WNBC Moving to a New Studio

nynewslover

I was able to find a Flickr photo of the new set by user Serenitbee...may I share? The set looks even cooler in real life, and yes...it was built from the render. The lighting is brighter and more vibrant than it appears there, and there's also a large, multi-screen thin bezel background located further out from the news desk (up stage left) . There also appears to be what looks to be a sizeable Perceptive Pixel screen off to its right.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks nice, but fairly cramped. The lighting grid suggests this was taken right in front of the opposite side of the set, so if that's the case, it's very small. There's going to have to be quite a bit of camera orchestration to use that monitor on the wall...

FWIW, I know this looks small, but it still looks bigger than 7E. I think the issue is that the cameras are large, skewing our perspective of things. It's also more vibrant, and also the well-designed background is very much like a giant picture window which makes the new 3C studio look like it was built around an actual window looking from the facade of 30 Rock. Given the choice between 7E and this one, I would take 3C,as its design and lighting stand out well, and that it does seem bigger than WNBC's current digs.

There's another door to the right of the desk in that photo. You can see the exit sign above Camera 3's prompter. The door was unobscured in the previous version of this set, so it will be interesting to see if they painted it or something now.

Looks nice, but yes very very small. The desk also look like three would be a crowd. The renderings had Chris standing, I think we should also expect that for the sports anchor as well.

The setup would be similar to WMAQ's desk, everyone sits but weather stands.

What happens to 7E? Wake Up With Al needs a better studio then the small one it uses now that they have Al and Stephanie in the same NYC studio.
I don't think they will because they just updated the background and other small things for the relaunch of the shows (Wake Up With AL & YWT) .

The setup would be similar to WMAQ's desk, everyone sits but weather stands.

True, but there is room for an additional chair if needed. WMAQ used a 4-person setup during last month's election night coverage. I believe the platform only holds three chairs with room for a 4th chair to slide in.

It looks nice, but fairly cramped. The lighting grid suggests this was taken right in front of the opposite side of the set, so if that's the case, it's very small. There's going to have to be quite a bit of camera orchestration to use that monitor on the wall...

Yeah, I can see them running into the same problems WMAQ has with their cameras. Hopefully, they will take some time and work things out before their new set/graphics launch.

So far (60 seconds in), I'm a fan of the new look... but I think the lower-thirds look too clunky the way they take up so much space below (where the ticker will go in the morning). I'm not used to serif fonts but it's interesting that it's different.

"Etan Patz Case" tab on the lower-third was too wide for the text, just like ABC 7 does with their graphics. Strange that they can't size it better.

Set really looks like a window. Nice.

Archived