WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I kind of agree about having a solo at 6; the likes of Dana Tyler and Jim Gardner have been doing it for a fair bit now and it should fit Chuck just fine. Natalie and Adam should make for great rapport -- let's see if the honchos will commit to that pairing.

It’s Natalie and David. I think it would have been better to have them at 5 and 11, have Adam with a co-anchor at 11 and 4 and have Chuck go solo at 6 for now. That makes more sense than someone going solo at 5.

On 9/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, NowBergen said:

I suspect both Adam and Gilma will go solo with their respective broadcasts for a while.  NBC was in no hurry to replace Stacey Bell.  NBC budget cuts hurt other O&Os with both on air and off talent, which doesn't seem to have hit WNBC.  Probably not filling the 5 pm co-anchor slot has helped manage the budget.  

Perhaps this is why Stephan is going to WMAQ. Perhaps it’s not a demotion per say but a part of a overall cost cutting move.

3 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

On good authority, Stefan Holt's move back to WMAQ had nothing to do with NBC cost cutting,

it was the anchor's family's choice.  Supposedly, New Rochelle didn't cut it for Stefan's wife, Morgan.

I don't think anyone was inferring Stefan Holt's move back to Chicago was budget driven.   He's been pretty open on social media that it was a return the family wanted.  

The comment on budget cuts at several NBC O&Os and local NBCSNs was in relation to WNBC not replacing Stacey Bell at 5, no announcement of a co-anchor when Adam takes over, nor any announcement if there will be one on weekends with Gilma.  It probably comes down to if the viewers actually notice and care, not those that notice every detail of a broadcast.  There are enough remote reports and investigative stories at 5 that it may not make a big deal to most viewers.  Could that change?  That's up to the execs at NBC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NowBergen said:

I don't think anyone was inferring Stefan Holt's move back to Chicago was budget driven.   He's been pretty open on social media that it was a return the family wanted.  

The comment on budget cuts at several NBC O&Os and local NBCSNs was in relation to WNBC not replacing Stacey Bell at 5, no announcement of a co-anchor when Adam takes over, nor any announcement if there will be one on weekends with Gilma.  It probably comes down to if the viewers actually notice and care, not those that notice every detail of a broadcast.  There are enough remote reports and investigative stories at 5 that it may not make a big deal to most viewers.  Could that change?  That's up to the execs at NBC.

It’s odd although it could be permanent.

The ad promoting the new anchor pairing of David and Natalie was first officially revealed by the station in this year's film guide of Hamptons International Film Festival of which the station is a proud supporter. Look at page 52 of the guide promoting the new tandem.  https://www.easthamptonstar.com/PDFs/HIFF_Cat_2020-Updated-Sept16.pdf

13 hours ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

The ad promoting the new anchor pairing of David and Natalie was first officially revealed by the station in this year's film guide of Hamptons International Film Festival of which the station is a proud supporter. Look at page 52 of the guide promoting the new tandem.  https://www.easthamptonstar.com/PDFs/HIFF_Cat_2020-Updated-Sept16.pdf

Just in case if you're lazy to look:

image.thumb.png.67116d896eebae935a6483f2dc02ef88.png

• Like 4

I see a 7pm newscast airing tonight on WNBC, in addition to a rerun of Nightly News at 7:30 again. When did this resume?

I agree with @Roadrunner that 5:00 feels better with two anchors. 6:00 would feel right with a dual anchor format too, IMO. Hypothetically if Chuck ever got a co anchor again at 6:00, I like his two veteran rapport with Pat Battle anytime she's filled in. She's the best on Saturday mornings so understandably they wouldn't mess with that. If Dana Tyler —as someone mentioned—got a co anchor at 6:00 again, Dick Brennan might be a good fit.

Stations really mix it up a lot now, compared to times past where noon & am often shared the same anchors as did 6 & 11pm.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I tried thinking of hypothetical pairings, but I couldn't really think of one without uprooting something already established or introducing a "new face" (whether a new hire or a reporter promotion). But also, knowing the trend toward solo anchoring because of budget constraints or just choosing to emphasize more distinct personalities (instead of trying to form chemistry between two people), I don't think even a station like WNBC will look into prioritizing duo anchor pairs in the long run, especially as I think CBSN-style news will likely become more dominant through the decade.

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

I see a 7pm newscast airing tonight on WNBC, in addition to a rerun of Nightly News at 7:30 again. When did this resume?

I agree with @Roadrunner that 5:00 feels better with two anchors. 6:00 would feel right with a dual anchor format too, IMO. Hypothetically if Chuck ever got a co anchor again at 6:00, I like his two veteran rapport with Pat Battle anytime she's filled in. She's the best on Saturday mornings so understandably they wouldn't mess with that. If Dana Tyler--- as someone mentioned-----got a co anchor at 6:00, Dick Brennan might be a good fit.

The 7 p.m. news hour was due to NBC Sports' coverage of the US Open. Golf coverage was from 4 to 7 p.m. So News 4 at 6 and NBC Nightly News slid back an hour. 

I believe Chuck does currently have a co-anchor at 6 p.m. Natalie Pasquarella had been paired with Chuck for a while now. Did something change?

17 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

I believe Chuck does currently have a co-anchor at 6 p.m. Natalie Pasquarella had been paired with Chuck for a while now. Did something change?

No, nothing changed on that front. I think the conversation in this thread had a slight bit of a diversion of speculations without re-specifying what the existing arrangement was and what the new arrangement would be. I think the gist is that some of us opined if they were insistent on having solo anchors, then the 6 would be a better option for that (like the 11AM), instead of having a solo anchor for an hour-long newscast (AKA the 5).

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

Just in case if you're lazy to look:

image.thumb.png.67116d896eebae935a6483f2dc02ef88.png

It looks like a unfinshed work, but due to COVID, the station's creative services team did this with shots of the anchors were photographed by Jaime Khan, whom is previously involving shot photographs of the station's personalities. They did not use the "Look N" graphics!

19 hours ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

It looks like a unfinshed work, but due to COVID, the station's creative services team did this with shots of the anchors were photographed by Jaime Khan, whom is previously involving shot photographs of the station's personalities. They did not use the "Look N" graphics!

IMHO, it's not bad. I like it. Minimalist and classy. Genuine and warm. It fits both of them well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amra said:

IMHO, it's not bad. I like it. Minimalist and classy. Genuine and warm. It fits both of them well.

5 hours ago, Amra said:

Aside from the official ad reveal of the new anchor team (The first All-Catholic anchor team at WNBC) for this year's Hamptons International Film Festival Film Guide, Here's the other ads that the station created for the film guide (but with on-air talent only):

The Today in New York team (Kerry Barrett, Chris Cimino, Darlene Rodriguez, Michael Gargiulo and Lauren Scala) from 2015:TodayInNY2015.thumb.jpg.73466196b099e64e5096bf5a91484e6e.jpg

The News 4 at 4PM team (Stefan Holt, Natalie and Dave Price) from 2016:

903102918_Firstat4.thumb.jpg.d5bb758079dec74d5600473ebc2d9319.jpg

9 hours ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

Aside from the official ad reveal of the new anchor team (The first All-Catholic anchor team at WNBC) for this year's Hamptons International Film Festival Film Guide, Here's the other ads that the station created for the film guide (but with on-air talent only)

What do the religion of the anchors or any on staff personnel have to do with anything?  It is their personal business.   It has nothing to do with their qualifications, experience and viewer acceptance.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DMA said:

Is he going to take over the 11am from David?

Afraid not. Adam Kuperstein will take 11am and 5pm 

2 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

Adam Kuperstein is replacing David, who's replacing Stefan.

I would imagine that Phil will replace Adam co-anchoring the weekend 6 and 11,

and doing general reporting.

I assume thats what might happen

Good to finally hear where he's heading! Here's to hoping Phil can finally find his "forever" home. He's really been out and about a lot as a big-market talent. Kind of glad to see there probably wasn't bad blood between him and NBC corporate in his exit from Boston, though I did kind of also hold out a little on the possibility WABC and Phil might reunite -- guess it wasn't meant to be. 

44 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Good to finally hear where he's heading! Here's to hoping Phil can finally find his "forever" home. He's really been out and about a lot as a big-market talent. Kind of glad to see there probably wasn't bad blood between him and NBC corporate in his exit from Boston, though I did kind of also hold out a little on the possibility WABC and Phil might reunite -- guess it wasn't meant to be. 

I'm with you.  The rumors have been out there.  I was secretly hoping Ritter would retire and Phil would take his place.  Obviously not happening.

I don't watch NBC4 news much, but I very well may now with Phil coming.  I don't want to start a "war" wonder if Chuck is retiring soon but hasn't announced it yet?  I expect them to fit Phil into a prominent anchor spot, but where?  Time will tell.

1 minute ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'm with you.  The rumors have been out there.  I was secretly hoping Ritter would retire and Phil would take his place.  Obviously not happening.

I don't watch NBC4 news much, but I very well may now with Phil coming over.  I don't want to start a "war", but I wonder if Chuck is retiring soon but hasn't announced it yet?  I expect them to fit Phil into a prominent anchor spot, but where?  Time will tell.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth