WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

17 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

74B46780-2100-4E1C-BE3B-F2A719E3C759.thumb.jpeg.51e51f2c3be6b2ce7fac4d124583828c.jpeg
Why are they not formatting their election lower third to match the size of their regular lower third?

Many of the NBC O&Os have done something like this since N launched in 2016. My only guess is that Artworks (I think they are called something else now) allows the option for affiliates to use the graphics for the "Decision" graphics. But again, why they don't have a format specifically for N for all the O&Os I still don't understand.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, anthonyz said:

Many of the NBC O&Os have done something like this since N launched in 2016. My only guess is that Artworks (I think they are called something else now) allows the option for affiliates to use the graphics for the "Decision" graphics. But again, why they don't have a format specifically for N for all the O&Os I still don't understand.

It's now NBC Arthouse.

On 11/4/2020 at 4:10 AM, IceManNYR said:

74B46780-2100-4E1C-BE3B-F2A719E3C759.thumb.jpeg.51e51f2c3be6b2ce7fac4d124583828c.jpeg
Why are they not formatting their election lower third to match the size of their regular lower third?

He boxes like that were some odd design quirk. They do something similar when it comes to meteorologists names. Why? I do not know.

55 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

He boxes like that were some odd design quirk. They do something similar when it comes to meteorologists names. Why? I do not know.

I can tell you the most likely scenario - a producer somewhere felt it "needed to be special"! That is how stations go off-brand 99.9% of the time. 

(The other .1%, well actually considerably larger than that, is when sales sells something and doesn't let the creative team know so now we need to shoehorn a massive heating and air company logo into a 7-day forecast banner or ticker design... and you won't even be able to make it out... but hey, it's added value so... 🤷‍♂️)

• Like 3

On 11/13/2020 at 11:13 PM, B2r4a6n said:

I've noticed for the last 5-6 weeks that Adam Kuperstein has been off on Fridays and Gilma Avalos has been filling in while Adam still co anchors with Gilma on Saturdays. I wonder what the long term plan is. 

Adam said he’s going to be on Sat nights while there are new SNL episodes.

• 3 weeks later...

This year, WNBC is doing the holiday sing along, but this time will be all virtual and socially distant due to the COVID pandemic. it will be for the first time that the holiday sing along promo will be not to be filmed in the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas Tree unlike in the previous years, the last Holiday Sing Along filmed next to the tree was in 2018, it is to tie-in with the movie "The Grinch". Their song picked by the station for this year is "Frosty the Snowman". Celebrity cameos also made it in the promo including Kelly Clarkson from "The Kelly Clarkson Show" (which is produced and distributed by WNBC's corporate sister NBCU Syndication Studios) and the team from "The Today Show". Chuck Scarborough ends the promo with the words "Happy Holidays from NBC 4 New York (and Telemundo 47)." 

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

Once again, the station has lost its way!

The inclusion of network and syndication personalities is not what the Channel 4 "Sing-A-Long" is all about.

It's local!!!!!!

A number of years ago, they strayed and keyed-in an animated character that "just so happened" to be the

star of a Universal Christmas movie!

When I questioned management about commercializing this New York tradition, I was told that it had

nothing to do with promoting a Universal movie.

When hearing that, I offered to sell the exec a bridge connecting lower Manhattan to another borough.

• Confused 5

On 12/7/2020 at 8:11 AM, SnellKrell said:

The inclusion of network and syndication personalities is not what the Channel 4 "Sing-A-Long" is all about.

It's local!!!!!!

A number of years ago, they strayed and keyed-in an animated character that "just so happened" to be the

When I questioned management about commercializing this New York tradition, I was told that it had

When hearing that, I offered to sell the exec a bridge connecting lower Manhattan to another borough.

At least WNBC is actually doing something this year as opposed to scraping it for the year

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

And, if you can't do it right, don't do it!

Hard to identify faces - it doesn't work.

If all you have to worry is a TV stations Christmas commercial after the year that we’ve had you are one lucky person.

They are clearly trying to boost some spirits and keep a tradition going while keeping their staff safe. Jeez.  

• Like 6

On 12/7/2020 at 8:11 AM, SnellKrell said:

It's local!!!!!!

I would think the station’s executive team would be the ones to determine what the station’s holiday promo is all about, not you. 

Traditions are nice, but they can also evolve. Doing something one way just because it’s always been done that way is the worst way to do anything. 

Hoping your holidays are happier than The Grinch that appeared in a previous year’s WNBC holiday promo. 

• Like 4