls and a barren set.  Today's studio 1a being the best example of this. If they decide to go the video wall route however, it looks awkward to me when we can see the monitor frames on a skyline shot rather than the skyline occupying the whole backdrop.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ref1997 said:

Seems like the double anchor arrangement is permanent. Yesterday's 5PM news have Adam Kuperstein and Gilma Avalos anchoring too... Gilma is still anchoring the 6PM and 11PM every weekend too.

It only seems a couple of days a week.  Today (Friday) Adam is alone as Gilma cohosted the 4.

I don't understand why WNBC can't just name someone to anchor with Adam at 11am and 5pm 7 days a week. Also, why are they rotating David and Natalie at 7pm? David is anchoring 7pm, Monday-Tuesday and Natalie, Wednesday -Friday. This also makes no sense. The original press release made it sound like both were anchoring together. 

• Like 1

It probably comes down to budget and the anchor's existing contracts, given that 7pm is an additional workload. They're familiar faces to viewers, I don't really give it a second thought honestly.

Edited by DMA

It's just odd! One morning Michel or Darlene are anchoring alone with no subsititute, on 3 hour broadcast.

NBC 4 and Fox 5 are having some odd anchor situations at the moment. WCBS and WABC have been consistent for the most part with anchor arrangements, and making sure each broadcast has two hosts. 

Simplest arrangement Mon-Fri

Darlene & Michael 4-7am

Adam & Gilma at 11 and 4

David & Natalie at 5 & 11

Chuck & (anchor X) at 6&7

Edited by iron_lion

21 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

It's just odd! One morning Michel or Darlene are anchoring alone with no subsititute, on 3 hour broadcast.

NBC 4 and Fox 5 are having some odd anchor situations at the moment. WCBS and WABC have been consistent for the most part with anchor arrangements, and making sure each broadcast has two hosts. 

Do you know if the anchors are complaining when they are solo?  I'm sure if they were (and it would not be public), something would happen.  Note that one of the usual substitute anchors is out on family leave, and I'm sure upon return is not going to want to do early mornings.  From a viewer perspective, a short intro is fine, who the anchor is is fine as long as the news is provided in a clear and detailed manner free from mispronunciations and ongoing mistakes.  There is no law of having to have two anchors, nor is there a law that one has to male, one has to be female and any other permutation.  At the end of the day, it is about how the newscasts are received by most viewers and making them as impactful as possible.  If solo anchors dragged down the ratings, you would see a change.

• Like 2

Honestly, I see no complaints to why these anchors are working solo. Especially TINY. Last I checked these anchors are humans as we are and they are entitled to time off. Last week was one example that Michael had a few days off and Darlene filled in and vice versa. However,  if both are given the day off it’s either Jen Maxfield or Adam Kuperstein filling in early
AM’s.  

I don’t think WNBC has an anchor issue. It’s more or less that the anchors are trying to use their vacation days.  As far as what happens after 11AM is still a mystery but one thing is for sure they are getting the job done at WNBC. As one mentioned earlier if the anchors are complaining (it’s not gonna be public)  but whatever the overall issue is the job is getting done and we gotta look at that versus anchor pairings. 

Edited by Spintech33
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Lauren Scala (@laurenscala) • Instagram photos and videos

After over a decade as the Traffic Anchor on Today in NY, I’m hanging up my hat! Retiring from reporting on the AM commute. 🚦🚧🚚🚙🥳

This was my choice and it was a hard one because I love my Today in NY family so much! Not seeing them everyday will be the hardest part, but it’s time to get more sleep and embark on some new adventures.

The great news is I will still be part of the @nbcnewyork extended family. You will still see me popping up on Today in NY and New York Live sharing stories about all the things that make New York so special. (NJ and CT too)!

So consider this my two weeks notice commuters. My last day reporting traffic will be 12/3. Much love to you all and a much sappier post to come on my last day. ❤️

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, nynewslover said:

Interesting. I wonder if they’ll replace her or if they’ll take the WCBS route and have the anchors do traffic reports 

Emily West will more likely become the new full time traffic reporter. I hope get she gets the gig. She blends very well with the team while Lauren is out. (Congratulations to Lauren).

Personally, I don't like the WCBS format of having anchors do the traffic report. WABC with the News at 4 does a brief report at 4:15 and that should only be the standard if anchors were to do traffic reports.  I get it traffic reporters are hard to find. But, for New York traffic you need a seasoned veteran reporter who knows the layout of NYC traffic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1