CNN debuts new morning show(s)

AndrewPollard_

CNN previously announced that it will cancel its current morning show, American Morning, and create two new morning shows, both of which will debut on January 2. Earlier this week, CNN announced the names of the shows on its public relations Twitter account.

The first, that will air from 5-7am, is titled Early Start, and will be hosted by former MSNBC anchor Ashleigh Banfield and former WMAQ anchor Zoraida Sambolin. And the second is Starting Point, to be anchored by Soledad O'Brien. (O'Brien previously anchored AM from 2003 to 2007) The network states that the new shows will be different from AM and the rival networks' morning shows, which feature a mix of news and entertainment stories. This show is being referred to MSNBC's Morning Joe,which is similar in the way it is produced. What do you guys think?

Sounds like both CNN and CBS are going to have very similar shows. It also seems like morning shows are switching away from the Today show format that all have been copying for more than 50 years and going toward a Morning Joe format. I hope for the best for these shows and really looking forward for these shows to reshape morning television.

If you are on TVNewser and you you are reading a post on a cable news nework that isn't Fox News Channel, do you notice that there are tebagging, any-republican-worshiping, Fox News-loving idiots slamming the news networks' programs that they think are Democrat-targeting. And do you think it is immature and annoying?

If you are on TVNewser and you you are reading a post on a cable news nework that isn't Fox News Channel, do you notice that there are tebagging, any-republican-worshiping, Fox News-loving idiots slamming the news networks' programs that they think are Democrat-targeting. And do you think it is immature and annoying?

Yeah...politics aside, it gets really annoying. I stopped reading the comments a long time ago.

Guest NewsHound

Based on what I've seen this morning, Early Start is almost similar to American Morning but with Ashleigh Banfield and Zoraida Sambolin. It was alright, it seemed more lighthearted and banterous than American Morning. Ashleigh Banfield seemed like she was hyped up on caffeine. The slogan for the show has something to do with "news from A to Z" or something and both Ashleigh and Zoraida got a kick out of it most of the morning because one's name starts with A and the other Z.

The new graphics are just like typical CNN style but with a light blue, almost faded light blue scheme. In my opinion, the white text in the lower 3rds don't go well against the powder light blue.

I was disappointed with Starting Point, for it used the exact SAME graphics as Early Start. Soledad O'Brien did her show from inside a very tiny coffee shop in Des Moines, Iowa this morning. It was mostly politics banter gearing up for the Iowa Caucus. To me, I see Starting Point getting cancelled pretty quickly, the format and pacing was not even close to "Morning Joe", it was more like some kind of morning version of The Situation Room with a hint of Meet the Press.

Early Start is a definite refreshing change to American Morning, but Starting Point misses the mark by a long shot. I will definitely miss American Morning's orange graphics though.

Archived