WNBC Moving to a New Studio

nynewslover

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video wall behind the desk being on a forward angle makes it look odd when they do a closeup shot from the camera on the left or right side.

At 11pm they started with a breaking news intro featuring red graphics on the intro and lower third.

No time and temp below the bug.

One thing I don't like is how the the bottom of the screen is covered by a continuation of the color of the lower third.

I really like how they use a live picture as their "window" behind the desk. Very nice feature. I've seen very minimal shaking.

The seven-day has the Twitter and Facebook logos alternating with ".com" after "NBCNEWYORK". Another full screen had the T and F icons next to "nbcnewyork" without any ".com". Kind of similar to how ABC 7 has been referring to "7online" as being on the web, tablet and smartphone as opposed to "7online.com". I wonder if that's going to be a new trend we'll start seeing with stations as they try to show that their internet offerings are more than just a website.

Geoffrey said:

> I really like how they use a live picture as their "window" behind the desk. Very nice feature. I've seen very minimal shaking.

I say:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a REAL live shot in the background. The Top-of-the-Rock camera is used for all sorts of things, so it could not be dedicated only as a background camera. NBC Network shares that camera. Most likely, the background is a reliable recording loop of the rooftop camera. They probably have several versions for different dayparts: Daytime south, Daytime north, Nighttime south, Nighttime north, etc.

I'm sure in time stuff like this will be adjusted,

this camera shot had the appearance of not being level,

aapj78eK.jpg

The background panels are angled toward the cameras at the top, so when shot from one side (like this shot), you can see the tilt. I don't know how this can be addressed unless the background monitor wall and separating posts are made completely vertical. That's unlikely to happen since this tilt is needed to eliminate reflections.

The background panels are angled toward the cameras at the top, so when shot from one side (like this shot), you can see the tilt. I don't know how this can be addressed unless the background monitor wall and separating posts are made completely vertical. That's unlikely to happen since this tilt is needed to eliminate reflections.

I'm surprised that, given all the hoopla over this set, no one realized that this would be the end result of tilting the monitors/panels. Possible reflections aside (that's a pretty easy fix imo), I would assume they will make some adjustments to address this issue at some point. This doesn't seem like something they will just let be, if you will.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a REAL live shot in the background. The Top-of-the-Rock camera is used for all sorts of things, so it could not be dedicated only as a background camera. NBC Network shares that camera. Most likely, the background is a reliable recording loop of the rooftop camera. They probably have several versions for different dayparts: Daytime south, Daytime north, Nighttime south, Nighttime north, etc.

Well the Empire State Building was green last night and it was also green behind Ushery. The weather also seemed to match.

Archived