WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Natalie anchoring solo at 12am. Figured they wouldn’t be doing solo anchor shifts during the Olympics.

Perhaps that’s the future of WNBC having people anchor newscasts alone. Viewership isn’t what it’s supposed to be and the days of views getting used to teams like Chuck, Sue, Janice and Len I think are basically over. I don’t think you need two anchors at 11pm as it’s only a 35 minute newscast. 

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, mountainave said:

Phil Lipof, who'd be freelance reporting for WNBC, has joined ABC News.

Yeah, I didn't understand the WNBC gig unless his family decided to move back to NY and that was the best he could get. Glad he got something better.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:16 AM, Liugrad2020 said:

I don’t think you need two anchors at 11pm as it’s only a 35 minute newscast. 

As much as I see what you're saying, a dual anchor team feels stronger to me on a local newscast.

Edited by iron_lion

50 minutes ago, NYNews said:

Is David Ushery still with WNBC? Haven't seen him in a while. Was surprised to see him off during the Olympics, and there doesn't seem to be any mention that's he's off. 

The clips I see on YouTube don’t show Chuck or any mention of him during the 6pm newscast. I am out of NY at the moment so I can’t see the whole newscast.

51 minutes ago, NYNews said:

Is David Ushery still with WNBC? Haven't seen him in a while. Was surprised to see him off during the Olympics, and there doesn't seem to be any mention that's he's off. 

As for David I have no clue what the story is. I’ll check his social media.

5 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

The clips I see on YouTube don’t show Chuck or any mention of him during the 6pm newscast. I am out of NY at the moment so I can’t see the whole newscast.

As for David I have no clue what the story is. I’ll check his social media.

Last night, Natalie specific said Chuck had the night off.  With 45+ years of service, he has a lot of vacation time now.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Last night, Natalie specific said Chuck had the night off.  With 45+ years of service, he has a lot of vacation time now.  

I guess she only mentions that the times I don’t get a chance to get it out. As for David like I said there hasn’t been any social media posts by him since the end of May.

You're trying to find logic and taste from a management that after heavily promoting its

new 7 p.m., in-depth, news cuts it back to 15 minutes on Fridays.  And its missing 15

minutes is given over to the inane New York Live.

And let's not forget the management that allowed Matt Brickman to dress as if he were

a circus clown on an Olympic Zone appearance!

UGH!!!!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Adam mentions that David is off.

they were running promos for the 11 pm news with David this morning.  People are allowed to be on vacation, or have medical issues without the need to publicize it all over social media. 

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

How can they think that looks presentable at all? Jfc

I think it is up to what viewers think, not people on this board.  Just like Lester Holt now standing throughout his newscast, it allows better use of the video boards.  it does not bother me.  But my vote does not count.  Only NBC management and their audience survey teams know how the bulk of their viewers feel.  If the anchors really had an issue, I'm sure they would bring it up and see if something can be accommodated.

• Thanks 3

The desk standing looks bad, the solo anchoring isn’t the best, the “COVID” desk looks very mediocre especially because we know WNBC is capable of much more based on studio 6B and earlier sets.

To their credit News 4 is the second best news team in the market after Eyewitness News they just have a few kinks when it comes to their anchor rotations and visual presentation.

Edited by iron_lion

3 hours ago, NowBergen said:

they were running promos for the 11 pm news with David this morning.  People are allowed to be on vacation, or have medical issues without the need to publicize it all over social media. 

I think it is up to what viewers think, not people on this board.  Just like Lester Holt now standing throughout his newscast, it allows better use of the video boards.  it does not bother me.  But my vote does not count.  Only NBC management and their audience survey teams know how the bulk of their viewers feel.  If the anchors really had an issue, I'm sure they would bring it up and see if something can be accommodated.

I see your point although I really don’t think the audience thinks it’s best to have a solo anchor at 5pm but co-anchors at 6 and 11pm. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

The desk standing looks bad, the solo anchoring isn’t the best, the “COVID” desk looks very mediocre especially because we know WNBC is capable of much more based on studio 6B and earlier sets.

To their credit News 4 is the second best news team in the market after Eyewitness News they just have a few kinks when it comes to their anchor rotations and visual presentation.

I guess you’re not a fan of WCBS. What do you think WNBC can do to improve their anchor rotation? 

3 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I guess you’re not a fan of WCBS. What do you think WNBC can do to improve their anchor rotation? 

Add another female anchor to cover 5 and 7pm is all they need to ensure that all newscasts from 4-11 have an anchor duo. With this method, each individual anchor would have a relatively even distribution across newscasts. That way (for example) Natalie wouldn't have to be on at 4,6,7 and 11.

As for CBS 2,  I think the issue is the newscasts feel a bit corporate at times rather than genuinely New York. It’s hard to explain but I see CBS o&o stations are struggling in other big markets too, so there is that factor about there is newscast that doesn’t beat out the competition.

Edited by iron_lion

27 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Add another female anchor to cover 5 and 7pm is all they need to ensure that all newscasts from 4-11 have an anchor duo. With this method, each individual anchor would have a relatively even distribution across newscasts. That way (for example) Natalie wouldn't have to be on at 4,6,7 and 11.

As for CBS 2,  I think the issue is the newscasts feel a bit corporate at times rather than genuinely New York. It’s hard to explain but I see CBS o&o stations are struggling in other big markets too, so there is that factor about there is newscast that doesn’t beat out the competition.

They can promote one of their weekend anchors. I hear you about CBS 2.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:19 AM, 24994J said:

Get them chairs, dammit. They look ridiculous, side-by-side.

image.thumb.png.639b42a60c6b03360d2804b3b5b72064.png

This is bad production 101. How can anyone working in market #1 see this and think it's a good look? If you don't want her standing on a box because you don't want to see the box, either give them stools or cover the desk. The height differential also gives off a power disparity with the man towering over the woman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liugrad2020 said:

So I guess he didn’t leave WNBC after all.

Who said he did?  Anchors are humans.  They are allowed vacations.  They allowed sick days.  And they are allowed to keep their private lives private.  Throughout this time News4 was showing promos with David for the 11 pm show.

21 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

This is bad production 101. How can anyone working in market #1 see this and think it's a good look? If you don't want her standing on a box because you don't want to see the box, either give them stools or cover the desk. The height differential also gives off a power disparity with the man towering over the woman.

Looks like real life to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Who said he did?  Anchors are humans.  They are allowed vacations.  They allowed sick days.  And they are allowed to keep their private lives private.  Throughout this time News4 was showing promos with David for the 11 pm show.

Looks like real life to me.

Some people overreact too much on these things. It's the middle of August. It makes sense that a senior anchor takes some time off. Not everybody is watching the news in the summer (COVID or no COVID) so stations will grant them break. People want to go outside. David will be back full time in the fall, I guarantee it...

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 8