NBC chicago changes?

Chicago News Boy

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ughh...it's been like a month since they left the tower set. Any updates anyone?

I don't think anyone around here has any insider info...except for Allison Rosati's Facebook. I think there used to be someone around here that interned at WMAQ for a time, but was a real ass and got kicked out.

I e-mailed Marion Brooks, and she believes the overhaul will debut within the month.

Good to know. I think this is just a case of things taking longer than they originally thought. Serious set overhauls normally take more than a month to complete. Work started way too late to be done in time for Super Bowl Sunday. Bad planning on their part, but no surprise given their history (HD debut didn't go too well).

Maybe....I emailed someone yesterday though and he said they were still working on it. Do you think they finished it this soon?

Maybe they're covering their butts and overestimating completion instead of the underestimately they had been doing pre-Super Bowl.

If it's that Whitney Houston sting, then It's an Artworks graphic that apparently is being pushed out to all stations regardless of look.

How do I know this? It's the ONLY stock Look F graphic I've seen on WCAU, where the graphics have been modified to the point that it's effectively a different graphics package...

Their like breaking news graphics and all that are like zoomed in and cuts part of the logo off. Why would they use those? Looks like crap!!

Funny thing is, they've only been using those on a regular basis for the last few months.

Quick little survey...I want to see what you all think. When the new graphics come, what theme would you prefer...

A. Current use of Tower V.1 morning cut

B. Revert back to the V.1 evening cut

C. Pick up one of the many other NBC cuts

Frankly, I'd like them to go back to the evening cut. However, if they didn't, I'd rather they just get a new/different package. I've never been a fan of the morning cut in the evening, it just doesn't convey the same authority and power that the evening cut does.

Thoughts?

Honestly? I'd like another station to pick up that NBC O&O pack that either 360 or Stephen Arnold did. (The one used on KNSD and WCAU, though the CAU one is better) It's a good package with a lot of variety in the cuts and a distinctive signature. That was intended to go to all of the stations, but when they scrapped the block look they also dropped the music standardization. A shame, because like I said, it's a pretty good package. Better than Gari's NBC Collection Of Random Themes We Just Slapped The Chimes On...

I'm for keeping Tower. I do think it would be good to use separate morning and evening cuts. The Tower (while overused) is a very good theme, maybe the best NBC theme out there. Just like John Williams' Mission theme, it keeps building brand equity year after year; a masterpiece with enough variations it doesn't have to get old. If they want something new, Tower V3 would be an excellent choice. I'm all for brands evolving, not changing completely overnight. Besides, Chicago seems to like strong, legacy themes.

Archived