WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

9 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

Chicago is a step down it's Market #3.

Chicago, of course, isn't a dump!

His parents live in the NY area - which leads me to  believe a friend's speculation

that the move isn't his choice.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Not everyone wants to work in NYC, LA, etc... and many can be very successful in smaller markets. Reportedly, the highest paid local meteorologist and sportscaster both work in Chicago.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, jase said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Not everyone wants to work in NYC, LA, etc... and many can be very successful in smaller markets. Reportedly, the highest paid local meteorologist and sportscaster both work in Chicago.

IMO there seems to be a revolving door of the news team over there lately.  Poor working conditions?  Pain in the ass bosses?  Poor pay where the pay is better elsewhere when contracts expire?

28 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

Chicago, of course, isn't a dump!

His parents live in the NY area - which leads me to  believe a friend's speculation

that the move isn't his choice.

Perhaps Stephen and his wife wanted to move back to where they grew up. Perhaps they will be close to his wife’s parents or perhaps WNBC is looking to save money and that’s a factor in this. Stacey Bells recent departure makes me wonder if that might be the case.

14 minutes ago, SnellKrell said:

And moving to L.A. is a step down too because it's Market #2? They're really not. Moving from New York to another city doesn't automatically mean your career is screwed - especially if you chose to take it. Some TV personalities have become legends in even lower markets.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Perhaps Stephen and his wife wanted to move back to where they grew up. Perhaps they will be close to his wife’s parents or perhaps WNBC is looking to save money and that’s a factor in this. Stacey Bells recent departure makes me wonder if that might be the case.

Stacey Bell left to end her bicoastal commute and be with her husband full time.  He is the HC of the LA Chargers and she was actually on Hard Knocks season premiere last week.  In the case of Stefan, he is going to another NBC O&O.  Although NBCU has been cutting staff in the last couple of weeks, it does not appear this is the case if he is actually transferring within the company..  Unlike other markets, it does not seem that any local on air staff have been let go, yet.  

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

IMO there seems to be a revolving door of the news team over there lately.  Poor working conditions?  Pain in the ass bosses?  Poor pay where the pay is better elsewhere when contracts expire?

Yes, it’s unusual for a station (WMAQ) to make changes to every newscast without firings being involved. That said, there is 0 reasons to believe anything you suggested was involved in the decision-making process.

4 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

A market size does not determine a step up or step down. How much happier (or unhappier) you are with your professional life, personal life, living conditions, surrounding environment, your income vs cost of living and the opportunities available for your family determine whether a new job is a step up or step down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

A market size does not determine a step up or step down. How much happier (or unhappier) you are with your professional life, personal life, living conditions, surrounding environment, your income vs cost of living and the opportunities available for your family determine whether a new job is a step up or step down. 

Another possibility is that WMAQ is not thrilled with there current ratings and they think that Stefan would be an improvement and WNBC is confident they have someone else who would keep the ratings stable so they see it as a win-win.

9 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Don't forget Adam Kuperstein - I think he has a better shot than Gus Rosendale.

My own choice would be David Ushery.  I've been a fan since his days at WABC.

Gus is fine on the weekends with Pat as I like their chemistry together. I think it's going to be most likely Adam that will replace Stefan for 4 and 11pm respectively. David Ushery is fine doing 5pm solo for now as I don't think they will hire somebody to Anchor with him at this time. As a result, Gilma will be anchoring by herself if Adam moves to weeknights or they can probably move her to 5pm with David. That's how I see it going forward, as for the weekends, I guess it's going to be a rotation of filling in with Jen Maxfield and/or Rana Novini again. Any thoughts?

Edited by Newsjunker95

I think it's probably permanent, standing presentation has been their post-COVID policy, and this minimalist desk probably makes framing shots for the LED wall easier. If it was temporary I don't think they would have gone to the trouble to make LED uplighting for it.

1 hour ago, B2r4a6n said:

I wonder why they don't just build a bigger desk. 

image.png.00712bcde80d852e89edcddb1f59baf7.png

WNBC_NewSet_Oct2016.jpg

The set has a slightly odd fishbowl arrangement with the placement of the weather center, I doubt they could widen the desk without camera framing being an issue. 

• Like 1