Jim Watkins Fired?

tvknowledge

It's probably a simple math situation. They can pick up younger talent cheaper. And seeing as they are going for female demo (still targeting the non news-watching group), his services were no longer required.

Either that, or he voiced displeasure at the direction the station is going. The wording makes it sound like he said something Bill Carey didn't like.

The truth on the situation will come out sooner or later.

This line in the article caught my attention:

"We’re told that Watkins is no longer permitted in the WPIX building on 42nd Street."

That's pretty severe - it sounds more like either a personal or an ethical matter than the financial decision kjohnson posted above.

I haven't watched PIX News since they broke up Jim and Kaity at 10pm awhile ago. I personally blame news director Bill Carey for this. Does he know how to destroy a once proud and respected news organization. Look at the people who have either left or have been fired because of him. Goodbye PIX.

Update from Fishbowl NY: WPIX news director Bill Carey says Watkins “remains employed by WPIX.”

It's probably a simple math situation. They can pick up younger talent cheaper. And seeing as they are going for female demo (still targeting the non news-watching group), his services were no longer required.

If that is the case, last time I checked he was damn dashingly handsome...

It's quite possible he said or did something to piss off management. If I remember right, when Watkins left his short-lived anchor stint of "Inquirer News Tonight" in Philly, he did so with quite a bit of acrimony.

I would think most stations would kill for him: He is like Fantasy Anchor: Handsome, great hair, commanding/ authoritative voice and smart as a whip. He should just go to a second-tier market and become a local superstar. Oh, did i mention he looks great in suits? ;o)

LOL....who updates the info?

Info guide on Cablevision for Fox 5 News at 6 and 10 on Sunday says "Park, Allen". I don't think Craig Allen's been on Fox 5 all year and has been filling in at PIX since June.

The station is responsible for providing information to the guide vendor. The guide vendor then distributes it to operators like DirectTV, Cablevision, Time Warner, etc.

This station really became a toxic place fast from what used to be a warm environment with great crew chemistry.

You're exactly right.. I used to watch PIX News in the morning and at night for a few yrs.. I loved the morning show.. They lost great people and assets they will never get back and I think it is sad.

TV, Weather

Meteorologist Craig Allen Increases Workload at WPIX, Lisa Mateo Shifts Temporarily to Mornings

By Jerry Barmash on October 11, 2011 9:09 AM

Kaity Tong is not the only “new” face on weekends at WPIX. As we reported September 30, she replaced the terminated Jim Watkins on an interim basis. But a deeper evaluation reveals another recent, albeit quieter change on the weekend newscasts.

Meteorologist Craig Allen, a steady freelancer at Channel 11 since leaving WNYW/Channel 5 in June, has seemingly become a regular contributor.

Avid weekend WPIX viewers will notice less of forecaster Lisa Mateo and more of Allen.

However, Allen has not been named a permanent meteorologist at Channel 11. News director Bill Carey says Allen, though, remains a valuable fill in.

“Lisa is dealing with the sudden loss of her father-in-law, and helping [in] the mornings,” Carey tells FishbowlNY. “Craig will help through this and next month as much as he can.”

Of course, Allen has been enjoying the ride for three decades. Allen has been a constant presence as the even-keeled morning and afternoon chief meteorologist at WCBS 880 since 1981.

But, Allen has built a nice secondary television career. He has worked for several area stations including WCBS/Channel 2 and News 12 Long Island. Allen also had a three-year stint on weekends at WNYW/Channel 5. After losing the steady weekend shifts in 2010, Allen was a fill-in option for Shay Ryan until bolting for better opportunities at WPIX.

While at WCBS in the mid 1990s, Allen’s career intersected with Carey, the former Channel 2 news director.

“I’m enjoying the opportunity to be working with Bill [Carey] again and with the PIX family,” Allen says.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived