WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

In the past, WNBC has also used the CNBC studio in Englewood Cliffs when there were issues in midtown impacting 30 Rock.  It was a weekend, so that was not an option.  It may result in WNBC wishing to upgrade a backup studio at WNJU (which ironically are in the old CNBC/America's Talking/MSNBC studios in Fort Lee).  Having that facility in NJ would give them an advantage over the other stations.   In reality, all the networks/stations impacted will probably be reassessing their contingency plans going forward.  Would CNBC have to keep an area on weekends active in case MSNBC or WNBC has to relocate?  What would CBS and ABC do?  And Fox has abandoned the Secaucus studio which is nt longer an option.  I noticed that WCBS was using a studio with really bad acoustics.  You could hear the anchor's sighs and it was echoing.  All had lighting issues.  However, in the end, they all got the news and information out.

22 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

In the past, WNBC has also used the CNBC studio in Englewood Cliffs when there were issues in midtown impacting 30 Rock.  It was a weekend, so that was not an option.  It may result in WNBC wishing to upgrade a backup studio at WNJU (which ironically are in the old CNBC/America's Talking/MSNBC studios in Fort Lee).  Having that facility in NJ would give them an advantage over the other stations.   In reality, all the networks/stations impacted will probably be reassessing their contingency plans going forward.  Would CNBC have to keep an area on weekends active in case MSNBC or WNBC has to relocate?  What would CBS and ABC do?  And Fox has abandoned the Secaucus studio which is nt longer an option.  I noticed that WCBS was using a studio with really bad acoustics.  You could hear the anchor's sighs and it was echoing.  All had lighting issues.  However, in the end, they all got the news and information out.

At the least the networks also own stations in the next market over, in Philadelphia. In the case of ABC, if things really went dire, they could get assistance from either their sister station in Philadelphia, WPVI 6ABC or their corporate cousins at ESPN in either their Bristol, CT studios or their South Street Seaport studios in Lower Manhattan, which was unaffected by the blackout. The blackout affected Fox News, since they were on Sixth Avenue but not WNYW, which is on East 67th Street. NBC also has studios in Wall Street for CNBC, if they couldn't make it to New Jersey. And if CBS ever needed some backup, Philadelphia sister station KYW 3 could pinch-hit. Fox could also rely on help from WTXF 29. 

9 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

New Meteorologist search is over:  Maria LaRosa is now the new TINY meteorologist. Starting 7/29. Hopefully, promos soon at your local New York City subway stop.

Interesting. When did Maria leave The Weather Channel?

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

New Meteorologist search is over:  Maria LaRosa is now the new TINY meteorologist. Starting 7/29. Hopefully, promos soon at your local New York City subway stop.

Source?

considering she has rarely been on air, not connected to the anchor team and the viewers this is surprising.   If it was for Sat or Sunday that would make more sense.   Either Raphael Miranda or Erica Grow should have been selected.  I wouldn’t blame them if they bolt. 

16 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Source?

considering she has rarely been on air, not connected to the anchor team and the viewers this is surprising.   If it was for Sat or Sunday that would make more sense.   Either Raphael Miranda or Erica Grow should have been selected.  I wouldn’t blame them if they bolt. 

She made the announcement on her social media pages.

• 2 weeks later...

TINY 7/29/19: Darlene > Michael > Lauren > Maria

Very pleased to say that Maria did great on her first day. She had her little moments (first day glitters). However, in all retrospect I feel TINY will be in good hands.

However, we all here may have our opinions about either Rafael, Erica or Dave to be apart of TINY.

10 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

TINY 7/29/19: Darlene > Michael > Lauren > Maria

Very pleased to say that Maria did great on her first day. She had her little moments (first day glitters). However, in all retrospect I feel TINY will be in good hands.

However, we all here may have our opinions about either Rafael, Erica or Dave to be apart of TINY.

From what I saw this morning, it will take a little time for her to develop the relationship with Darlene & Michael that the other meteorologists have.  You can tell she very much is trying.  I'm sure NBC had its reasons for her taking that slot.

3 hours ago, brianpr3 said:

Bio off the site, i think we know what that means

Her facebook page still has a copy of the forecast from WNBC from this morning.  I guess we may know more come the weekend if she is not on and they don't say someone is sitting in for her.

3 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

I think that was the one call that was expected with these TINY changes that 1 weathercaster would drop.

How?  They are now down 1 meteorologist.  With Rafael Miranda doing TINY Weekends, and Janice and Dave Price doing weeknights, there is no one who is permanent on weekend nights.  That makes no sense.  Clearly they have an opening.  The only move they could make is to move Dave Price to weekends.  He would see that as a demotion, as would viewers so that is very doubtful.

2 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

How?  They are now down 1 meteorologist.  With Rafael Miranda doing TINY Weekends, and Janice and Dave Price doing weeknights, there is no one who is permanent on weekend nights.  That makes no sense.  Clearly they have an opening.  The only move they could make is to move Dave Price to weekends.  He would see that as a demotion, as would viewers so that is very doubtful.

At the going rate right now we might see a little bit of Janice and possibly Dave doing weather on weekend nights until they get a new person. I was a bit surprised when I saw Janice on at 11 last night. Probably WNBC has it's reason why Erica is no longer there.

44 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

At the going rate right now we might see a little bit of Janice and possibly Dave doing weather on weekend nights until they get a new person. I was a bit surprised when I saw Janice on at 11 last night. Probably WNBC has it's reason why Erica is no longer there.

Erica seems to bounce around quite a bit. From WPVI to WUSA to WNBC. Short term solution would be to have Dave handle weekend evenings plus his shift M-W, and Maria (11am) and Janice (4pm) could handle Th-F.