WNBC - News 4 New York

Smitha A

WNBC had an odd audio problem for the first half hour of Today In New York. All you could hear was the talent in studio.

There was no music or audio of the reporters on location.The studio talent mics were always on.

Also Darlene was not there at 4 AM then showed up with no introduction at 4:17 AM. At 4:25 AM the audio was normal.

• 4 weeks later...

WNBC had more tech problems this morning. At 4:27 AM a commercial break started which included them playing the same News 4 promos twice.

They came back for a few seconds with no graphics only for the station to go into another commercial break.

At 4:36 AM they did weather and traffic with no on screen graphics.

When they came back from commercials at 4:41 AM things were back to normal.

I'm guessing this was an issue with the computer system that automates the newscast?

• Like 1

Am I crazy or did WNBC update their anchor back drop? I never remember them having a giant screen. Didn't it used to be the "window" look? When did they change it?

This was something out of Studio 3C setup which I believe they used several large LCD TV monitors. In 3K, the monitors consist of an LCD monitor wall from the start. Maybe they are going to follow what WCBS does with their set LCD monitor wall backdrop with OTS graphics?

1194538093_ScreenShot2018-01-16at8_31_05PM.png.fbe2e83db3c9a857cbee57e278f60dd8.png

1140452533_ScreenShot2018-01-16at8_35_37PM.png.d37d132dfe14f6b1d84796ccbd76ac9d.png

Side note: that set already looks so dated.

The fact they essentially mimicked the home base setup (same desk and video walls with columns) made it look like they didn’t really move. Then the backlit walls with those peacock prints don’t help.

It would probably have looked better if they went in a route similar to the side diffused LED walls that KNBC has. They are at a resolution where you can make out the movement and know what it is but not too high where it becomes distracting.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
The 11 PM news must have came on at least an hour late as the Super Bowl went off just before 11, then there was some new show, then a special Fallon after the news. I doubt if many watched it because it probably came on super late too. I could be completely wrong here.

That new show is not new... its called This is Us and is in its second season plus probably renewed for a third.

• Like 1

NBC did not use their 11 PM weekday anchors after the Superbowl.

Considering the late hour after a full length This is Us, it would have been a dumb stunt anyway. Besides, Stefan Holt was in Minneapolis. It would have been impossible for the weekday team to be there. I know personally, I did not last til the news, don't know anyone who did.

The 11 PM news must have came on at least an hour late as the Super Bowl went off just before 11, then there was some new show, then a special Fallon after the news. I doubt if many watched it because it probably came on super late too. I could be completely wrong here.

Despite the late start just after 11:45pm, it more than likely had higher ratings than most 11pm broadcasts on WNBC thanks to the "This Is Us" Super Bowl episode lead-in.

Except it won't happen until after the Olympics now.

What I mean is if WCBS, WABC or even WNYW wanted to jump on the 4am wagon now might be a good time. People who watch WNBC for the news at 4am may see it's not on and jump ship to one of the other stations if they had news on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...