WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

9 hours ago, newsdude said:

FYI. Phil will be freelance reporting. Not anchoring. 

Where’d you get this info from? His tweet clearly say he’s joining WNBC, not freelancing. And I’ve seen nothing that says it will only be reporting, and not anchoring too.

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, B2r4a6n said:

Adam Kuperstein is anchoring with Gilma Avalos tonight.

7 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

That's surprising!!!!!

Really strange.  Had fully expected Gilma to be flying solo.

I would assume they brought him in with all the news surrounding Trump going on they probably wanted 2. I was surprised to see 7 went with Sandra solo at 11.. did they have an earlier newscast? I wasn’t around to see. 

7 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Where’d you get this info from? His tweet clearly say he’s joining WNBC, not freelancing. And I’ve seen nothing that says it will only be reporting, and not anchoring too.

Also, Part of Phil's twitter bio says..."News Anchor/Reporter, working at WNBC in NYC.'

10 minutes ago, B2r4a6n said:

Also, Part of Phil's twitter bio says..."News Anchor/Reporter, working at WNBC in NYC.'

Looks like he’s reporting only, at least to start:

Edited by bc485

14 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Deep sources. And just because someone is joining does meant they are automatIcally staff off the bat. Trust me on this. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, IceManNYR said:

Why not put the news desk back in the studio?

WNBC-DT_20201005_0359.jpg

I assume it's because of the platform of the desk is not on stage right. Notice below that Janice is standing while Bruce is sitting.

Screen-Shot-2016-10-09-at-5.27.11-PM.jpg

• Like 1

According to Phil Lipof's Twitter page, today is to be his first at WNBC.

Unfortunately, I also noticed on the pages that he inexplicably makes political comments!

How wrong and unprofessional.

His role at WNBC, and I'm sure as an anchor at two Boston stations, is not to editorialize,

just to report the news not to express his personal feelings.

He couches the comments with "POLITICS ASIDE" - that doesn't ameliorate his lack of

judgment.

Professionals are expected to keep their political thoughts to themselves  In fact,

many won't even vote!

Once again, the misuse of Social Media can be the bane of broadcast "journalists."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 6:39 AM, SnellKrell said:

According to Phil Lipof's Twitter page, today is to be his first at WNBC.

Unfortunately, I also noticed on the pages that he inexplicably makes political comments!

How wrong and unprofessional.

His role at WNBC, and I'm sure as an anchor at two Boston stations, is not to editorialize,

just to report the news not to express his personal feelings.

He couches the comments with "POLITICS ASIDE" - that doesn't ameliorate his lack of

judgment.

Professionals are expected to keep their political thoughts to themselves  In fact,

many won't even vote!

Once again, the misuse of Social Media can be the bane of broadcast "journalists."

Phil has started and filed his first report on Tuesday.

There is a rule in journalism that the expression of personal views does not reflect of those at  Television stations.

So.. in theory what ever he says on his twitter page are his own personal views. If WNBC wanted to past judgement on those views he wouldn't be there and we would have a different conversation. As long as he can do his job properly and doesn't create a toxic environment at WNBC in which I'm pretty sure they don't tolerate.

• Like 1

The point is - a professional "journalist" should not express personal views.  They should be kept persona'!

Since he was a member of the O&O family, I wonder how much vetting took place?????

Probably little if none.

The bar keeps getting lower!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

The point is - a professional "journalist" should not express personal views.  They should be kept persona'!

Since he was a member of the O&O family, I wonder how much vetting took place?????

Probably little if none.

Perhaps that is why he is not gong to anchor and someone else on this board believes he is actually freelancing as a per diem reporter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

Probably little if none.

…. and still is a member of the NBC O&O. Just not in Boston.  Plus he knows in NYC it's a different playing field. He did  7 Years to be exact so he knows the rules.

• Like 1

Phil does not express his own political views on his Twitter page, which I've followed for years, so that's not an accurate statement to make.  If you're referring to the occasional comment he makes on Twitter calling into question a demonstrably false lie President Trump tells, or lamenting an unprofessional tone or ad hominem attack made by a politician, it's completely justified as a journalist and is consistent with comments made by network and cable news correspondents.  

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

I totally disagree with your justifying his inappropriate Tweets.

Fortunately, for Mr. Lipof, his Tweet pages have been removed!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Tweet pages, but his Twitter account has not been removed.  It's still there.  https://twitter.com/lipoftv

Instead of broadly claiming he is biased, the more appropriately thing to do would be to cite specific instances in which you feel he stated something biased.  If you have examples, please share them.

• Like 4

Thank you helping me find what I consider to be his ineptitude -

Easy to say when you have Walter Reed and drugs not available to anyone else. 208,000 Americans didn’t. None of us do. POLITICS ASIDE - this is about health and safety. Of course you don’t hide in a closet - but this message is completely Irresponsible.

This is my opinion and I rest my case!
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 8:14 PM, SnellKrell said:

Thank you helping me find what I consider to be his ineptitude -

Easy to say when you have Walter Reed and drugs not available to anyone else. 208,000 Americans didn’t. None of us do. POLITICS ASIDE - this is about health and safety. Of course you don’t hide in a closet - but this message is completely Irresponsible.

This is my opinion and I rest my case!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When you're a journalist on a network that's supposed to be considered objective, you have to be very careful about expressing political opinions on a personal and especially a professional social media account. Personally I'm kind of weary of news organizations having people follow journalists on Twitter. For me I rather just see what the reporter has to report at allotted news cast times and that's it, unless it's a commentator like Rachel Maddow or Ben Shapiro who people follow explicitly for their opinions. I know it can be frustrating when the President shares information that's untrue but that's an easy way to get sucked into the back and forth partisan battle that's ongoing.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1