WNBC Moving to a New Studio

nynewslover

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks nice, but I don't know, I think their previous graphics from what I've seen so far are a bit better. But then again it is a nice refreshing change. Lets wait to see how things progress..

Now that I have seen a wideshot of the desk, I don't like it. It looks awkward when the weather forecaster is standing right beside the anchor. And it's too much blank space and wood in that corner area.

I've remained silent on this topic soley because I've been so busy but I had to check this out today and post my thoughts. I must say that I'm really impressed!

What is amazing about their new setup is how close it resembles their network. It looks as if we're watching network news thats how similar their graphics, set and their presentation is. Very nice job by them. I think its a beauty and its very refreshing for the tri-state area. I still think that WCBS has the best looking set so far based on the amount of exposure we've gotten and how long their set has been unveiled. Of course I can't make final conclusions yet considering that we have yet to see more of WNBC's set since today is the first day haha.

I must say though, I'm not a real fan of the LCD screens as a backdrop that split, and a lot of the NY Area stations decided to head in that direction. WABC, WPIX and now WNBC. I prefer one large screen rather than multiple monitor setups for backdrops, but the set is actually very nice, the set look is very reminiscent of what they had back in the early 2000s and the music is also very reminiscent of the NewsChannel 4 era. The overall look brings us back to that era, with a network twist to it.

I think they finally did it! Its definitely an improvement from what they had before overall and I really like it. I guess we have yet to see them utilize the entire set, but its a nice change. What I really like is the change from the annoying plain Arial / Helvetica font that we see in all of the other stations how they decided to go with a Times New Roman like font kind of like KTRK.. :)

Here's an imgur album of the set, it might be repetitive.

http://imgur.com/a/TilYp#0

I like it. It's small, but looks more refined than the previous set. The backdrop was grey and shaky, but I'm assuming it's the live 30 Rock cam, which is nice. I think that it'd look even better with a recorded backdrop or image, and it really looks like a window, unlike WABC or WPIX. Overall, it's better than what they had, and that's fine by me.

I wish it was a little bigger than it would be perfect..That is the only thing I don't like about it..The graphics are ok..definitely a downgrade but they aren't 1/2 bad. All in all I hope they make the right moves from here.. The last time they changed sets WNBC went down the tubes hopefully they go in a different direction this time. And the reason I think I like it so much is because of the warmer colors which I like ALOT more.. I think the NY sets now go 1.) WNYW 2.) WNBC 3.) WCBS 4.) WABC 5.) WPIX ( Even though Channel 5 has the oldest set I still think it is the nicest and it has the most room and they utilize the entire set..)

The anchors have to be careful when moving the seats around, (especially if they can even fit three) look how close David's chair is to the edge. Though, I'm not sure, but there does seem to be a bar there so they don't roll off.

I wonder what the low temperatures on the seven-day mean. Stations usually put the low temperature below the high, even though the low generally occurs in the morning and this setup sort of makes it look like it occurs after the high. Are the lows here still the morning lows? If so, then it's really confusing because it's set up to make it look like it happens overnight (the next morning).

Not sure if any of that made any sense. :-)

For what it's worth, the Weather Center desk is still styled to match the anchor desk from the previous version of this set.

When David was standing at the flat screen the video was flickering like it's refresh rate was not correct for use on TV.

aas92M4A.jpg

Needs to have the contrast adjusted too.

I'm sure in time stuff like this will be adjusted, this camera shot had the appearance of not being level,

aapj78eK.jpg

This is going to remain a problem with angled shots. The entire backdrop is angled forwards, including the monitors. I wouldn't be surprised if any close up shot not almost straight-on stops being used.

I wonder what the low temperatures on the seven-day mean. Stations usually put the low temperature below the high, even though the low generally occurs in the morning and this setup sort of makes it look like it occurs after the high. Are the lows here still the morning lows? If so, then it's really confusing because it's set up to make it look like it happens overnight (the next morning).

Not sure if any of that made any sense. :-)

Well WCAU puts the low temperatures in between the days in the 7 day cause well that's when they usually occur, overnight:

NBC%2010%20News%20at%206-2012-04-21-0.jpg

Archived