WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Noticed former WABC reporter Jamie Roth on WNBC.

8D356D4C-62AA-4A82-BD0D-A670516995C2.png

Anyone know if she is permanent or freelance.  They also had another guy not seen before on over the weekend covering the storm that wasn't.    His bio is the works for the network in DC.  May have just been filling in as a reporter.

• 3 weeks later...

WNBC has added lighting above the video walls and between the main video wall and blue side walls.
Instead of a live camera view of the city, they are using a photo of the Manhattan skyline for the background with NEWS 4 NEW YORK at the bottom scrolling left to right .

You can see the difference in stills from the 1st and 7th.

LS.DR.02.01.19.jpg

WNBC-DT_20190207_0359.jpg

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 5:38 PM, NowBergen said:

Anyone know if she is permanent or freelance.  They also had another guy not seen before on over the weekend covering the storm that wasn't.    His bio is the works for the network in DC.  May have just been filling in as a reporter.

She's started a new twitter handle @JamieRoth4NY and her bio says " Reporter @NBCNewYork".

5 hours ago, HulkieD said:

As much as I like the live camera feeds the NBC O&Os use, that background looks really really sharp.

I wonder if they could find a location in NY and overlay the peacock and the digital chair line. I imagine they’re rolling out 4K cameras (when WNJU launched from 1WTC they installed a 4K camera for their use).

14 hours ago, HulkieD said:

As much as I like the live camera feeds the NBC O&Os use, that background looks really really sharp.

Sorry, it reminds me of Tegna backgrounds like what was used at KSDK in the am. Just more yellow than KSDK's redish/orange.  That station (and station group) is not in the same universe of quality as WNBC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, IceManNYR said:

Today at 6 am the lights were on and the skyline photo was used. At 6:30 am they switched to a live camera background and the lighting around the video wall was turned off.

WNBC-DT_20190209_0559 (02).jpg

WNBC-DT_20190209_0559.jpg

Worth mentioning I’ve seen other NBC stations use the same exact style backdrop of course with the cityscape and the branding changed.  I know it’s done in Chicago and I think DFW as well. 

WNBC could use a lower third overhaul. The top graphics which displayed the date in the last image is basically unnecessary much like the gray bar at the very bottom of the screen beneath the crawl. Sounding old fashioned, but I liked when screen bugs were transparent, and only lit up when the "lower third graphic" popped up to display an anchor's name or informarion. I'm assuming the purpose for a lower third always displaying a headline now is so that audiences know exactly what the story is about when they turn to the station.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

Jummy Olabanji leaving WNBC heading to WRC:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wnbc-reporter-and-anchor-heads-home-to-d-c/214243/

That's a return to the nation's capital for Jummy, after leaving WJLA for Channel 4 a couple of years back. At least she's staying with the peacock.

Wonder who would take her weekend spot.

Edited by CircleSeven

14 hours ago, Newsjunker95 said:

Probably Jen Maxfield

NBC has often gone outside to fill the anchor ranks on weekends, and I expect them to do it again, even if it is a promotion of an anchor from another NBC O&O.  Although there are often wishes for local promotions, it has often been said that many are happy with their current situations rather than "moving up."  Considering family and community obligations Jen Maxfield has, she may be just fine with her current situation as being a reporter and fill in anchor.  Time will tell.  It seems NBC is never quick to fill the weekend anchor positions.

3 hours ago, NowBergen said:

NBC has often gone outside to fill the anchor ranks on weekends, and I expect them to do it again, even if it is a promotion of an anchor from another NBC O&O.  Although there are often wishes for local promotions, it has often been said that many are happy with their current situations rather than "moving up."  Considering family and community obligations Jen Maxfield has, she may be just fine with her current situation as being a reporter and fill in anchor.  Time will tell.  It seems NBC is never quick to fill the weekend anchor positions.

Maybe a 3-way swap? Jummy Olabanji from WNBC to WRC, Adam Tuss from WRC to WCAU, and Rosemary Connors from WCAU to WNBC?

Jummy gets to return to DC and WRC presumably fills their weekend morning vacancy left by Angie Goff. WCAU gets another male anchor (can co-anchor weekend evenings and become a rotating 11am weekday anchor) and WCAU also trims their already overloaded female anchor bench, and WNBC gets a rising star in Rosemary Connors to fill their vacancy.

If Jummy is returning for weekend mornings, makes you wonder why she left WJLA to begin with.

Update: seems Jummy will be the LiveDesk anchor in the mornings: https://tvnewscheck.com/article/more-news/234565/wrc-adding-jummy-olabanji-to-morning-news/

Edited by TVNewsLover
Update

The local news in NYC is feeling saturated with chs. 2 4 5 7 11 & 10/55 all having newscasts, with roughly the same reporting style (5 &11 having a few unique tweaks), plus 24/7 repeats on News 12 & NY 1, and CBSN NY

It would be nice to see WNBC relaunch a good quality version of the old "Live at 5" (before it became a regular style newscast).

The 4pm newscast is unnecessary. I can't see WNBC beating Eyewitness News or Judge Judy at 4:00. With all the news in NYC, more newscasts are just over the top. Perhaps the stations should adopt a less is more attitude when it comes to news output.

Edited by iron_lion

6 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

The local news in NYC is feeling saturated with chs. 2 4 5 7 11 & 10/55 all having newscasts, with roughly the same reporting style (5 &11 having a few unique tweaks), plus 24/7 repeats on News 12 & NY 1, and CBSN NY

It would be nice to see WNBC relaunch a good quality version of the old "Live at 5" (before it became a regular style newscast).

The 4pm newscast is unnecessary. I can't see WNBC beating Eyewitness News or Judge Judy at 4:00. With all the news in NYC, more newscasts are just over the top. Perhaps the stations should adopt a less is more attitude when it comes to news output.

It doesn’t matter if the newscast is number 1. It is still adding dollars to the pocketbook.

• Like 1