WCBS broadcasting from the newsroom

IceManNYR

They were in the studio this morning.

Anyways, their set is big, but needs an update.

You are so right. I guess they are waiting to see how WABC set will look before they make a final decision. Can you really blame them. It seems like the sets are going away from the wood look to more tvs and white panaling.

They were in the studio this morning.

Anyways, their set is big, but needs an update.

More than that - they're using a set that's going on what, 8/9 years at this point? Without any serious modifications? I mean I found it funny that KYW had to replace every logo on every surface (they went from full CBS3 to Eye-3HD), but WCBS still has a logo version on their set that hasn't been used in 4-5 years.

I have to wonder, though, if that KPIX set is going to wind up at WCBS. That wouldn't be too bad if that were indeed the case...

Kristine Johnson just told mee over twitter that they are getting a new set and will broadcast from the news room for several weeks..seems every station is getting a new set over the next few months.. i guess they will have it ready just in time for the sweeps period?

Wow, this sure is quite an interesting Fall season for New York TV News! Is there a possibility that this could be a refresh for the WCBS set, though? I'm asking because of what Kristine Johnson said about the time frame they'll be in the newsroom.

Wow, this sure is quite an interesting Fall season for New York TV News! Is there a possibility that this could be a refresh for the WCBS set, though? I'm asking because of what Kristine Johnson said about the time frame they'll be in the newsroom.

A month is MORE than enough time to build an entirely new set. The reason it took so long at WABC was because of all the reconfiguring and construction that had to be done at 147 Columbus in order to make a former retail space, turned into office space, into a television studio.

Since WCBS is obviously using CBS 46 still, there is no reason why a month wouldn't be plenty of time.

Geoffrey - any info from your end?

Sorry I spoke like a total newbie there...it is true that CBS 2 isn't moving from their current location at Studio 46..I definitely erred there!! Got caught up on how long WABC was taking, and forgot what it was like making a set while staying in the same studio!! Reviewing what I said...it sure sounded stupid...=[

Wow, so WABC and now WCBS, interesting move for them. They needed it more than all of the stations though lol. They had the most dated and oldest looking set. Anyway yeah a very exciting time to be in tr New York Market witnessing the debut of a new studio. But yeah it shouldn't take much time for them to build a set unlike WABC since they are simply rebuilding their current set rather than starting from scratch like WABC did.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this set fairs comparing to the upcoming WABC set debut.

Also apparently WNBC is rumored to be looking to upgrade too from what I remember is that true?

All right; here's my two cents on this situ about sets in the New York Market:

• WABC has just made a band-spanking-new set from a former retail store space in their HQs on Columbus Square. The set will debut this weekend.
  • WNBC heard about this and is planning to make a bigger brand-spanking-new over at 30 Rock. That set will debut sometime next year.
  • WCBS also heard about this and is also planning to make a brand-spanking-new set at the CBS Broadcasting Center. (It recently moved its newscasts to its newsroom.) That set will come about next month.

So I say in the words of the great Inspector Gadget: Wowsers.

For the next few months, the New York Market (and the country) will see a fight between stations not only about which station has the best newscast and newsteam, but also which has the best studio. This may be not only ridiculous but also humorous and intesting. We'll just see what happens when all 3 stations debut their new sets soon.

Thank you. And Wowsers.

OK to clear this up.. Stations do not look at one another and say , Hey, Since WXXX is doing this then we have to do this also. Sets are VERY costly and takes months and months of planning prior to construction to start. It is just a coincidence that WCBS is redoing their set the same time WABC is ready to launch. Nothing is confirmed from WNBC by the way!

OK to clear this up.. Stations do not look at one another and say , Hey, Since WXXX is doing this then we have to do this also. Sets are VERY costly and takes months and months of planning prior to construction to start. It is just a coincidence that WCBS is redoing their set the same time WABC is ready to launch. Nothing is confirmed from WNBC by the way!

Exactly I doubt they just decided to change their set last week after all this WABC set talk. It takes a lof of time and budgeting for it to happen.

I cant imagine how the WCBS set is going to look like. I thinks they are going to go away from the wood theme and be more modern. Like I said earlier, the sets are going towards more LCD tv's and white panaling than anything. They been planning this for months because KPIX just got a new set, CBS the Early Show is getting a new set so it is just natural for WCBS to get a set. It is all in the broadcast budgets. Just how GMA and WABC got there sets done around the same time so when WNBC gets their new set, I won't be suprise if Today gets one too. On Newscast Studio, NBC Nightly News is also redoing it set for Brian Williams.

I cant imagine how the WCBS set is going to look like. I thinks they are going to go away from the wood theme and be more modern. Like I said earlier, the sets are going towards more LCD tv's and white panaling than anything. They been planning this for months because KPIX just got a new set, CBS the Early Show is getting a new set so it is just natural for WCBS to get a set. It is all in the broadcast budgets. Just how GMA and WABC got there sets done around the same time so when WNBC gets their new set, I won't be suprise if Today gets one too. On Newscast Studio, NBC Nightly News is also redoing it set for Brian Williams.

I'm really angry that The Early Show is moving from their street side studios to inside the Broadcast Center. Seriously? I wonder if they will keep the space at the GM Building.

I'm really angry that The Early Show is moving from their street side studios to inside the Broadcast Center. Seriously? I wonder if they will keep the space at the GM Building.

Probably not. This actually saving them money. I really miss them going out onto the plaza, I think this going to last for about a year and then they are going to change the format again. They should hire the old Executive Producer who use to be on GMA and went to them but was fired because she had problems with Julie Chen and an artercation with Harry Smith. She did brought the show ratings.....

Probably not. This actually saving them money. I really miss them going out onto the plaza, I think this going to last for about a year and then they are going to change the format again. They should hire the old Executive Producer who use to be on GMA and went to them but was fired because she had problems with Julie Chen and an artercation with Harry Smith. She did brought the show ratings.....

So I have a feeling they won't be going back to the fun morning show, with interviews, plaza concerts and cooking segments.

So I have a feeling they won't be going back to the fun morning show, with interviews, plaza concerts and cooking segments.

For now. They are going to realize that nobody care about that "hard news" concept and gradually go back to the old cooking segments that I really enjoy.

Archived