CBS 2

Chicago News Boy

I believe when I saw the set while it was being built, that area just had plain glass in it.

There originally was plain glass there with white CBS 2 logos bordering the top and bottom of the glass.. It was actually 3 glass panels. It was removed a couple days prior to debut because during studio tests/rehearsals, headlight reflections from vehicles were very visible on the glass and reflected into the camera in some instances.. It would have been too distracting to keep the glass in place. I thought frosted glass (like what's used on WFLD's set) would have been a better. Why the hell it was not thought through way back when the set was originally being designed/built, I don't know.. For a few months, the glass panels were stored in the other studio with the other stuff brought over from the old building. I believe they still have the glass panels in the storage room along with the dismantled original anchor desk and set pieces no longer used..

What makes the set look especially bad now is a lot of the lights in the set itself, including anchor desk and portable desks/stands, are burned out. So far, all of the lights that have burned out on the set have not been replaced which makes me think they really don't care for that set anymore. I know many of those lights are T5 florescent bulbs which are a little more expensive but not that expensive.. A lot of retail stores use those type of bulbs now and keep them replaced so I don't see why a station can't. Hell, I got a couple boxloads of those bulbs myself. They take better care of keeping their newsroom and the rest of their building space maintained (including replacing lightbulbs) than in the set.

I honestly thought that when they went back to the two-anchor format for all newscasts, they would recommit themselves to making the set look nice. If they're not going to bother maintaining the set with simple lightbulb replacements to make it look presentable, they might as well clear out a corner of the newsroom and start broadcasting from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Something about the set that changed a couple weeks ago.. The fake conference backdrop from the Monster & Money days is gone. It has been replaced by an oversized Chicago duratran which I believe was brought over from the old building but isn't being backlit.

Also, the in-house built anchor desk platform in the studio is starting to fall apart and look bad cosmetically..

-----

This morning, they removed one of the rolling cart plasmas from the set so the new backdrop is lit and exposed. You can see it behind Meteorologist Megan Glaros in this video when she's standing at the anchor desk (at 0:45):

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/6636365-cbs-2-weather-forecast-11am/

It is an improvement over the fake conference room..

Archived