WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

59 minutes ago, anthonyz said:

Not sure how the newscasts were earlier in the day, the 6pm newscast today had Natalie standing in front of the desk with a backdrop graphic similar to TINY but added a tone of blue.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 6.11.46 PM.png

Ooh. I like that shot A LOT. Hope they keep using it post-COVID. Are any anchors at WNBC still at home? 

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jbnews said:

Are any anchors at WNBC still at home? 

Darlene Rodriguez and Michael Gargiulo had been alternating a week at home, then a week in studio.
The last two weeks  Darlene Rodriguez has been at home with everyone else in studio.

WABC might be the only morning NYC newscast where, as of last week, everyone is in studio.

The anchors' audio in the mornings has been incredibly low.

I realize that it's so difficult to produce live television during the pandemic, and then

add on summer vacations.

It's just in the mornings - newscasts later in the days are fine!

But, it makes to sense, and you don't need meters or graphs to indicate that there's

something very wrong.

How can the weather reporter have normal audio levels?  How can a split screen 

with Chuck Todd from D.C. provide correct audio yet the anchor's mic level is in

the basement?

This has been going on for more than a week.

Doesn't anyone in the control room or an exec at home listen and realize that there's

something very wrong????

Well, the morning's anchor's audio level was back in the basement!

Amazing that no one hears this problem.

Amazing that no one does anything about it.

Amazing that the audio level coming from a street reporter wearing a mask is 

better than the anchor's!

There very well could be one audio "engineer" who should be working with mimes!!!!!

2 hours ago, SnellKrell said:

Well, the morning's anchor's audio level was back in the basement!

Amazing that no one hears this problem.

Amazing that no one does anything about it.

Amazing that the audio level coming from a street reporter wearing a mask is 

better than the anchor's!

There very well could be one audio "engineer" who should be working with mimes!!!!!

Honestly, I have not noticed this at all, and most likely neither have most viewers.  The sound quality that bothers me most is the CBSNY set which sounds like the anchor is in a tunnel.

I have a soundbar with a center channel and WNBC is consistently the best - I think they actually broadcast in 3 audio channels (doubt it's true 5.1) WABC is normal stereo and WCBS is consistently muddy audio wise. 

On 7/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, DMA said:

I have a soundbar with a center channel and WNBC is consistently the best - I think they actually broadcast in 3 audio channels (doubt it's true 5.1) WABC is normal stereo and WCBS is consistently muddy audio wise. 

WNBC does do 5.1 audio for the newscasts.  The anchors, reporters and reports are on the center channel. The music and sound effects are on the left and right channels.

• Like 1

110708747_WNBC-DT_20200710_0459(03).thumb.jpg.6b1c0d80557f49aab7d2b9f4e0caf86d.jpg

They made a small change to "Today In New York" this morning. Darlene, anchoring solo, opened the newscast standing in front of the desk,

then Maria did the first weather forecast from the green screen instead of the video wall. They did they same at the half-hour.

vlcsnap-2020-07-13-04h03m38s798.thumb.png.56b6a2b00972ff66b37b0e677a9f5cc3.png

Checking on Monday, they still have one anchor at home.

Edited by IceManNYR

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:16 AM, TellyGenic said:

Where is Gilma?  Haven't seen her since before the COVID crisis started.  I know she had a baby a while back, but shouldn't she be back at work by now?

Gilma returned last night at 11. She was in studio while Adam was home.

• Like 1

Just now, B2r4a6n said:

Tonight at 6pm: Adam Kuperstein and Gilma Avalos are both in the studio... I could be wrong but, isn't this the first time since March that WNBC has had both anchors in the studio? 

Correct.  Pat Battle was home this am while Gus was in the studio.  It will be interesting to see if they allow two anchors during the week.  They are standing more than 6 feet apart using different parts of the studio.  It may be one reason they have been having most anchors stand in front of the desk the last couple of weeks as a trial run for camera angles.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:38 PM, Liugrad2020 said:

I was thinking when a decision is made about a co-anchor for David that Morgan Ratford is the best bet. She had the personality, energy and appears to be friendly with Janice Huff. 

Morgan Radford works for the network.  Would she want to leave?   Maybe she like to travel?