WSVN debuts new on-air look

Weeters

WSVN in Miami debut a new, updated on-air look and sound on Thursday. The new graphics are very smooth, shiny, and modern, and is quite a bit "smoother" than the previous package, which contained lots of intricate geometric shapes.

[yt]IAeCU8Js8rw[/yt]

The station also rolled out new music with the package, no doubt composed by Chris Crane, who has composed custom themes for the station for the last 20 years.

About the only thing that didn't see an update was the newsroom, which still uses a good number of 4:3 CRT monitors as it's backdrop.

How do people even watch this?

There are like 90 seconds of "headlines" (re: sensationalized infotainment), the open, then a 30 second teaser for the first story, then the story proper.

It's absolutely ludicrous.

How do people even watch this?

There are like 90 seconds of "headlines" (re: sensationalized infotainment), the open, then a 30 second teaser for the first story, then the story proper.

It's absolutely ludicrous.

What works in one market won't work in another. It obviously works here, #1 in South Florida

That news opening was awful to say the least. Their news opening is almost cartoonish and unrealistic for a major market newscast opening. I understand having your local identity, but really WSVN?

I could feasibly understand this flying in Southern California, but South Florida??? Yeah, I prefer they keep it simple rather than sensational and long-drawn.

I guess I'm the only guy on the topic who likes the graphics that look like SportsCenter.

SportsCenter-type graphics work for sports. They don't work for serious news operations. Graphics-wise, stations like WBZ and KLAS get it right - simple, good-looking graphics that don't intrude into the actual story or serve as a distraction. Meanwhile, WSVN works in every gradient, shine effect, 3D element, and whoosh sound known to man, along with having a twenty-minute open, and it invokes the image of trashy television like Inside Edition or ET. They do not give off the appearance of a serious newscast with integrity.

With that dramatic, cutting-edge music, WSVN's ready to trailblaze this second decade of the 21st century.

As for the 2:00 open, remember that the 10 has to compete with primetime shows, so they MUST hook the lead-in by the time the other shows' opening credits and/or commercials are over. Apparently, Miamians will tolerate two minutes worth of hyped-up headlines, or else the #1 station wouldn't keep doing them.

Archived